Print

Author Topic: Strangest control schemes  (Read 8961 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:47:09 PM »
I nominate the upcoming version of Resident Evil 4. The orginial already had a pretty weird one (at first), but the Wii version sounds crazy. Basically, you swing the controller to knife nearby enemies; you just swing it, that's all. You hold down B (the trigger button, usually used for shooting) to draw your gun, and A to shoot. The article I read said nothing about reloading or how the D-Pad will be used. For the events that usually require mashng A (or X on the PS2), you must instead wiggle the controller left and right, which sounds tiring. Of course, it may end up being very easy-to-use, but on paper, at least, it sounds bizarre.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »
As much as I liked Kirby Air Ride, I gotta admit that having one button do everything in a racing game is a bit of an eyebrow-raiser.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:41:59 PM »
I nominate Wario Ware: Smooth Moves for the Wii.

If you haven't played that title, I can't explain it. It's just a game that has to be experienced at least once.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:29:48 PM »
I nominate Wario Ware: Smooth Moves for the Wii.

If you haven't played that title, I can't explain it. It's just a game that has to be experienced at least once.

So, are you saying it's good or bad? I thought it was awesome, but everyone has different opinions.

Back one topic. Strangest control sceme? Hm... well, the control sceme they start you off with in NSMB was pretty akward. Same goes for YIDS. Thank goodness you can change them.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:57:29 PM »
Isn't the default for YIDS the same as YI for the SNES?
I hate any control scheme that begs you to touch your screen with your thumb. NSMB and SPP have this going on. You think your frequently-used part of the screen to touch will get my DS Lite, do you?! I think not! I will hold the stylus between my fingers and show you all! Grrrrrr...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 05:25:21 AM »
In SM64DS I often used my thumb to adjust the camera. Speaking of SM64DS, why did it require you to have to use the touch screen for pretty much everything? That got annoying.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 07:15:58 AM »

Yeah, but I played the GBA remake, so was accustomed to those controls.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »
When I played the demo for MP Hunters, none of the schemes felt good. Nintendo seemed obsessed with using the touch screen to both aim and shoot by having you tap to shoot, which felt bizarre. I just wanted a regular FPS control scheme. Thankfully, the full version felt great. I wished the GC MP games used an FPS control scheme; I find it annoying to use the right stick for weapon switching and having to hold down a button just to look up and down.
every

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 08:10:04 PM »
So, are you saying it's good or bad? I thought it was awesome, but everyone has different opinions.

Back one topic. Strangest control sceme? Hm... well, the control sceme they start you off with in NSMB was pretty akward. Same goes for YIDS. Thank goodness you can change them.

I'm saying it's extremely good, but if somebody has yet to experience the Wario Ware series, then words alone cannot describe the insanity that ensues. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »
My boyfriend let me play Wario: Master of Disguise and I couldn't get into it at all because it handles horribly for me. Since I'm a lefty, I had to use the ABXY buttons, but it still didn't feel right. I also ended up getting Game Boy Neck* within half an hour.

*Game Boy Neck is when your neck gets sore from having it in a certain position while playing handheld games.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 07:50:17 AM »
At least you didn't get NES Hand-Desctruction, wherein the NES controller digs into your hands and gives you cramps while simultaneously causing you carpal-tunnel syndrome.
every

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 11:46:02 AM »
I nominate the upcoming version of Resident Evil 4. The original already had a pretty weird one (at first), but the Wii version sounds crazy. Basically, you swing the controller to knife nearby enemies; you just swing it, that's all. You hold down B (the trigger button, usually used for shooting) to draw your gun, and A to shoot. The article I read said nothing about reloading or how the D-Pad will be used. For the events that usually require mashng A (or X on the PS2), you must instead wiggle the controller left and right, which sounds tiring. Of course, it may end up being very easy-to-use, but on paper, at least, it sounds bizarre.

According to Famistu, the control scheme is “easier to use” and “offers the feeling of being closer to the action as well as upping the tension”

Of course, different people have different opinions, but it sounds pretty good so far. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, just thought it might be useful to contribute.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 01:04:49 PM »
The control schemes in the Zelda Cdi games were awkward, you crouched to open up the items menu!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 08:16:01 PM »
At least you didn't get NES Hand-Desctruction, wherein the NES controller digs into your hands and gives you cramps while simultaneously causing you carpal-tunnel syndrome.

NES Hand-Destruction, eh? I never heard of that one. I shall have to add that to the list of gaming injuries which includes Mario Kart Thumb, Virtual Headache and the dreaded Mario Party Palm. Thanks Glorb.

And I completely forgot about the CD-i Zeldas. That does sound rather unorthodox.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »
I've said this before, and I'll say it again; as far as I'm concerned, the CD-i Zeldas NEVER existed outside the many YouTube poops.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:02 PM »
I've never gotten a headache from my Virtual Boy.
That was a joke.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 01:37:14 AM »
And I've never gotten a boyache from my Virtual Head.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 08:49:09 AM »
The Virtual Boy was DESIGNED to give headaches. Trust me, if horrible, blurry, flashy red-and-black screens pressed up against your eyeballs doesn't give you a migraine within four minutes, you're superhuman. If it doesn't kill you within five, you're magic.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 01:20:44 PM »
I guess Chup and I aren't ordinary by your standards.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 01:45:28 PM »
Or when the bright screens of the DS blinds you and hurts your eyes, hey, It's happened to me before.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 04:01:34 PM »
Not that I'm complaining, but my siblings hate playing MP2 multiplayer because they aren't used to the control scheme (and they can't figure out how I manage to kill them while they're invisible, because they haven't experimented with the controls enough or played through the game enough to know what the Dark Visor does). Also, the Pokémon Diamond/Pearl control scheme is pretty odd if you've been playing LeafGreen extensively, because of trying to adjust to using Y instead of Select to activate the bicycle.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 09:07:10 AM »
Uh, horrible, blurry? The VB display is neither.
Definitely not blurry. You just don't know how to use one.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »
It's blurry to me because I wear glasses, and when it's that close to my eyes it's very blurry. But then again, I'm not magic or superhuman.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 11:27:01 PM »
You need to freakin' adjust the focus slide.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 12:51:54 PM »
Whatever. Man, it's just my personal experience. Maybe I have eye problems. But regardless, the Virtual Boy was weird.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 07:24:13 PM »
So, you back off from your claims only to reiterate them. I'm confused!
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 05:45:20 PM »
I hate any control scheme that begs you to touch your screen with your thumb. NSMB and SPP have this going on. You think your frequently-used part of the screen to touch will get my DS Lite, do you?! I think not! I will hold the stylus between my fingers and show you all! Grrrrrr...
I grew my fingernails long just for that purpose. (and to play guitar) (and self defense) (come to think of it, I use my finger nails for pretty much everything)
"it's always the present"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »
Fingernails are also good for unscrewung screws, and poking people really hard.
every

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 11:44:17 AM »
Oh yes. Long fingernails are surprisingly good for defending against big bossy sisters. ...I wonder if my oldest sister still has that scar?

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 06:15:10 PM »
I didn't like the way Nintendo mapped the SNES controls for the Gamecube controller on the Virtual Console. It's extremely awkward. It's their way of saying "just buy the Classic Controller." Conversely, I thought that SM64 was easier to operate using the GC controller.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:17:41 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 09:09:53 PM »
Not that there's a good way to map SNES to GCN.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »
I can see how the GC controller can be a problem in some SNES games (SMW, unless the controls were changed... in which case I assume the X button makes you spin jump, in which case the A button is too big and in the way). In some games it doesn't really matter, what I've played of LoZ:ALttP has been unhindered by the controller. RPGs should be considerably easier than sidescrollers, except SMRPG may need some remapping for the overworld. Quite... I'll worry about that if and when I get a game that's tough for a GC controller to handle.
As for N64 games, I bet the GC controller is much better than the N64 one. I'll find out when SSB gets here (assuming I don't get my N64 cart back).
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2007, 05:49:52 AM »
...a game that's tough for a GC controller to handle...

See any of the failed attempts at porting fighting games and shooters to the GC.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2007, 10:21:21 PM »
I was talking about Virtual Console games, Glorb.
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
Ever played an ocarina with a C stick?  It stinks.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »
That's one of the things I'm worried about regarding the VC N64 games. The VC controller has 6 buttons and two analog sticks; the N64 controller had 9 buttons (Land R, the C buttons, A, B, and Z) and one stick. Apparently that means mapping the C buttons to the right stick and the Z button to...I don't know. Of course, the games are optimized and whatnot, so I guess it'll work.
every

Print