Print

Author Topic: Sonic the Hedgehog Topic  (Read 12179 times)

« on: October 20, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »
Yes, I'm going to bandwagon with the current topic names, and make a topic about one of our favorite Hedgehogs.

My favorite game right now is Heroes, and I'm trying to get all 'A's for every mission. I also like Riders as well.

Personally, I like the 2D Sonic a lot more, since I had Mega Collection and Gems, but I gave them to my friend before I moved away.

Oh, and I guess I like Sonic X, even the dub. I just miss the old cartoons by DiC, like AoStH, which I'm planning to get on DVD. Sadly, I've never seen SatAM.

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 04:13:13 PM »
I have collected the Archie Sonic comics since they started. At the beginning I was tiny and poor, so I have a sparse scattering until around 40, (earliest is 3) and virtually every comic after that except for a year gap where my subscription lapsed and I forgot or was at college or something. I'm also missing Knuckles 1.

But yeah, the comic is great! It's like the SatAM cartoon that never ended.

My favorite is the horrendously complicated Echidna history. They don't do much of that since Knuckles ended, though. :(

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 05:14:07 PM »
Meh. The 2D games were simply holding down "right" on the D-pad. I tried liking the Secret Rings but the tedious music and boring gameplay talked me out of it.

Sorry, but Sonic just doesn't have that "spark" that Mario does.
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »
Never even heard of the comics 'til a couple of years ago, and was never, ever, up early enough for the saturday morining show. However, I caught the 'Adventures of' quite a bit. I couldn't get enough of it. I used to draw sonic in school too, back in the early '90s.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 05:26:54 PM »
I am a huge fan of the games, but I stopped collecting comics a looooooong time ago. I have about 50 of 'em, but they're not 1-50. There more like....115-170 with a few missing. I actually don't like the comics at all because the storyline is so complicated. I like the older Sonic games better than the newer ones.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 05:30:14 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 06:03:14 PM »
Hmm, you might cover my gap. Would ya be interested in possibly selling me some comic books?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 08:29:26 PM »
The 2D games are awesome.  Ever seen AoStH?  Robotnik, Sratch, and Grounder were the best!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 11:36:07 PM »
Hmm, you might cover my gap. Would ya be interested in possibly selling me some comic books?

Well, to tell you the truth, they aren't really mine, they're my sister's. We had 'em all in a huge bucket...but that was before we moved, so I might not have them anymore (the bucket was filled with an assortment of other things like old drawings and trading cards; it was a huge mess). I'll try and see if I can find some.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 11:40:55 PM by PaperLuigi »

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:04:56 PM »
Sonic, huh?
 Well, I like the 2-D games a lot better than I like the 3-D ones. Also, the (lyricless) music of the series has got to be some of my favorite music, ever.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 10:40:56 AM »
I like the 2-d games, but Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are my favorites. I really liked how there was an actual story and the characters could actually talk. (unlike the Mario games, grr...) I think the perfect game would be like Sonic Adventure 2, but with only the speed stages.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 10:33:30 PM »
3D Sonic games, to me, always end up being poo. I mean, the entire point of a Sonic game is to go from left to right as fast as you can, and collect some rings and doodads along to way so you can get to a special stage to get a chaos emerald and get the Super Secret True Best Ending. None of that fancy fishing stuff. Even the speed stages felt, to me, kind of off.
every

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 08:14:23 AM »
-
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 12:20:47 PM by Yoshikév »

Hacker Pikachu 25

• Technicolor nightmare
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 07:05:41 PM »
I have Shadow the Hedgehog, Heroes, and Mega Collection. I really like Heroes' opening song. Pure awesome.
Klonoa is the best game I've played YET!!!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »
I have Mega Collection, Gems Collection, SADX, SA2B, and Heroes. Eventually, I'm going to get Shadow the Hedgehog, since it sounds more like a true sequel to Sonic Adventure 2 than Sonic Heroes was. (story-wise, at least).

Speaking of SA2, I still need to get all the emblems so I can unlock Green Hill Zone. Knuckles' and Rouge's space stages are really hard to get the extra emblems for, though...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 12:38:20 AM »
Shadow the Hedgehog is also reported to have one of the worst control schemes in recent memory.
That was a joke.

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 07:55:16 AM »
Eventually, I'm going to get Shadow the Hedgehog, since it sounds more like a true sequel to Sonic Adventure 2 than Sonic Heroes was. (story-wise, at least).

Dude, take my word for it, Shadow the Hedgehog is a bad game.

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 09:20:41 PM »
As of now, I'm trying for a copy of Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 03:30:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure that game was never released/finished.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

silverstarman

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »
Sonic Jam WAS released. You're probably thinking of SOnic Xtreme.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 11:58:43 PM »
aaahhhh Sonic my first game ive ever played. Infact I dident even know about Mario intil a year after that. So far I have Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Adventure (gamecube) and Sonic Mega Collection. I used to be a Sonic fan for about 4 years. But then I got a n64 and became a Nintendo fan from then to now. I prety much collect alot of Nintendo stuff now. I have atleast 80 games that they made O_o
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 08:07:56 AM »
Shadow is and aways will be the best

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »
Uh...he is?

silverstarman

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 11:46:34 AM »

That can't be true, because after his debut in Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic games have been getting worse and worse.

I like Knuckles the best :D

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »
Coincidence.

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »
Shadow is okay, but he really hasn't done anything to pull Sonic out of his funk.

silverstarman

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 09:45:17 PM »
Kinda. Sonic games, one after another, were awsome. He went untouched. And then after Sonic Adventure 2, he's been kinda slipping. It just seems...odd.

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 09:50:58 PM »
Well, maybe after getting stomped by Sony, the Sonic Team just stopped trying.

silverstarman

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
That's also possible.

I wish Sega didn't give up. I loved the Dreamcast :(

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 09:10:08 AM »

He destroyed the franchise. That, and Sega being acquired by Sammy. Since then, everything within Sega had been chopped up, passed out to different no-name developers, then pasted back together with no precision.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 09:31:07 AM »
^ "Sammy"?

It's funny... I hate the dumbing-down of some game series over time, but the Sonic games are the ones that were fine the way they were. Somehow, Sega and/or Sonic Team is continually laboring under the delusion that people want the series to become more sophisticated--thus, we get stupidly dramatic emo-rock soundtracks, mild cursing, and human/Sonic relationships in the newer games. Like I said, mindless entertainment really does insult my intelligence mosr of the time, but "press right to win" is the one formula that I'm totally happy with!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2007, 11:28:39 AM »
Sammy is a Japanese Pachinko company that also develops and publishes games. And I guess now they merged with Sega.
That was a joke.

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
I remember renting Sonic & the Secret Rings and instantly returning it in less than an hour because it had a 1-song soundtrack. The song was, like:

"Ben feeliz ee dough!"
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »
You must hate Bubble Bobble too.

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »
...thus, we get stupidly dramatic emo-rock soundtracks, mild cursing, and human/Sonic relationships in the newer games.

Yeah, I don't understand why we need the cursing. When Sonic first said "d*mn" I thought "Well, I doubt the parents of young children are going to be happy about this." Sure enough, it caused a bit of an uproar. Really a stupid thing to do, all for the sake of being "hip" and "real". Not to mention the word was said in the worst "Sonic" game of all time, Shadow the Hedgehog.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »
Wait, was it Sonic or Shadow who said it? 'Cause I thought it was Shadow.

Also, I think it was kinda dumb how they just threw a "d*mn" into Metroid Prime 3. I mean, I don't know how much swearing is in the Halo games--I don't play 'em--but I think that if Retro wanted to hang with Bungie as the sci-fi game masta, they should've stopped at ugly alien villans and new, elaborate visor designs.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 10:34:03 PM »
"Sir the aliens have attacked!"
"Well, Gee Wizz"

Doesn't have the same impact.

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »
Wait, was it Sonic or Shadow who said it? 'Cause I thought it was Shadow.

Both of them say it. Sonic says it sparingly, but he says it nonetheless. Shadow uses it in practically every sentence. Sonic also uses the word "p*ss".
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:53:22 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 12:04:30 AM »
What I believe should be done to the Sonic franchise is that they separate it into two sub-series: a darker, more mature series featuring complex plots etc, and a lighter series more reminiscent of the older Genesis games, with happier music, a more-light hearted feel, and more classic gameplay along with the simpler plots. That way, those who like the newer plots get what they want, and those who prefer the classics get their nostalgia fix.

Sonic also uses the word "p*ss".

Just for the record, he never says it in the final game; it was replaced by the word 'tick' in both instances where it was to be used.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 01:32:34 AM »
"Hey Shadow, stand guard. I gotta go behind this tree and take a tick."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 01:45:02 AM »
I'm not opposed to a little dialogue writing when the situation and personality of the character saying it fits (so Metroid might be well within my grounds here). Sonic on the other hand, not so much.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 09:55:46 AM »
"Sir the aliens have attacked!"
"Well, Gee Wizz"

Doesn't have the same impact.
I know, I know... it's just, well, you could tell it was kinda forced.

On a separate note, how much swearing does there have to be in a game for the ESRB to point it out? They threw in a "h3ll" in DK64, and, of course, the aforementioned Metroid moment, but there's nothing on the rating about it. Also, Donkey Konga 2 got a "T" for "Mild Lyrics", but I can't hear any swearwords in any song in that game (I mean, they bleeped an f-bomb out of "It's Been A While", but that's obviously not going to be in the game).

"Hey Shadow, stand guard. I gotta go behind this tree and take a tick."
LOL

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2008, 05:22:44 PM »
On a separate note, how much swearing does there have to be in a game for the ESRB to point it out? They threw in a "h3ll" in DK64
It was a different time, my good man.  Back when ESRB was more lenient on the ratings.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »
Also, back before the existence of E10+.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
They threw in a "h3ll" in DK64
Yeah, I'm probably not the only one who finds it amusing that it was "hell" in an E-rated game and "heck" in a T-rated game (SSBM).
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2008, 09:48:28 PM »
some things are getting too ironic these days!
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 10:46:25 PM »
Yeah, these days, seven years ago!
That was a joke.

Print