Poll

What is your favorite of the 3-D action Mario games?

Super Mario 64
9 (34.6%)
Super Mario Sunshine
1 (3.8%)
Super Mario Galaxy
15 (57.7%)
They all stink!
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Print

Author Topic: What is YOUR favorite of the trilogy?  (Read 15673 times)

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 02:48:41 AM »
I searched again, you're right, it's not hard to find anymore. Took a while to find the FDS  bios, but that doesn't matter.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 08:57:57 AM »
Currently a tie between SM64 and SMG.  I'll have to wait a few years to see how well SMG withstands the tests of time.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 09:36:28 AM »
In fact, the 'real' trilogy was Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3. The Doki Doki Panic version of SMB2 that you mention is part of the European and American trilogy. The Japanese SMB2 was the best SMB2. Unfortunately, the ROM is difficult to find, but that can't be helped.
Just thought I'd mention. I always like to think that the official is the 'original' official, which in this case is the Japanese official.

Anyway, I voted Super Mario 64. I like that one, as it reminds me of the 2D games because of the power-ups. It's certainly a classic.

Yes but this is an English/American site and therefore SMB2 (American) is a part of the trilogy since the other one was only release in Japan and basically is SMB1 just different levels and maybe a couple of new items. 
Go Vols!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 11:00:10 AM »
It's been released here thrice. And even once in its original form!
That was a joke.

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 09:04:23 PM »
I like them all...

Super Mario 64 was good, yet it bores me when I think of its obscure levels and hub. (You feel trapped inside a castle)
Super Mario Sunshine was awesome. A bit boring, but still awesome.
Super Mario Galaxy is perfect. I beat it already (Yes, my file is sparkling, therefore I beat it completely), and it hints at a sequel. Nice too.

I voted Galaxy. It's fun, pure Mario and...epic!

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 03:27:16 PM »
Yes but this is an English/American site and therefore SMB2 (American) is a part of the trilogy since the other one was only release in Japan and basically is SMB1 just different levels and maybe a couple of new items. 
All I was getting at was that the Japanese trilogy is the original. If the American/European trilogy wasn't referred to as the original trilogy, I would have said nothing.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »
All I was getting at was that the Japanese trilogy is the original. If the American/European trilogy wasn't referred to as the original trilogy, I would have said nothing.

In Japan, the Japanese trilogy is the original.

In American, the American trilogy is the original.

However, SMB2 Japan is basically SMB1 with a couple of new items and enemies. 
Go Vols!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 10:16:25 PM »
Aside from the fact that it has more levels and that all of its levels are different from the previous game. And that Luigi as a playable character changes the mechanics of the game. Yeah, you sure do know your facts.

SamBeckett94 is correct.
That was a joke.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 10:20:47 PM »
Aside from the fact that it has more levels and that all of its levels are different from the previous game. And that Luigi as a playable character changes the mechanics of the game. Yeah, you sure do know your facts.

SamBeckett94 is correct.

Luigi is playable in SMB1.  Still the same template though.  Just like Doom 1 and Doom 2 for computer.  Doom 2 had about 8 new enemies, different levels, one new weapon, and some other stuff but basically it ran off the same templates. 
Go Vols!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »
It ran off a modified version of the SMB engine. Mario's physics, the items, the enemies, and the way enemies react are pretty much the only "templates" from the original as far as gameplay goes. Luigi is radically different in SMB2J, thus your point about Luigi being playable in SMB is moot. Not to mention SMB2J is a much harder and in my opinion better game than SMB.
That was a joke.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2007, 10:30:20 PM »
It ran off a modified version of the SMB engine. Mario's physics, the items, the enemies, and the way enemies react are pretty much the only "templates" from the original as far as gameplay goes. Luigi is radically different in SMB2J, thus your point about Luigi being playable in SMB is moot. Not to mention SMB2J is a much harder and in my opinion better game than SMB.

It is harder, but it is still very much the same template and basically the same game, only with minor tweaks and changes.

SMB2 American was a totally new experience, nothing like SMB1.  It was unique and still is in the Mario series. 
Go Vols!

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »
Also my main point was that in America and Europe, the original trilogy was SMB1, SMB 2 American, SMB 3 because we did not get to see SMB2J until All-Stars on the SNES. 
Go Vols!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 11:08:46 PM »
"Basically the same game" is wildly inaccurate. "Minor tweaks and changes" implies that the majority of the game is the same as the first, which is also completely wrong. The levels are all different.
That was a joke.

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 06:08:58 AM »
Also my main point was that in America and Europe, the original trilogy was SMB1, SMB 2 American, SMB 3 because we did not get to see SMB2J until All-Stars on the SNES. 
No, there was no European or American original trilogy. There was only the real original trilogy. As SMB2J came out before SMB2 USA in Japan, the Japanese trilogy is the original. The European and American trilogy was not the original. There can be only one original.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »
"Basically the same game" is wildly inaccurate. "Minor tweaks and changes" implies that the majority of the game is the same as the first, which is also completely wrong. The levels are all different.

True but they still have all the same template.  You can now get level editors on P.C.s and make your own Mario Brothers levels.  Does that make it and entirely different game? 

However, the argument was that America did not get this game on the NES... so growing up in the NES age, the trilogy to everyone around was Mario Brothers 1, Mario Brothers 2 American, Mario Brothers 3.  In America in late 80s and early 90s if you were to say Mario Brothers Trilogy, that was what it was. 
Go Vols!

Print