No
6 (20%)
Maybe
7 (23.3%)
Not Sure
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Print

Author Topic: New Yoshi Game  (Read 31333 times)

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »
Have you ever seen a pink dragon that spits out lemonade and hovers by rapidly flailing its legs?
yes, the old lady that lives next to me owns one! XD
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »
I think it's a better game than a lot of people give it credit for.

I feel that way, too. It's not a bad game, it just isn't a very good Mario game.

yes, the old lady that lives next to me owns one! XD

I'd swear that you were going to say the old lady that lives next to you is one. XD
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2008, 09:14:38 AM »
Going back to it after I played Galaxy, I realized that the camera blows and most of the later missions are physically impossible. Still, I think it's a better game than a lot of people give it credit for.
I still don't get it. I never had camera problems and got everything but all the blue coins with not too much difficulty.

I actually like most of it. The fact that these worlds were huge and sprawling made me wish there was more than just tropical stuff going on, but that really wasn't what I hated about it the most. What I didn't like was the lack of automatic camera movement (like in SM64) and the removal of the "three zoom/pan" style camera (also like in SM64). FLUDD was cool, but half the game's potential was wasted on using the [darn] thing to clean up gunk, which is probably why everyone loves those inhumanely hard secret sub-courses. Yoshi was underused and underpowered. Some things were just unforgiving, like the blue coins and dying for not completing a challenge such as the Blooper races. Another problem with the "clean up all the gunk" aspect was that the game's story suffered because of it. The introduction of Bowser Jr. and the "I'm your mama?" plot point didn't help. Oh, and Mount Corona should've been a full-fledged world with actual burning lava.

Had all those flaws been fixed, I'd probably like Sunshine better than Galaxy at this point.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2008, 01:54:09 PM »
everyone loves those inhumanely hard secret sub-courses. Yoshi was underused and underpowered.
No to the first sentence, yes to the second (he had a real glitchy-looking tounge, but at least he showed up at all).

Some things were just unforgiving, like the blue coins and dying for not completing a challenge such as the Blooper races.
Yes, and yes.

Another problem with the "clean up all the gunk" aspect was that the game's story suffered because of it. The introduction of Bowser Jr. and the "I'm your mama?" plot point didn't help.
I was glad it actually had a plot. That was part of what diminished the excitement of Galaxy for me... even if you hated the voice acting and story of SMS, it still felt like a step backwards to remove them.
Oh, and Mount Corona should've been a full-fledged world with actual burning lava.
I know there are multiple meanings to that word, but I still keep thinking "Mt. Beer" or "Mt. Budweiser" every time I hear that. I think that all the areas in that game have Italian names... what's "Corona" mean?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
I think it has to do with explosions. Also, I feel that whatever plot Galaxy had beat the tar out of Sunshine's plot. At leats Galaxy felt epic and grandeur... and Bowser seemed threatening for once in a really long time. Rosalina is also a pretty neat character. All in all, both games have an equal amount of good points, as well as an equal amount of flaws. All I can do is keep praying for a game that trumps both of them as well as SM64.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2008, 04:28:31 PM »
"At least he showed up at all." That mentality is NOT Miyamoto-quality.

Plot had potential, but the incident at Pinna Park and the fact that Shadow Mario looks nothing at all like the real Mario interfere with how good it is. I was rather pleased at Galaxy's minimal voice acting.

The corona is a layer of the sun (or around it, I can't quite remember).

The setting of Sunshine deals damage to the game's quality, too. Since Super Mario Bros. 2 there have always been ice levels in Mario platformers--except Sunshine. Super Mario 64 had worlds that made very little sense, like Tick Tock Clock. Not Sunshine. All of Sunshine's worlds share the theme of water and beaches except for Pianta village and, partly, Pinna Park and Sirena Beach.

Galaxy is infinitely better than Sunshine.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:30:55 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »
"At least he showed up at all." That mentality is NOT Miyamoto-quality.

Plot had potential, but the incident at Pinna Park and the fact that Shadow Mario looks nothing at all like the real Mario interfere with how good it is. I was rather pleased at Galaxy's minimal voice acting.

The corona is a layer of the sun (or around it, I can't quite remember).

The setting of Sunshine deals damage to the game's quality, too. Since Super Mario Bros. 2 there have always been ice levels in Mario platformers--except Sunshine. Super Mario 64 had worlds that made very little sense, like Tick Tock Clock. Not Sunshine. All of Sunshine's worlds share the theme of water and beaches except for Pianta village and, partly, Pinna Park and Sirena Beach.

Galaxy is infinitely better than Sunshine.
also EVERY SINGLE level in Sunshine had at least 1 body of water.
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »
Well, you kind of need it to fill FLUDD, but that doesn't mean all levels should have an ocean in them.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2008, 05:46:02 PM »
Which once again harkens back to my point about FLUDD taking up half the game.

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
I actually like most of it. The fact that these worlds were huge and sprawling made me wish there was more than just tropical stuff going on, but that really wasn't what I hated about it the most. What I didn't like was the lack of automatic camera movement (like in SM64) and the removal of the "three zoom/pan" style camera (also like in SM64). FLUDD was cool, but half the game's potential was wasted on using the [darn] thing to clean up gunk, which is probably why everyone loves those inhumanely hard secret sub-courses. Yoshi was underused and underpowered. Some things were just unforgiving, like the blue coins and dying for not completing a challenge such as the Blooper races. Another problem with the "clean up all the gunk" aspect was that the game's story suffered because of it. The introduction of Bowser Jr. and the "I'm your mama?" plot point didn't help. Oh, and Mount Corona should've been a full-fledged world with actual burning lava.

Had all those flaws been fixed, I'd probably like Sunshine better than Galaxy at this point.

You're half right. Yoshi was underused, but he wasn't underpowered. He could jump 2x higher than Mario, flutter, turn enemies into platforms, eat enemies from afar and 360 degrees. The only bad part was that he couldn't swim, which makes no sense other than to make one mission in Delfino Plaza way harder than it already is. I actual love Sunshine's camera system. It was very flexible and pretty much worked for almost any occasion. Galaxy's camera was okay too. I remember hearing awhile back that it had completely automatic camera control. I was worried, but almost everyone said it was flawless. However, I'm guessing put in the extra camera movement because some areas were bad. Overall, Sunshine's beats Galaxy's but neither of them really gave me any problems. Good, but honestly, the times when I needed it the most were when it was disabled...

Going back to it after I played Galaxy, I realized that the camera blows and most of the later missions are physically impossible. Still, I think it's a better game than a lot of people give it credit for.

Very true, it is a better game than most people say it is. Overall, I beat Galaxy twice and tried beating Sunshine again. Sunshine is easy to begin with, but it sometimes feels like a chore with the harder levels appearing later. And yes, on my first run-through for Sunshine, I did get all of the Blue Coins. And boy was I glad when they replaced them with Purple Coins in Galaxy. (I guess they fused Red coins because they are hidden in one level, and Blue Coins because there are a lot of them and got Purple Coins). Finally, Sunshine tries to build on 64, but Galaxy steals SMB series and kicks Sunshine in the shin.

« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2008, 07:20:46 PM »
what's "Corona" mean?
"Crown"?

Plot had potential, but the incident at Pinna Park and the fact that Shadow Mario looks nothing at all like the real Mario interfere with how good it is.
Come on, everyone knows Mario always wears a purple gel suit when he goes on a vandalism spree.  Also, Shadow looks exactly like Sonic.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2008, 07:31:05 PM »
Shadow doesn't look EXACTLY like Sonic...

-Color (obviously)
-Shoes are completely different.
-Shadows head hair points up, where a sonics goes down.
-Shadow has a small amount of hair on his chest.
-Shadow has two gold bracelets, from what I remember.
-Shadows skin color is darker.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »
Sarcazm detector iz broked.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »
Oh, a sarcasm detector! That's a real useful invention! *sarcasm detector explodes*
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »
I don't recall if I said this already, but seeing as Mount Corona was discussed recently, I thought I would share my thoughts..

Mt Corona feels a bit odd to me. The first time I played it, I thought it felt like Mario was taking a fire extinguisher against the fires of the underworld.

I really hated the fight against Bowser. It was too easy, and the only reason I died the first time was because the game glitches a little bit and when you are charging up for a super jump and the tub is crumbling, Mario can be launched through the pieces of the tub to fall to his doom.

Bowser's voice was ok (it makes me think of those creatures that lived above the ground in the Fraggle Rock show), but I strongly dislike Bowser Jr. I have accepted the fact that he is Bowser's son, but that still doesn't change my opinion of him (there are better Koopa Kids out there. Give us Morton Koopa Jr instead of this!)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print