Poll

In SSBM, what do you press to jump?

Y
X
Tap-Up, only
Print

Author Topic: The Capriole Conundrum  (Read 12111 times)

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 12:33:38 PM »
I definitely use Y.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »
X

You can't jump as far when you use up, because you can't tap up and left/right at the same time. You might argue that you can tap diagonally to jump farther, but it will slow you down when you double jump, to move the analog stick to the top, hence taking the pressure off of your horizontal movement.

If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 09:34:53 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »
I hate tapping up.  Say I want to perform an upward smash on the ground, but I accidentally do not tap up and press A simultaneously, thus resulting in me jumping.  It's annoying!  Especially when you're trying to whack opponents out of your way.  I stick with X when I want to jump.  I used the down C button for jumping back on N64.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 11:20:25 PM »
P.S. Tapping up fails.

Why? It works just fine for me.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 01:10:58 AM »
The logical and sensical arguments proving Y's superiority over X and Up have already been laid out in this thread.

And to the people on Page 1 yammering about custom controls, read the poll more carefully. I thwarted your nonsense before you began to spew it.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 09:20:11 AM »
After taking a quick look at a gamecube controller, I realize that I actually press the Y button.

I always mix up the X and Y buttons.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:12 AM »
Looking at the controller, I've never actually paid attention as to which button I press to jump.  It's either X or Y.  I'll take a look next time I play Brawl (since I just use the GCN control scheme Melee had, minus 'tap up to jump')
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »
I use X to jump, but often switch between uses depending on the situation that I am in. I find that tapping up works extremely well for launching any aeiral combos that might occur to me in the heat of battle.

I don't think I've ever used Y, as it is in an awkward position.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
The fact that this is an ARGUMENT over which BUTTON is better is pretty funny. And sad at the same time.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »
It's a poll, not an argument.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
The fact that this is an ARGUMENT over which BUTTON is better is pretty funny. And sad at the same time.
This statement shows just how much of a giant n00b you are. It is absolutely critical to use the Y button to jump if you want to master the game.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 06:30:10 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of us who have proven that incorrect. Just as long as you don't use up.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »
So would someone explain why tapping up sucks so hard?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
It totally disables your directional control.
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »
So would someone explain why tapping up sucks so hard?
A few people already did.
"it's always the present"

Print