Melee
8 (33.3%)
Brawl
1 (4.2%)
None, they all suck
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Print

Author Topic: Which Smash Bros Announcer Is Your Favorite?  (Read 19224 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:42:11 PM »
Well, simple as that. In my opinion it's the announcer from the first game. Don't ask why, I just like it. So now tell us YOUR favorite!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:48:59 PM »
SSB. That guy was awesome.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:00:53 AM »
SSB. That guy was awesome.

Yeah. He seems to have some sort of charm.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 12:17:53 AM »
64's. He did some true announcing, save Mario's. Luigi! Ness! YO-shi!

Brawl's follows. I love the way he ominously says the names of Bowser and Ganondorf. Zelda -> Santa is amusing, and I pretty much only don't like how he says "Squir-Tull." He sounds a little too excited about Zero Suit Samus, though. And the clip for "grab the coins!" sounds like a duty a long-lost-recently-found uncle being sucked into an enemy-made black hole would pass on to his nephew. "It's your destiny! Grab the coins!" The return of "Free for all!" is welcome. I suppose "Braaaaawl!" wouldn't work too well. "New Record" is always drowned out by the audience, so I actually thought it was "Impressive!" for a while.

And I really don't like Melee's anymore. Summus. Mr. Game, and Watch. Ganondorf. BOW-zerr. Overall I say he sounds too much like a robot.

Audience cheering has just gotten worse and worse. Meta Knight's makes me believe that most are unchanged from the Japanese. "Nana! Popo! Nana! Popo!" would simplify that, too, as no change from Ice Climber to Ice Climbers would be needed. Don't really know if I prefer zombies or idealized sixth graders cheering for Yoshi. Ganondorf's zombie fans seem to have just been given caffeine. Then... "NESSNESSNESS BWAH NESSNESSNESS BWAH NESS... IT HURTS, NESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESS BWAH!" I like R.O.B.'s cheering, though. It, for some reason, reminds me of a large crowd of Hey Arnold! characters cheering for him.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »
He sounds a little too excited about Zero Suit Samus, though.

What guy isn't exited about Zero Suit Samus? Also, He sounds odd when he says "Luigi". It's not a "Luigi" but more like a "Luigi?" As if he's surprised that he's in the game.

Also:

SA-mus
Thonic
Zel-DUH

FIGHTING POLYGON TEAM
TINY MELEE

I also find it odd that all the announcers have never said "Master Hand"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »
^ I suppose there's never been any circumstances where they'd need to (even though there's a sound byte for "Giga Bowser/Koopa" in Melee)...

Well, I guess I'd have to go with Melee (can't recall SSB's well, even though I played it fairly recently). I mean, all the announcers have certain names or words they say in an odd way (I've always thought there was something... odd about how the Melee guy says "Mr. Game and Watch"). Still, "Mr. Melee", if you will, certainly is less irritating most of the time than "Mr. Brawl".

What guy isn't exited about Zero Suit Samus?
"Oh, I haven't exited Zero Suit Samus..."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 12:45:01 AM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 01:22:48 AM »
I've always thought the Melee announcer said in a very definite, reassuring tone, "Louie G. :)"
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 02:07:56 AM »
What guy isn't exited about Zero Suit Samus?
Hmmmmguys like me who aren't attracted to 3-D models on a screen.

I also find it odd that all the announcers have never said "Master Hand"
There is a voice clip for the announcement of Master Hand in Melee. It can be heard in the sound test. There wasn't a clip for Crazy Hand, though.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 07:20:58 AM »
Out of every announcer clip in Brawl, Mr. Game and Watch, Bowser and Ganondorf's are my personal favorites. I also would really, really love to see Peter Cullen be the announcer for the next Smash, if possible.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 09:20:33 AM »
The Brawl guy's "Mario" and "Wario" sound almost identical. I kinda like "LLLUCARIO" and the desperate-sounding "Grab the coins!", but saying Jigglypuff's name correctly and not shouting the name of the game on the title screen are just about deal-breakers for me. Melee guy's "Jiggly, Puff" was great.

Though I have to admit, I like Brawl guy's "Ganondorf." Very sinister-sounding, and a lot better than Melee guy's version -- though I did always get a kick out of "MARIO! luIGI! BOWser! YOUNG link! MISter GAME, AND watch! DOCtor MARio! ganondorf. RRROY!"
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:06:08 PM »
^ Agreed all the way.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »
And I really don't like Melee's anymore. Summus. Mr. Game, and Watch. Ganondorf. BOW-zerr. Overall I say he sounds too much like a robot.
The way he says "stamina" sounds a little like how Popeye would say it.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 05:44:22 PM »
I really don't care much about the announcers, as just like the opening narrations in a few of the Metroid songs in Brawl, they're not something I'd focus on too much.

I'm not going to lose much sleep over "Louie G" or "Pokuhmon Trainer" or "Myootooo."

But since there's no "I don't care because it's not important at all" option, my vote won't go to anything.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »
"Pokəmon" is the correct pronunciation.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »
Thanks for missing my point entirely.

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »
Chupperson Weird OWNED your point by pointing out one mistake!  But then his e fell over.  Nobody's perfect.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »
No, he did no "OWN"ing of any sort, he missed my point, and so did you.

Whether or not he pronounced character names correctly is NOT my point.

If you don't know what IS my point, you're a lost soul.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:49:22 PM by Vidgmchtr »

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 08:06:08 PM »
"Pokəmon" is the correct pronunciation.
False.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 09:05:13 PM »
*sigh* Why does every topic on here always have some argument?

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 09:41:19 PM »
Because if there were no arguments, then there would be no Fungi Forums, thus, there would also be no Universe. This sentence is irrelevant.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
If you don't know what IS my point, you're a lost soul.
POTY?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 11:39:41 PM »
*sigh* Why does every topic on here always have some argument?

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 12:34:27 AM »
I thought it was Po-kay-mon (I assumed the e-accent was said the same way as in Spanish), although I accept Pokeymon (I don't know of too many people who bother putting the accent over the e) and Pokeyman too.

But that's not what we're talking about, it's the announcers. Original announcer is my favorite, for reasons Bird and Sushie mentioned. And I never realized there was an audience in Melee. I remember the audience in the first game being amazing though. Yeah, the chanting's cool, but the cheers and gasps sound authentic (at least to me) and thus invigorating.
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 06:26:27 AM »
I miss the cheers and gasps... (the chanting is just sort of annoying)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 06:27:32 AM »

CrossEyed7

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
I thought it was Po-kay-mon (I assumed the e-accent was said the same way as in Spanish), although I accept Pokeymon (I don't know of too many people who bother putting the accent over the e) and Pokeyman too.
You mean the thing where the guy falls out of the thing?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »
N64's Announcer was my favorite.
"SUper SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BRRROOTHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRS"  He sounded so professional when he said things like "Choose your character" "FAILURE" and character names.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »
Yeah, the chanting's cool, but the cheers and gasps sound authentic (at least to me) and thus invigorating.
I'm not sure, but I think some of them might be stock sound effects.  Like, I think I heard the gasps in a movie trailer recently.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 07:08:41 PM »
I liked Melee's announcer the best, mainly because of the way he made me feel like such a total loser whenever he said "Failure".
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 06:18:40 AM »
^
That's pretty much my reason as well.  He did pretty well other than the infamous "Mr. GAME.  and.  WATCH."
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 06:47:35 AM »
I liked Melee's announcer the best, mainly because of the way he made me feel like such a total loser whenever he said "Failure".
I feel like I want to punch somebody every time I hear the Brawl guy's pompous "GAME... OVER"

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »
Heheh. Jeff Manning was a great announcer in the first Smash Bros., wasn't he? Anyone know who was the announcer in the other ones?
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 05:53:31 PM »
SUPER SMASH BROTHERS....... MEEEEELLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »
Original.
Ditto used Machop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »
I like "Brawl" better than "Melee" because the former can be both a noun and a verb.

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »
I like the original better. The Melee one is pretty cool, and the Brawl one is ok. I don't have SSBB, but I've played it. I entered the contest but lost.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »
Melee.

Brawl: Failure
Melee: FAILURE!!

And of course, they Brawl announcer tries to perfect the Melee one. But they forgot one thing....

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER.......SMASH BROS.....MELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Also, in sound test in Melee, they do have Master Hand. Or better the Melee announcer say it...
MASTA HAND!
There's also...
SUUUUUUPPER...SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH...BROS.!, which is pretty identical to the original.
And the ever-funny:
Fightiiing WIRE Frames!
His "Sudden Death" thing is better too.

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER SUDDDDDDDDDDDDDEN DEATHHH!!

Finally...

Brawl: Game
Melee: GAME!!!!!!!!!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
Brawl: Game
Wasn't it "GAME SET!" for Brawl?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 09:47:57 AM »
I'm not sure... I'll have to play it later and find out...

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 09:54:08 AM »
Wasn't it "GAME SET!" for Brawl?
In the Japan version of both Melee and Brawl, it is "GAME SET" but in the original, both versions had "GAME SET"
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »
God I miss that. It never made much sense to me (just like "No contest!"), but it was said so energetically and had the same feel as "Shine Get!" that it's unforgettable. It just really caps off the match when it comes to an abrupt halt and "GAME!!!!!!" blasts through your TV. Come to think of it, that's another nitpick I have about Brawl, the game end seems considerably weaker when everything goes in slow-motion instead of stopping instantly.
You didn't say wot wot.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 07:34:39 PM »
I prefer the slow motion end over the sudden cessation of action. It allows for you to sneak in a last taunt.

"Time!"
"...Okay!"
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 08:13:52 PM »
the game end seems considerably weaker when everything goes in slow-motion instead of stopping instantly.
That's actually one of my favorite new features (if you can call it that).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »
I like it too because it adds more suspense to that final KO (or lack thereof).
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »
I like it because it gives me time to strike a pose or throw an item or some random thing for dramatic effect (what would have been a lot of good pictures always seem to occur right when the slo-mo ends and it does that zoom-in).

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2008, 10:42:31 PM »
Hmm. It seems to me that after the announcer says "Time!" KOs don't count. For instance, I had Bowser soaring into oblivion during the countdown, and the star appeared right after "Time!" was said. I did not get a point.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
They don't count after time is up. It wouldn't really make sense if they did--the limit is 2:00, not 2:02. We generally get the same number of "Noooooooooo!"s this way as with the sudden freezing before a KO in Melee.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:54:37 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2008, 12:14:37 AM »
Indeed, this is very true. I was just wondering what Chupperson meant by adding to the suspense of a final KO, as it only slows down once "Time!" is exclaimed.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »
Are you sure? I was sure I saw the score display change after the slowdown started.
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
Indeed, I have seen it twice before. I'm still not 100% certain about all the circumstances, though, so perhaps it deserves some research.

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »
I like the original the best. He had the coolest voice.

CAPTAIN FAULCUN.

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »
The way the guy says "Doctor Marioo" is just nastalgic. you know in Brawl you can unlock narration under sound test?
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »
1. How?
2. THe announcers don't pronounce "Samus" consistently.  How is it pronounced?

Say-muhs?
Sah-muhs?
Sam-muhs?
Or the ever popular and comical
Say-moose?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
I believe it is intended to be pronounced Samuhs.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2008, 07:44:03 PM »
I thought so, but Say-Moose sounds funnier.  Say-Moose!  PK Frash!  Go Weegee! :P

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2008, 08:30:09 PM »
To think I spent years pronouncing "Samus" wrong because some announcer didn't get the memo... or maybe, do you think, they just changed the pronounciation on a whim?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2008, 08:32:23 PM »
What I want to know is if her last name is supposed to be pronounced like Iran or Erin.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2008, 08:57:57 PM »
AIR-in

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2008, 09:16:47 PM »
I always thought "a ran".
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2008, 01:06:58 AM »
It's consistent throughout Brawl. Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! JOIN THE FIGHT! In the reaches of space, below the surface of Planet Zebes, Samus Aran faced the space ninjas. She destroyed their operation, wiped out the parasites called Metroids, and defeated Mother Brain. Samus. ZERO SUIT SAMUS! Mei Ling, Samus took her clothes off. Yeah... That'd be Samus Aran. Don't know what the Melee guy was thinking of. "Summus..." WTD?
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2008, 06:44:23 AM »
I always thought "a ran".
I as well (well... maybe more like "Iran"). Just for the record, I'm going by the pronounciation in MP3, which seems as good a vocal canon as any at this point.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »
I pronounce "Iran" "ee-ron".
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
I pronounce it more like "I, Ron".

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »
....for the past 8 years, I have been pronouncing 'Samus' the way the origial SSB announcer pronounced it, "SAH-muhs"
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »
Isn't it uh-ran?
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2008, 08:22:17 PM »
That's what I said it was.
That was a joke.

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2008, 12:05:14 PM »
....for the past 8 years, I have been pronouncing 'Samus' the way the origial SSB announcer pronounced it, "SAH-muhs"

Same here. I had a hard time adjusting to the right pronunciation after Metroid Prime 3 came out. At least I didn't fall for their way of saying "Pikachu".
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
Which is what, exactly?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »
Pee-KAH-chu, I think.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2008, 07:59:36 PM »
I still remember those commercials for the Tamagotchi-style Pikachu thing.

Pika, Pika, Pikachu! The best pet that you can get! Pokemon Pikachu!

They pronounced it rhyming with peek-a-boo, but you can't really tell what syllable they emphasized, since it was a song.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2008, 10:10:26 PM »
I just pronounce Pikachu the way 4Kids pronounced it in the anime.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2008, 06:35:09 AM »
So do I, but some of their other pronunciations (did I spell that right?) are... weird...  "hip-poe-po-TASS?"  I thought it was pronounced "hip-poe-POTT-uhs."  But that's getting off topic.

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2008, 10:46:08 AM »
"Kanga scan"?  Or "Kenghis Khan"?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »
I think the newer one is the best, in the japanese version he says de de de very awsomely!
can I take a bite of your snout?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
Whereas in the US version it's not so awesomely.  At least he pronounces Mr. Game and Watch right.

Print