Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto Hates Stories  (Read 32689 times)

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »
How are bunny rabbits supposed to talk?

It was the only example of dialogue I could find at the time. The worst thing is how nouns are actually replaced by pictures within the text, as exemplified by lines such as, "Here's the I found, Mario!"
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »
I know. Color coding the text would have been enough.. "We got away from Bowser and then we got lost with Luigi.."
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
Meh, if they're going to stick with speech bubbles instead of voice acting, they might as well take full advantage of the medium.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »
I'm torn on how to feel about coloring vital words in speech bubbles. One part of me thinks it's too leading but the other part says, "eh, doesn't matter."
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »
I prefer 100% monocolored text.
That was a joke.

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2009, 01:59:59 PM »
Agreed with Chup. Pictures and coloured text gives the game a more jeuvenile feel than its predecessors, which really isn't necessary.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
Well, it is more juvenile... or at least more casual--in presentation, at least.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2009, 04:29:35 PM »
In terms of childishness, the storybook was definitely the game's worst element. Sure, they were going for a "bedtime story" vibe, but sitting through it is downright emberassing:

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »
Change what they will, keep what they will... all I ask is that there be a different number of stars than 120! How the heck did that become the magic number, anyway?

Gee when are Goombas the basic Mario enemy.

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »
Yes, Galaxy's story was so embarrassing compared to all the badass plots in the previous games.

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »
I was referring specifically to Rosalina's storybook with that comment, but Galaxy as a whole really exchanged much of the series' bizarre quirkiness in exchange for ridiculous cuteness, as seen in the Lumas and the game's lack of visually-intimidating bosses. As for the dialogue, I wonder if Nintendo had received complaints over the fact that 64 and Sunshine used words over five letters long in their speech bubbles.

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2009, 08:01:10 PM »
What are all these visually-intimidating bosses?

Oh yeah those guys were terrifying.

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »
Perhaps I worded that incorrectly. The point is, at least Gooper Blooper and those floating hands with eyeballs inside the pyramid didn't look downright huggable. I'd rather have irritable, obtusely-shaped townspeople roaming about than plush star-babies that resemble something out of Boohbah:

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »
That picture seemed to reference the obtusely-shaped townspeople more than the plush star-babies.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »
Ah begs to differ, suh:

EDIT: OH GOD THEY ALL LOOK VAGUELY ALIKE

Print