Print

Author Topic: Could Mario talk more without it being annoying?  (Read 11274 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »
Mario is Missing
Italian Mario sounds like a sane Wario.

Suddenly I want to go watch Italian Spiderman again.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 06:23:04 AM »
Whar's wrong with Mario's voice ? I think it's very good.

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »
I hope you're not referring to that Mario is Missing clip. The inane writing is just the icing of the cake.

Anyway, to cleanse ourselves from that blasphemy, here's some good examples of Mario speaking in full sentences. I'm all for a more talkative Mario if he has such quotable one-liners as these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pkkkCVThjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZP_t-yELc&feature=related

I'll have to admit that hearing Mario yell Sonic's name is a little bizarre though...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:47:09 AM by El Gato »

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »
I think Mario's voice is funny, not annoying.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
Mario could be so much more alive if he talked more.

Even a simple response to a character talking to him or a small comment on something going on in the world would be nice.

That's why I really, really like Mario Sunshine. He talked (Japanese version), and there was a story. Yeah, whoa hey, Peach got kidnapped, yeah, what else is new; however, in Sunshine it was played with a bit more and taken beyond the normal "Hey, Mahdio, when you get done with your clothes and the dishes, go save Peach cuz... she just needs some saving, aight?" storyline.

It was cinematic (much to many players' chagrin... something I still don't understand). Along with Mario talking, I don't understand why people hate the idea of a cinematic Mario game. I was gonna explain more about it, but I just realized I'm tired and don't want to explain it right now (and the for the fact I've done it a million times), so I'll do it later.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
I don't have a problem with more speech, but Sunshine's dialogue was horribly written.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
...Not to mention completely out-of-sync with the characters' mouth movements.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 07:57:50 PM »
...Not to mention completely out-of-sync with the characters' mouth movements.

How do you figure? It was essentially the anime mouth open/mouth shut cycle bullcrap... maybe a half-step above it, so of course it wasn't gonna look right. I do believe, however, that the restricted movements of their mouth was kinda lazy on Nintendo's part.

Also, ask virtually anyone why they didn't like Sunshine's cutscenes/story and they'll tell you it's because Bowser's voice sucked/Peach's dialogue was retarded, all of which I kind of agree on (Bowser's voice didn't really bother me). However, people love to just file the whoooole thing under "S for Suck" for those simple, little reasons and, as a result, support banishing any type of good cinematics/etc. from Mario games forever based on Nintendo's writing decisions.

Folks seem to have this mindset that if story-telling/dialogue/cutscenes longer than 3 seconds or whatever is added to a Mario game, it automatically drastically reduces the amount and quality of gameplay or something when I feel that it enhances it and paints the story around the area you're at.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:59:45 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print