Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 163860 times)

« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Word on the street is that Yoshi cannot move from one level to another.  I understand why some Yoshi fans would be upset at this, but it sounds like a good move to me.  In Super Mario World, it's too easy to just get a blue Yoshi, grab a shell, and fly over all the obstacles.
NP confirmed this in their latest magazine.  However, none of the Yoshis have any powers in this game (which may be why they dumped the red and blue Yoshis, to avoid confusion.  Personally, I agree that he can be abused, but come on, it's fun as heck to plow through SMW and just break the game, and that certainly didn't impair the game's quality or popularity.  Why can't games today have that kind of face-value difficulty, but hidden break-ability?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #361 on: October 31, 2009, 10:15:13 PM »
Why can't games today have that kind of face-value difficulty, but hidden break-ability?
They do, you're just not trying hard enough. Every game has bugs, and today's games are more complex so finding bugs is more likely. I'm still amazed at that glitch in Super Mario 64 that lets you travel at mach speed backwards.

But if you're talking about non-glitch breakability... well, perhaps game testers have gotten wiser or players are getting less creative. At least "Funky" in SMW's Special World had a pipe near the end that extended offscreen so you'd bump into it while you were cape-flying through the level. I think there was a Chargin' Chuck there too so you couldn't just drop down and bounce back up.
You didn't say wot wot.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #362 on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:01 AM »
Why can't games today have that kind of face-value difficulty, but hidden break-ability?

Some of them do. A great example is Super Mario Galaxy, where there are many hidden shortcuts that can skip a good portion of a level.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #363 on: November 01, 2009, 11:24:45 AM »
NP confirmed this in their latest magazine.  However, none of the Yoshis have any powers in this game (which may be why they dumped the red and blue Yoshis, to avoid confusion.  Personally, I agree that he can be abused, but come on, it's fun as heck to plow through SMW and just break the game, and that certainly didn't impair the game's quality or popularity.  Why can't games today have that kind of face-value difficulty, but hidden break-ability?

Wow that's just stupid. They should at least implant something like the "no Yoshi" sign like they did in the SMW beta.

« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »
I think it's a good idea. It will make the game more challenging.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #365 on: November 01, 2009, 11:56:09 AM »
Perhaps, but it comes at the cost of turning Yoshi into Kuribo's Shoe with a tongue.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #366 on: November 01, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »
That dinosaur had better be really game-breaking.  And I don't mean just giving you an extra jump at the cost of your Yoshi.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #367 on: November 01, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »
Wow that's just stupid. They should at least implant something like the "no Yoshi" sign like they did in the SMW beta.

That dinosaur had better be really game-breaking.

This and this.  And by "hidden break-ability", I meant rather, that the levels in SMW are challenging to get through for the first few playthroughs, but practically all of them can be breezed through, and you can perform many crazy tricks, later.  Granted, I don't expect to be able to beat the last four levels of NSMBW while continuously pressing Down on the D-pad, but I would like to be able to exploit tricks akin to those shown in the "Super Skills" video in a large percentage of the levels sooner or later.  NSMB certainly failed at that with levels like 6-3, 8-3, and practically all of the tower/castle levels.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #368 on: November 01, 2009, 01:02:02 PM »

You want Yoshi to turn into an item when you cross it? That's inhumane!
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #369 on: November 01, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »
They should have Yoshi turn into an egg and go into your inventory and give you the option to re-hatch the egg at a later point.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #370 on: November 01, 2009, 05:07:55 PM »
Can you turn into a fetus and go back to the womb to be used for future living?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2009, 05:27:36 PM »
We haven't been taking those aerobics courses for nothing, you know.

Anyway, on a related note, who else supposes that the Penguin suit will only be available in two or three levels, tops?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2009, 09:23:26 PM »
Can you turn into a fetus and go back to the womb to be used for future living?

I specifically remember Yoshi being able to revert to egg form in Yoshi's Island upon obtaining a Super Star.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »
Well, I suppose the inability to tote Yoshi from level to level does make things harder, but not by much; I mean, besides, assuming Yoshi(s) acts like he did in SMW (one hit, and it's a suicide run), I'd think skilled players deserve to be able to take advantage of his abilities--this could be one of those leveling-the-playing-field things, if anything. And besides, difficulty aside, it's automatically a step backwards because you could keep Yoshi in SMW, and losing him at the end of every level doesn't really make any sense anyway, realistically speaking.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #374 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »
Anyway, on a related note, who else supposes that the Penguin suit will only be available in two or three levels, tops?

I think the Penguin Suit will have the same level of rarity as the Frog Suit. Not as rare as finding a Tanooki suit or Hammer Bro suit, but not as common as the Leaf or Fire Flower.... so riiight in the middle.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print