Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 164895 times)

« Reply #405 on: November 12, 2009, 06:24:07 PM »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #406 on: November 13, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »
That's GOTTA play when Mario finds out it's a stupid retainer and not the Princess. That perfectly conveys what us players and Mario were probably thinking when we read: "Sorry, but..."
Formerly quite reasonable.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »
Holy crap! Saw some YouTube gameplay vids and a few overworld songs. The soundtrack is REALLY good!
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
I thought for a second Gamestop was opening at midnight for NSMB... but then I thought wait... why would there be a huge line here wanting NSMB so bad... so I called and yeah, they're just opening the store two hours early for it.

I might as well go there first thing since I'll be waking up early anyway... can't believe ten days already flew by.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #409 on: November 14, 2009, 08:36:53 PM »
Holy crap! Saw some YouTube gameplay vids and a few overworld songs. The soundtrack is REALLY good!

Seems like SMG's soundtrack would be a hard act to follow.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #410 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:59 PM »
I hope Game Crazy actually get it tomorrow, but... I'm not sure, 'cause they called me several days in advance when my GH5 preorder came in, but it's the eve of NSMBW's release date and I've heard nothing out of them. They're so... sporadic, when it comes to when they get their "shipments"...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #411 on: November 14, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
NSMBW has the same soundtrack as NSMB, guys.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #412 on: November 15, 2009, 01:59:55 AM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »
Ten hours... but then, it's another five days before I actually have a Wii to play it on.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #414 on: November 15, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »
Gotta love that Hammond/Drawboard/whatever Organ. Seriously, if they had the same soundtrack than explain the underworld theme.
Holy Jesus, I'm excited for this. I wish my Mom didn't make me wait 'til Christmas (Eve, maybe) to get it...
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #415 on: November 15, 2009, 02:30:44 PM »
I'm at World 3 right now. The game is very good. The soundtrack may be extremely similar to NSMB, but there's a lot more variation in the songs depending on what world you're in which is really cool. Can't forget the little bongo tracks that get added in when you hop on Yoshi, too.

Mario's movement is more polished than NSMB; however, with the soft Wiimote D-Pad (instead of the DS' "clicky-ness") it takes some getting used to. After you get used to it (read: takes about one level, if that), it's just fine. Lots of little bits and pieces from all Mario games gameplay element/soundtrack/sound effect-wise which is very nice.

Oh, and if you're wondering if the Spin Jump being mapped to shaking the Wiimote is awkward... it's really not. It's just a simple upwards (or downwards) movement that feels about the same as jumping in the cow racing mini-game in Wii Play. It's just right. Just be careful if you're knee is shaking or you're moving around a bit or whatever because it can be very sensitive. Overall, it's good. Also, you can use the Spin Jump to put a little challenge on yourself (instead of using a jump to clear something) or throw some style in there, if you like.

So, to end all the "lol its a nsmb port. stupid." talk: It's very good... it's worth it... you'll definitely enjoy it when you get it.

EDIT: (World 3 map music is really good. I like it.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:35:21 PM by Trainman »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #416 on: November 15, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »
This is all sounding very good, except for the part that I have to update to System Menu 4.2 to be able to play it.  Either someone will have to hack the game, or I'll have to re-install Homebrew before I can enjoy the game.

Also, that Castle music is excellent.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #417 on: November 15, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »
I imagine the game will naturally get screwed with before long. Also, I imagine that we'll see like 50 speedruns and TAS runs of it soon, as well.

EDIT: Yeah, so the constant 1-Up problem is still kind of present. Not so much as 1-Ups crawling everywhere as it is you getting rewarded multiple 1-Ups for anything you do.

Expect to leave World 1 with about 35-40 lives. Expect to max out around World 3 or 4.

By the way, this is without going to any 1-Up Toad Houses.... (although the mini-game is actually a challenge as opposed to NSMB just giving you free 1-Ups). I went to one 1-Up House and didn't win any.

2nd EDIT: Okay, take back what I said about the 1-Up problem being still kind of present. No, some levels are brewing with 1-Ups. It's kinda crazy. Whichever IGN reviewer said "lol you'll be happy to see a 1-Up Toad House when you get to about World 4" is a complete idiot. If you're anything like me, you tend not to die often at all (especially under pressure to not have the Super Guide show up) and explore a bit in new levels instead of bombing through them, but even for an average gamer who might be on the brink of getting the Super Guide for half the levels will still come away with many 1-Ups.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:23:07 PM by Trainman »

« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2009, 05:40:14 PM »
Sort of like how in SMG, I gained 30 lives while failing multiple times at the Rolling Gizmo Galaxy, amassing some 500+ Star Bits in the process?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #419 on: November 15, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »
I did that in... Sling Pod Galaxy, I believe?... I purposely died over and over until I got 999 star bits (and thus, a great deal of lives as well).

Print