Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 164739 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »
games like the Boy and His Blob remake as well as Muramasa give hope that console 2D games aren't completely dead yet.
Though, at least with me, there is the hard-to-shake mindset that all 2D games are now digi-disted (well, in other words, I thought just about up until its launch that Muramasa was a WiiWare game. But ABaHB... that is WiiWare right? And I don't think it's a remake...).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »
Hey people!

LITTLE BIG PLANET!
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »
Brian, you're the only guy who thought Muramasa was a WiiWare title. Seriously.
Also, you apparently don't know about the new A Boy and His Blob game which isn't the first game.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2009, 07:20:02 AM »
Yeah, I knew there was A Boy and His Blob on the NES/Game Boy, as well as a new one coming out--I just didn't hear until Mr. Wiggles' post the statement that the new one is actually supposedly a remake.

LITTLE BIG PLANET!
If you're bringing that game up because you're one of those people who thinks NSMBW is ripping it off...

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2009, 09:19:14 AM »
I brought it up to end the topic of "2D is dying."
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »
A tentative boxart for NSBW: Hot or not?

It's ugly. I'm glad that it's only tentative boxart. I'm still wondering if Peach will be an unlockable player since Nintendo is trying to get girls (and old people) into gaming. We'll probably also be able to unlock Toadette...maybe.

Shy Guy would make a nice playable character, but I highly doubt him being in this game. I think Shy Guy and the Propeller Suit would make a nice combo...maybe the Propeller Suit was inspired by a Fly Guy?  Anyway, blue and yellow toads have to help Mario and Luigi save Peach. These toads could be part of the Toad Brigade and probably got seperated while trying to guard Peach from Bowser. if the game is released and we're only able to play as Mario, Luigi, a blue Toad, and a yellow Toad, then I guess we'll just have to deal with it.

But I would still be left wondering "why, Nintendo?"
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2009, 10:30:06 PM »
The only reasons that come to my mind as to why Nintendo would supplant "the" Toad for yellow and blue ones would be to separate all four players into representative colours (red, green, blue and yellow), and to maintain equality between the Toads, as the red one might be seen as the natural "leader" by players compared to his counterpart.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »
I've always hoped the "Toads" would be placeholders for Wario & Waluigi, or something.

It probably wouldn't be the best place to start fleshing out Waluigi, but I'd still prefer it over two (currently) nameless mushroom retainers.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »
Is this game going to have Wifi?

And yes, Wario and Waluigi should have been in the game. God knows Wario needs time out of the smog polluted factory he built for whatever reason.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2009, 01:16:19 AM »
Very unfortunately, NSMB Wii will have no wi-fi capability.

The reason? "The Wii is being pushed to its limit with this game..." so basically, that means no wi-fi. The question that begs to be asked: What the hell does NSMB Wii have under the hood that's taking up so much space that wi-fi is not a possibility.

Mario Kart Wii seems more technically extensive and it had wi-fi and had to keep up with all kinds of madness happening on-screen with minimal lag. Brawl is most likely 10x as technically extensive as NSMB Wii, yet it had wi-fi capabilities... yes, it sucked, but it was there, at least.

Just... I don't understand how the system is "being pushed to its limit" and can't support it with a game that looks like a polished up port of NSMB (unless there are like 50 million levels crammed into the game).
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2009, 02:04:41 AM »
A game that "pushes the Wii to its limit" sounds a lot better than "a half-assed game that really doesn't use any of the Wii's potential at all".
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2009, 06:37:31 AM »
"The Wii is being pushed to its limit with this game..."

???? If a DS could handle graphics not too scaled-down from what we've seen yet and still fit in a fairly large number of levels, why the heck would the Wii be "pushed to its limit"?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2009, 06:56:30 AM »
I brought it up to end the topic of "2D is dying."
LittleBigPlanet is a side-scrolling platformer, but it's far from 2D. I think people were talking about flat, non-2.5D games--I was, at least.

Anyway, FBM and Weegee made some good points, but I'm starting my morning ****ed-off (well, more than usual) now that I've remembered that little comment about how they can't fit Wi-Fi in because the game's already pushing the Wii far enough. Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Twilight Princess can fit on a disc and that can't? Someone give me Bull[dukar]'s number, because I'm calling him.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
Push to the limit? Will the motion control be used that much? Will there be tons of levels? Will there be a level editor?

Honestly...

« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2009, 12:14:57 PM »
Heh, a random thought just hit me.  A lot of people have been complaining about the blue and yellow Toads, obviously because the Mario series has so many lovable characters that it seems like such a waste to fill up two spots with generic characters.  If the developers insisted on having playable multicolored Toads, they could have at least had playable Toadbert and Tayce T.

Print