Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 164092 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2009, 05:37:44 PM »
Holy hell, yes.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »
I don't know, the difficulty being raised doesn't really seem like a good justification for Super Guide either... What's the point in making the game so difficult if players will just have the ability to bypass this difficulty? Most skill in a new platformer is gained through repetition and experience with the levels; I think most of us can attest to this. Dying 8 times in a row while trying to figure out the best way to perform a tricky section you've never encountered before is all part of what makes platformers great. I just think it's silly to brag that you've made a 'hardcore' Mario game but simultaneously throw this truth under the bus by offering players a way to get around it. It's kind of like Brawl's online options. Yes, there was a fair amount of online modes to play and Nintendo advertised the hell out of that when building hype for it, but in the end, Nintendo sort of pushed it away after the game was released since it was obvious the online was flawed, and they even went on to remove the Smash Service for whatever reason. Nintendo in recent years just gives off this vibe like... they like to show off one general aspect of a product, and then disregard it soon after.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »
YESSSS.  I don't care how hard they make it, though, I'll never resort to Super Guide.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »
Everyone is talking about the difficulty of the levels, but this is a 4-player competitive game.

No matter what the stages look like, all difficulty will come down to the skill of your opponents.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
That's true. A lot of people talking about it being difficult in these previews often say things like "Try doing this and this and this, BUT WITH FOUR PLAYERS WHOAMG." I can't imagine them being that complicated, so much as they're just annoying since you have other players walking into you and getting under your feet.
= = = = = = =

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »
Since I have no one to play with [cue tragic violin music], it shouldn't be much of an issue for me.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
Being in TK's position, I'm just hoping that this game won't be multiplayer-oriented to the point that certain features or areas will only be accessible through having more than one player.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »
Being in TK's position, I'm just hoping that this game won't be multiplayer-oriented to the point that certain features or areas will only be accessible through having more than one player.

Except the first part (two siblings), I agree, as they fail at old-school Mario I have more 2-D Mario platforming experience than them, and they might or might not be interested in NSMBWii anyway.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »
Well, this goes back to the lack of wifi. How could they possibly design a game focused on co-op/competitive, or rather just multiplayer in general... and not make it online? What is that? It just boggles the mind. Their excuse of 'there's already so much going on with four players on the same screen at once the Wii just couldn't handle it!' is a load of bull[dukar]. It's just another example of them halfassing a would-be great game.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »
I rather don't like playing against complete strangers. I like having all my friends (and competition) in the same room. That way, if something funny/ironic/awesome happens, you can all laugh about it. It'd be harder to do that with a wifi game.

Brawl is an example of how wifi can also ruin the game.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
No. 4-player same-screen multi is a wonderful experience, and something very unique from online multi.

Nintendo's catalog of games like this (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure, Super Smash Bros., Dokapon Kingdom, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and even Mario Party) has provided some of the best gaming times of my life and I will always always appreciate them for that.

Make friends. It's worth it.

« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »
Having friends does make it worth it, yes. Some of my favorite gaming memories aswell. :)

But with nearly a second delay inbetween when you press a button and when the character reacts in Brawl's wifi is sorta a game breaker.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »
The typical "derp derp obiously u hav no frndz" argument is stupid and counterproductive, and it always pops up anytime someone cries foul at Nintendo's lacking online helpings. I'm not arguing that real-life multiplayer is inferior. I'm arguing that the addition of online gaming is almost always a welcome addition. Yes, I have friends over once a week to play stuff like N64 and Street Fighter and Rock Band. But at the same time I have a lot of friends who went away to college, or who I know via the interwebs. I'd like if I could play with those friends too.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
My "No" was too Meowrik; you posted while I was posting. I completely agree with every part of Toad post. Online Brawl doesn't exist. It's a glitch, not a mode.

« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »
My "make friends" was to all the people higher on this page saying they have no one to play with. You posted while I was posting.

Print