Print

Author Topic: Twisted New Disney Game  (Read 17499 times)

« on: October 02, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »
What the heck. This is a little disturbing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EUa24ZmPkc  (Might want to turn down volume at 2:30...)

Although most of the stuff the kid says is not true, these are all real designs for a future Wii game.

Discuss.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
Yeah, that "Epic Mickey" thing... this has been in the (gaming) news for a while, and I could've sworn we had a thread about it (I checked, though, and nothing turned up).

Man, I don't know.. this just smacks of that American McGee-type crap where they emo and/or maturify some beloved characters to get attention and make a quick buck.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:28:44 PM »
If Mickey and co. have fallen by the cultural wayside, they should have done so naturally istead of (literally) clinging onto the collective consciousness as demented perversions of their former selves. Half of what'll sell this game is sheer shock value. The closest comparison that I can conjure up is if Spongebob were to be replaced in its waning days by Spengbab, thus mentally raping its remaining dedicated audience altogether instead of just temporarily revitalizing the franchise with some new quirk (e.g., Spongebob in Space, Anime, etc.) to boost viewership.

tl;dr: [dukar], Disnep. Now you've done it.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:48:05 PM »
It wasn't a thread before, but it was brought up in Things That Made You Poop A Little. at one point. My stance is the same as it was in that thread.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »
Man, I don't know.. this just smacks of that American McGee-type crap where they emo and/or maturify some beloved characters to get attention and make a quick buck.
I almost fell for it (I tried the demo but nearly gave up during one of the jumping puzzles). The trailer to McGee's "Alice" was so good... it's a shame the game wasn't any good because the game looked wonderful. I guess the same can be said of any Lionhead game. And I don't care how it's pronounced, I still say McGee as McJee.

I smell a new distinctive style coming on. "Dark", "steampunk", someone's eye missing in at least one of the pictures, someone looking like a zombie, and it remakes an old children classic of some sort. I shall call it the McGee style. A steampunk Shrek can't be too far behind, with Donkey resembling a short stubby Thestral.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:53 PM »
Great. Now I won't be able to sleep for the visions going through my head and the hearing the creepy music. Thanks!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »
"Wakt Disney" was a very strange man. Anyway, it seems a buttload of the info in the video was made up, but the images themselves are all real.

My original opinion still stands; I think the concept is absurdly misguided and reeks of the same mentality that dominated the 90s "Dark Age" of comics: Add lots of gore and scariness and "mature themes" (read: take old tragic theatre plots, add Disney characters). Of course, as long as Warren Spector has a direct hand in the game, I cannot fully declare it crappy.

And either way, that's all just concept art. I've been formulating in my head this idea of it as a sort of horror/RPG deal, but for all we know it could be a hundred times different than what the art is leading us to believe.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »
Last I checked, there isn't even any game idea yet at all. It's just a concept that the guy that were developing it hoped they could get Disney to jump on board with. So they started drawing stuff.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 12:14:23 PM »
I forget when and where, but I remember Game Informer or somesuch confirming that while there's no beta or anything, Disney is on board and they are actually working on something.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Mickey

I keep getting confused and thinking it's being worked on by Phil Spector (then again, the style might make more sense that way).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »
Considering how incoherent the game's other themes are, a soundtrack consisting primarily of 60's girl group recordings might work perfectly.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »
This game looks like hot Burton on Disney action.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 08:16:02 PM »
They need to hurry up with info on this game. I don't look forward to titles unless I know how the game will play, so I'm not getting my hopes up over some horror/steampunk pictures of the Disney crew.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print