Print

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns  (Read 38373 times)

« on: June 15, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the old DKCs so, needless to say, I'm really excited about this one.  I just hope there may be a some more returning Kong family members and Kremlings!

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:06:22 AM »
Finally, true co-op gameplay.

The familiar aspects are all here, but I'm not too sure how to feel about the new enemies. They seem like Crash Bandicoot knock-offs, and the lack of Kremlings disturbs me. Still, lots of Jungle Beat influence mixed with Country gameplay pleases me so.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
I watched the video, and New Donkey Kong Country is what it appears to be. That's neither here nor there.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
It's here, and very much so. I've waited 11 years for a DK game of this caliber, and I won't let anybody ruin the experience now.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
Wait, so is "here" the positive or negative one?

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
All that I can say is that I hope that this new Donkey Kong Country will be awesome.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:00:44 PM »
I'm only really a fan of the first one, and it seems odd to use what was essentially Rare's franchise now, but whatever I guess?
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:04:32 PM »
Rare couldn't even use Rare's franchise. After Retro managed to revitalize Metroid, this makes just as much sense.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 03:47:02 PM »
I don't know, the 3D graphics everywhere is giving me bad feelings. It's like what's being done to Sonic the Hedgehog 4, it just doesn't -look- right. If they can make Mega Man 9 look like an NES game, it shouldn't be that difficult to make DKC4 look like a SNES game. Bump up the resolution if necessary, but... come on, make it look a LITTLE more photorealistic than what we're getting!

The game better be hard... um, Donkey Kong Country 2 hard, at the most. And it better be long, at least... 6 or 8 areas. And good music. And I'd really prefer seeing our familiar riding buddies like Enguarde (bonus points for a playable Squawks like in DKC2). Only then will I consider it a worthy successor.

More bonus points if the first enemy is a beaver or furry rat. Nostalgia, y'know. I have a soft spot for the opening enemies of games. Mario has goombas, Yoshi has Shy Guys, DKC has beavers, Mana series has Rabites, Zelda has... uh... Tektites?
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
Generic goblins.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 03:50:53 PM »
Moblins. Intimidating iconic moblins.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:53:34 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
What about Octoroks?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 04:19:16 PM »
I think the graphics look perfectly outstanding. They even put little details into the backgrounds everywhere. The platformers don't just float, they're actually connected to the environment.

And for those of you who complain about the new enemies, let me remind you that every DKC has had a new set of enemies to bash. The only ones carried over from DKC1 to DKC2 were the Neckies and Zingers. Here, they'd given us a new threat in the form of those Tiki guys rather than the Kremlings. It's about time DK got a new villain to face off against (that actually suits the DK franchise, natch).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 04:21:50 PM »
What about Octoroks?
For the portable games, yes.

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »
I like it. Anyone else notice that Diddy's jetpacks from DK64 return? And YES finally. Rare is freaking amazing at making games so I'm placing high bets on DKCR. And the voices DK has sound DKish for once. Now we need to get a DK64 sequel...I would even go for a DK64 DS.

Print