Print

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns  (Read 38367 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
Rare is freaking amazing at making games so I'm placing high bets on DKCR. And the voices DK has sound DKish for once.

1. Rare isn't making this. Retro Studios is.

2. DK has the same voice he's had since Jungle Beat. Listen for it.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »
Heh, what if this game had a Super Guide?  I'd imagine that after you lose a certain amount of times, you could go to Cranky's Cabin and bribe him with enough Banana Coins to get him to do the level for you.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 03:23:20 PM »
Cranky doing cartwheels and slapping Kremlings? That would kick ass. He'll show you what a real player is.
You didn't say wot wot.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
Where the Kremlings crocodiles or alligators? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »
They were crocodiles. Either way, I don't mind DK finally gettting a new villain (that actually FITS the brand, even though I liked the KISS Kongs). DKC3 almost had a new villain, so this is the next logical step.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »
1. Rare isn't making this. Retro Studios is.

2. DK has the same voice he's had since Jungle Beat. Listen for it.

1. NO I MISREAD THAT AS RARE....

:((((

2. Never played Jungle Beat lol.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »
a new villain (that actually FITS the brand
The only time a Kong was playable before DKC was DKJr., where the main enemies were tiny alligators. Proto-Klaptraps, really. Kremlings kinda fit back then, and they definitely fit after spending seven main series games as the antagonists. They're part of the DK mythology now. They're in all the weird offshoot DK games other than Jungle Beat and they're playable in Strikers and Sluggers. Have a different Big Bad if you must, but if you're not going to put Kremlings in, it's starting to look more like Jungle Beat 2 than Country 4 to me. Not that that's a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, mind you -- Jungle Beat is a great game and still very underappreciated, it's just not what we were expecting.

It'll be an excellent game, I'm sure, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Retro do something that's not Metroid, I just have my doubts as to how much it's really going to feel like DKC without any familiar enemies, and that they would mention their exclusion in such a flippant and casual manner is a bit worrying. That and the fact that they apparently didn't even try to get David Wise to do the music.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 08:20:58 PM »
Bottom line: DKC without Kremlings is like SMB without Koopas.

I'm hoping that this one won't be as difficult as the previous instalments. In particular, DKC2 was a nightmare, complete with a diabolically ruthless save system. Eughh.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 08:33:41 PM »
To elaborate on that: Imagine if, when NSMBW was announced, we found out that it was going to be made by Bungie, Miyamoto wasn't going to be involved, and one of the developers said in an interview "Yeah, we're really excited to be making the first console Mario sidescroller in fifteen years. Now, obviously, we're not going to have any turtles or anything like that in it, and we've never even met Koji Kondo, but we're totally pumped for this and it's totally gonna have that old-school feel!" That's what this feels like. It's going to be a great game, but is it really going to be Donkey Kong Country?

And why no Classic Controller support?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
Wow, we finally get a game that has pretty much everything you could ask for from a DKC game except Kremlings, and the lack of Kremlings has everybody fuming. Unbelievable.

Where the hell were you people back when Jungle Beat shat on the franchise as a whole? Hypocrites...

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
[Words]

Well, judging by the trailer, it actually DOES seem to have that old-school DKC feel.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 10:06:39 PM »
Wow, we finally get a game that has pretty much everything you could ask for from a DKC game except Kremlings, and the lack of Kremlings has everybody fuming. Unbelievable.
Again, imagine an SMB game that has "everything you could ask for from an SMB game except anything related to the Koopa Troop." Imagine that after so many years of waiting for a new Mario sidescroller, that's the game we got instead of NSMB and NSMBW -- one that looks and plays just like the originals, except not a single one of the enemies you remember from the first four games is in there. No Goombas, no Koopas, no Bowser, no Hammer Bros., nothing. All new enemies made by people who had nothing to do with the originals. As great a game as that is, can you really call it Super Mario Bros.? I mean, even Mario 2/USA had Koopa shells. If there's no Koopas, it could be Super Mario Something (Land, for example) and be just as good a game, but you can't just toss out something so fundamental without a second thought (not to mention that it's not the same guy doing the music when it easily could have been, and they're instead going to be relying mostly on remixes of the original songs -- which, if their awesomeness is still preserved, will likely serve only to make the new music pale in comparison). And incidentally, everybody isn't fuming. I'm slightly apprehensive and Weegee concurs in part. Everyone else seems to be fine with it seeing as they haven't said anything about it. You're the only one who seems to be angry about something.
Where the hell were you people back when Jungle Beat **** on the franchise as a whole? Hypocrites...
Well, for one thing, I wasn't registered on the forums five years ago when Jungle Beat was relevant. Furthermore, read my post:
if you're not going to put Kremlings in, it's starting to look more like Jungle Beat 2 than Country 4 to me. Not that that's a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, mind you -- Jungle Beat is a great game and still very underappreciated, it's just not what we were expecting.
Jungle Beat is a very good game. It doesn't have the same mythos and overall feel as the Country games, but that's perfectly fine so long as it's not calling itself Donkey Kong Country 4. You can still have a Donkey Kong game without Kremlings, just as you can have a Super Mario game without Koopas. But the Country sub-series has specific rules and conventions that were set down by the previous games, just as the Bros. sub-series has its rules.

Extreme hyperbole to make a point: Baten Kaitos Origins is a great game, but what if it had been named and marketed as Mario Golf? It would still be a great game and wouldn't be any less a great game because of the name, but it's not Mario Golf, and if you're expecting Mario Golf when you play Baten Kaitos Origins, you're going to be disappointed.

I am not saying this game will suck because there's no Kremlings. I'm not saying a Donkey Kong game without Kremlings should never be made. I am sure this game will be very fun and will do justice to the Donkey Kong name as a whole. I'm just saying that at the end of the day, it's never going to feel completely like Donkey Kong Country 4 without a single trace of the enemies that were so iconic and ubiquitous in the last seven games in that series. It's like NSMB without Koopas. Like Sonic 4 without a grass level. Sure, they'd still be great games without those elements (well, NSMB would at least) and would really suffer very little for their loss in terms of overall gameplay, but can you really give them those names when they leave out something so integral and symbolic to the series?

And really, my answer to that is "maybe." After all, Sonic Advance 3 didn't start with a grass level and was, IMO, a perfectly legitimate contender to be called Sonic 6. I'm optimistic about it. I can see this working. I'm just cautiously apprehensive about it. No Rare, no David Wise, and no Kremlings certainly doesn't look like the perfect formula for DKC4 on paper.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:18:26 PM by CrossEyed7 »

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »
You can still have a...  Super Mario game without Koopas.

Super Mario Sunshine

.. and I'm ok with no Kremlings. This is another company's take on the DK story (or lack thereof. I can't believe they're continuing with the bananas being stolen again, but that's a rant for another time), and if they don't want to use the Kremlings, that's ok.

This could (and probably will) be a great game anyway.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
According to CrossEyed, the ONLY things that make a DKC game are Kremlings, David Wise and Rare.

Let's look at the facts:

Jungle Beat had:

-Donkey Kong
-Bananas

Donkey Kong Country Returns has:

-Donkey Kong
-Diddy Kong
-Barrels
-Barrel Cannons
-Mine Carts
-Enemies that are actually based on real-world animals
-1-Up Balloons
-KONG Letters
-Hidden bonus rooms
-Tag team gameplay
-Vine-swinging
-Banana Coins
-Environments that are actually based on real-world locations
-Remixes of the music from the original DKC outside of just the Jungle Hijinx theme

Yep. Not a DKC game in the slightest. :P

Print