Print

Author Topic: Ohayo! I'm new.  (Read 4500 times)

« on: April 26, 2003, 06:55:01 AM »
 Hi! I'm a new member and I like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Final Fantasy and many other all-time classics. I love RPGs, platformers, first-person shooters and many more. I own many consoles, including a SNES, N64, GBC, GBA, PS1 and a GameCube. (Soon to own a GBA SP!) I'm not ALL games, 'cos I like anime (Japanese Animation) too. Let me know if anyone else here likes anime! Anyway, nice to meet you all, and I hope I'll have a nice time with you guys.

All Jaffa Cake haters must be exterminated immediately.
"Blue, start over. Yellow is caution. Red is danger."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 10:57:59 AM »
Welcome, welcome, to this little haven known as the Fungi Forums, in which we all come to escape the trudgeries of work and family!  :)

I'm not much of an Anime fan, though, but hope you have fun here!

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 04:16:10 PM »
Ohayo? Is that like Ohio? I'm confused.

Just kidding. Welcome to the boards. And please stay? I mean, the boards are getting more and more active members... you know.

And I don't watch anime because my TV won't get any channels that show anime. Instead, we get BET despite the fact that my high school has .... I think 12 black people? (Out of about 1,400) Ah well. I veer well off-topic there.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 07:43:41 PM »
Ohayo means morning in Japanese.Yoshi no.6 sounds like me in a way...I own everything Yoshi owns except a GBA...

Im the king,
you dino-guy,
ill smash you now,
so say goodbye!
Find your inner monkey.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 08:53:24 PM »
YOU DON'T HAVE A GBA!!??? Man, you need to get one!

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2003, 09:31:59 PM »
For my birthday it was GBA or GC,so i picked GC.Theres no harm in doing that.

Im the king,
you dino-guy,
ill smash you now,
so say goodbye!
Find your inner monkey.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2003, 09:48:12 PM »
You know, it's funny. I was actually debating whether to get a GBA or not. I mean, I had a GBC that worked just fine, and was quite happy with it.

Then the choice was made for me. I had my GBC stolen (Along with a $300 pair of glasses... a game... a wallet with about $100 in it, etc.) and I needed to play my games, so I bought a GBA.

You know when this happened? The day after Christmas. I guess all the happiness and giving ends at 12:01 AM of December 26, eh? Then we take back! I had a $50 gift certificate given to me by my aunt just one day previous. *sigh*

12-26-01. The day I lost all faith in humanity.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2003, 09:49:34 PM »
 Welcome, welcome.

I'm quite surprised, not too often we get anime fans around here. At least, since I've been here. To be honest, I can only think of one, besides myself. And he hasn't been here for a long time, for that matter. Mama Mia Mario was his name, for what it's worth.

Anyway, yes, RPGs and Anime. You've described my life, and quite easily I might add. But, this isn't about myself, so, welcome and have a great time.

Try to avoid spamming, flamming, and going 'extremely' off topic. Have a good time.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2003, 12:14:04 AM »
Yoshi No.6, I couldn't help but overhear your declaration of love for the Breath of Fire series in one of the neighboring threads.  The 2nd one is available for GBA and I'm wondering if I should purchase it.  I like good solid RPGs with personality(re:Skies of Arcadia)and a strong story. The reviews I've read so far are sort of wishy-washy and I was hoping you might be able to provide me with an indepth opinion.  Does it suffer from a bad translation?  Is the combat system archaic?  Give me the dirt girlfriend.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2003, 10:23:13 AM »
Aww...I feel bad for ya, Steve. Man. That's REALLY, truly traumatic. Perhaps that is why you are as you described yourself in that ICPP report?

--------------------

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2003, 10:26:03 AM »
Cabbog, BOF II is an amazing game with a good battle system, solid plot and excellent gameplay. A absolute must for RPG fans. It can be bought from www.dvdboxoffice.com for around £20. Have fun!

I'd like to say a big thank you to all the people who have welcomed me. (You too, Sapphira.) Your board has lots of friendly people on it.

By the way ... out of the small majority of Anime fans here, (Black Mage, maybe you might know him ...)has anyone heard of Hayao Miyazaki? If so, please tell me as I am a big fan of his animations.

(Well done, Boo! Correct Japanese grammar. Oh, you should really get a GBA! They're so fun, that once, I spent a WHOLE night playing on it. They're nifty and small. Oh, and nice you hear we have a lot of things in common. Steve, Ohayo is pronounced OH-HI-OH. See?)

Edited by - Yoshi No. 6 on 4/27/2003 9:44:56 AM

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2003, 11:43:29 AM »
"Cabbog, BOF II is an amazing game with a good battle system, solid plot and excellent gameplay. A absolute must for RPG fans"

Okay, I'll hold you to that.  Everything you said better be true or you're going to receive a scathing message from me later this afternoon.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2003, 12:29:35 PM »
 Hayao Miyazaki? Why yes, as a matter of fact, I have heard of him, and his works. His more common ones are Mononoke Hime, rather Princess Mononoke, and the newly released Spirited Away, both of which are very good. Very, very good. Hmm, if I remember correctly, he was also behind Kiki's Delivery Service as well. I also seem to recall one with the name Totoro, but I don't recall the actual name. But, I digress, Miyazaki-san is excellent.

Also, I believe "ohayou" is "Good Morning," as opposed to just "morning," but it's been some time since I studied that language.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2003, 10:47:10 AM »
Ohayo means morning, but it means good morning if you add gozaimasu (the 'u' is not prononced, I belive), making Ohayo gozaimasu. Konnichiwa needs no introduction, of course! Konbanwa means good night. Black Mage, the full title is My Neighbour Totoro. Yes, Kiki's Delivery Service is one of his creations, and one of my favourites, too. Tell me, what is your favourite? Cabbog, my reviews will not fail you! BOF II really is an essential buy. Sorry, you don't use British Pounds, do you? I meant under $30 (American Dollars). Anyway, the website can be displayed in a large number of different currencies, so no problems here!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2003, 11:22:48 AM »
 Indeed, "ohayougozaimasu" does also mean "Good Morning." However, "ohayougozaimasu," is the polite form, something you'd use to a respected person. The difference becomes very apparant when you write it out, as it's written using only kana.
  "Ohayou" is an interjection, one that means "Good morning." You would use this to a friend, or a commoner. If you were to want to say just "morning," the word would be "asa." Which refers to "in the morning," as opposed to greeting someone.

I must admitt, I wasn't positive, but I consulted my old text book, and sure enough, that's what I found. Not that it really matters or anything, it's just for clarification sake.

As for my favorite of Miyazaki's work, I'd have to say I liked Mononoke Hime the best. Spirited Away was quite good, as was Kiki's Delivery Service.  

Print