Print

Author Topic: Sony takes on GameBoy with PSP (PlayStation Portable)  (Read 5679 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 13, 2003, 08:24:10 PM »
I copied this article directly from

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/13/technology/e3_psp/index.htm

Sony takes on GameBoy
Electronics maker hopes to challenge dominance of Nintendo.
May 13, 2003: 3:04 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (CNN/Money) - Sony threw the gaming industry a curve Wednesday, announcing plans to launch a portable gaming system, which will compete directly with Nintendo's GameBoy Advance.

Dubbed the PSP (PlayStation Portable), the system is scheduled to be released for the 2004 holiday season. The company did not announce any pricing details.

The PSP will utilize a new proprietary storage disk, offer a backlit screen and have a rechargeable battery. It will also offer 3D graphics and sound and will measure approximately 4.5 inches and offer a wide-screen viewing format. Sony Computer Entertainment president and CEO Ken Kutaragi called the device "the Walkman of the 21st century".

Additionally, the machine will come equipped with a USB 2.0 port, allowing high speed data transfers and will have a slot for Sony's memory stick data storage technology.

Nintendo has long been the king of the hill of handheld gaming, but analysts and industry insiders have wondered when Sony would try to move in. Ten years ago, Sony launched the PlayStation, which eventually gave it a dominant position in the video game industry.

At its press conference before the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Sony moved to maintain that dominance. And while it didn't cut the price of its PS2 console, it did make some changes.

Starting in June, Sony will sell a revamped system that will be bundled with its popular online adaptor starting in June. The upgraded PS2 will continue to sell for $199.

The upgraded machine will also offer the ability to play re-writable DVDs and will offer progressive scan technology, which will improve the visual quality of movies watched on the console. The machine will also be quieter than current models.

Sony also moved to blend the PS2's multimedia functions with its gameplay ability, introducing the EyeToy, a device that will let players digitally insert images of themselves into games.

"We need to depart from the status quo," said Kaz Hirai, president and COO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Leadership requires new thinking. ... Look for us for finding the right path to entertainment convergence."

Essentially, the EyeToy is the first cousin of a Webcam, which plugs into one of the PS2's USB ports. Your physical actions are then reflected in the game world. For instance, when playing a fighting game, you might punch or kick in the air in your living room and see your opponent take it on the chin in the game.

The EyeToy will likely appeal more to children than hardcore gamers, but that's part of Sony's plan.

"This is a piece of Sony's larger strategy to move down the age curve and make the PS2 a key part of kids' lives, not just older players' lives," said John Taylor, managing director and analyst for Arcadia Investment Corp. "I think you're going to see music and other activities show up as a key part of PS2 catalog."

Games were another key part of Sony's presentation. Perhaps most importantly, the company announced the next installment of Take Two Interactive's "Grand Theft Auto" franchise will debut exclusively on the PS2. Also announced was the next in the "Gran Turismo" racing series, which has been Sony's most successful game line, with 32 million copies of the games sold. "Gran Turismo 4" will be the first game in the series to be playable online.

Sony is far and away the industry's console sales leader, with more than 16.8 million in U.S. homes compared to 5 million Xboxes and 3.8 million GameCubes. That dominance is likely to continue growing – as some analysts feel 2004 could be the best year yet for video game machines.

"This year ought to be the peak year for hardware sales," said John Taylor, managing director and analyst for Arcadia Investment Corp.

2004 may not be quite as shiny, though, as Taylor predicts hardware sales will slip 20 percent industry-wide.

Sony's lead is so strong in the video game field that many analysts say the company didn't really need to cut prices at this time. They still expect the company to lower the console's retail price later this summer or prior to the holiday shopping season so Sony can meet its stated goal of selling 10.5 million PS2 units in North America this year.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 05:50:50 AM »
Old news, I read this a few days ago... It's still very interesting... Sony is FINALLY making a handheld gaming system, and it's more powerful than Game Boy Advance/GBA-SP!

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 07:33:56 AM »
And you're EXCITED about it!?
Yeesh, Sony's really testing this competition thing. I don't know how much more of this I can take!!

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 09:09:46 AM »
Yes, because I would like to know what this new handheld gaming system can do... what features it has that makes it more superior than Game Boy Advance-SP (besides the 3D polygonal graphics). I just hope it doesn't cost too much (like over $100).

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 5/15/2003 8:10:40 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 01:37:16 PM »
Ya and really if all Nintendo has to do is play the copyright card. For those of you who dont know what Im talking about, back in 1994 Nintendo got together with Sony to build a "SNES-CD" to compete with the SEGA CD It was supposed to be called the Playstation. They had a fall out, and Sony basically took the copyrighted name and used it theirselves. Nintendo later got with Phillips, and the same thing happened, but not before 3 zelda games and Hotel mario were realeased for the Phillips CD-i. So really all Nintendo has to do is say "Hey Playstation is copyrighted to us, you cant sell it under that name", take them to court, and win.

It''s a me Marionut#1
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 04:55:23 PM »
Things are looking grim, me says.  I wouldn't be suprised if Microsoft made one sometime soon too.  Let's hope the GBA (SP) can hold out.

Nintendo controls 98% of the handheld market, the 2% is cell phones.  That will change with the N-Gage and PSP.
 n/a

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 05:27:22 PM »
Hey marionut#1 stole my sig. Curses!!!

It''s ah me Marioguy!
I HATE JON!!! He betrayed me. So now everyone can have his picture.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 01:52:26 PM »
Plastation sucks!

I mean come on the eye toy. You'd never see a true game company like Nintendo do something that stupid. Granted it would be pretty cool to put myself into a Mario game.

What is wrong with this guy?
...Besides everything!

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 05:29:19 PM »
Double-Post. Oops.

Edited by - The Big Boo on 5/16/2003 4:31:06 PM

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 05:29:25 PM »
I don't really think the PSP is something to worry about. I mean, look at the facts:

1. PSP is being released Holiday season 2004.
2. People have been buying Game Boys for over ten years now. Product Recognition!
3. It was already revealed that almost a year ago, successors to the GC and GBA were being built. When asked whether Nintendo would "rush work" on an updated version of the Game Boy (in response to Sony's announcement that it plans to release the PlayStation Portable), he said that he "saw no need to speed up development." That's probably because they'll make a new Game Boy by the time PSP comes out.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 06:23:49 PM »
STOLD YOUR SIG!?!?!?!?! Iv had that sig eversince I got here in 2000!!!

It''s a me Marionut#1
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 08:47:38 PM »
Don't worry about it. Marioguy's just... like that.
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 08:50:53 PM »
Hey, Chupperson. We're here at the same time right now. Wanna have a "live" discussion?

Lizard Dude’s sig is my favorite.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 08:54:48 PM »
Ah, it looks like he moved off to other topics. Should I follow him?

Lizard Dude’s sig is my favorite.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 10:39:05 PM »
Really, Well I can fix that (Bops Marioguy up aside the head) There, just like a blinking NES and my sig, HES FIXED!

It‘s-a me, Marionut#1!
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 10:46:09 PM »
Now if only that would work...
He's 'killed' me so many times in all the threads... I once suggested he go to counseling. He needs it. BADLY. Oh no...here we go again... He's gonna 'kill' me again. *Sigh*

--------------------
If things don’t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 10:55:19 PM »
here (extends hand) take one of my home made force fields. :)

It‘s-a me, Marionut#1!
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 11:02:41 PM »
Nintendo dismisses Sony Game Boy rival
Wednesday, May 14, 2003 Posted: 11:35 AM EDT (1535 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Nintendo Co. Ltd., whose portable Game Boy video game player has dominated that market since the 1980s, shrugged off Sony Corp.'s plans to unveil a rival device and instead focused its efforts on new games.

Sony has already raced past Nintendo to the top of the game console market since launching its PlayStation franchise nearly 10 years ago. Sony now wants to take on the handheld market with its new "PSP" handheld device that will debut by the end of 2004.

"The fact that they are putting a lot of features into it (PSP) is very Sony-like, but at the moment we dominate the handheld market and there is no need for us to be overly concerned right now," Iwata said Tuesday at a press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the video game industry trade show. "We will continue to do what we do best."

Nintendo's new Game Boy Advance SP handheld was released in March, and the $99 device has been hailed as Nintendo's best yet. Sony did not offer a price for the PSP but said it would be available in the fourth quarter of 2004.

Iwata said Nintendo would continue to focus on creativity in games, especially those that link the Game Boy and its GameCube console, which has struggled in the market after Microsoft Corp. launched its competing Xbox game console 18 months ago.

The GameCube, a major disappointment in the last fiscal year, trails both Sony's PlayStation 2 and Microsoft' Xbox.

Both Sony and Microsoft announced major hardware upgrades to their consoles this week, but Nintendo instead focused its efforts on new gaming titles and "connectivity" between the Game Boy and GameCube.

Aiming to bolster the console's sales, Nintendo showed a number of new games at its news conference, including a revival of the arcade classic Pac Man, a multi-player affair that will let one player act as the little yellow pellet-muncher and three other players serve as the ghosts that chase him.

Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of Nintendo's hugely popular Mario Brothers games, previewed an upcoming version of the Legend of Zelda series that will let four Game Boy players interact in the same Zelda game using their own screens as well as with a GameCube console hooked up to a TV.

"Make no mistake .... This time we will not give our competitors a head start," Iwata said.

Edited by - lUiGiSoN on 5/16/2003 10:04:10 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2003, 11:04:19 PM »
Groovy! Thanks! (Although you might like to know I'm a Pyro, so I'm already immune to fire. Now I'm immune to more! HAHAHA!! Take that, Marioguy! ...If he ever decides to burn you and your force-field can't hold, I'll help you out. :) )

--------------------

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2003, 11:18:01 PM »
Wow! You always beat me to a post, Luigison!
Anyhoo, go Nintendo!! Boo everyone else!! :)

--------------------

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2003, 09:16:39 AM »
Boo?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2003, 11:05:13 AM »
AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Oh, sorry.  I thought I saw a ghost.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2003, 07:29:28 PM »
Yeah, that's the point.  The Playsucktion little portable piece of crap that wont even compare to gba sp, won't come out until end of next year.  That gives us plenty of time to improve the GBA.  We've got nothing to worry about, unless the gamecube sells 0 copies this year.

"You can''t kill a real American hero, you rube!
--Zok the Alien, my original character.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2003, 05:56:37 AM »
Yeah, like that would ever happen...

Jman

• Score
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2003, 03:26:44 PM »
The Xbox will die a terrible death!
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2003, 09:02:53 PM »
Its not a Playsucktion,its a Gaystation.
Playstation making portables...what next!!??

"One may as well hang for a stolen sheep as for a stolen lamb"
Ankle,Tingle younger brother,The Wind Waker
Find your inner monkey.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2003, 09:35:04 PM »
"Its not a Playsucktion,its a Gaystation."

Wow, you're both so very creative. I'm glad everyone is accustomed to constructive criticism.

Personally, I have no preference on this topic. My feeling is that if Sony can do the hand-held market better, so be it. If they can't, that's fine too. I must say, though, I envy Nintendo's ability to express competition in a non-derogatory manner, something many of you should take the time to learn.

Print