Print

Author Topic: Good Ol' Days...  (Read 9436 times)

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2000, 10:40:51 AM »
Well, to me it seems that the generation weaned on the NES and maybe Genesis/SNES are very old and experienced gamers. They've played alot of games, and gotten really good at them. Now everything just seems too easy, and more of the same. I agree, nostalgia or however you spell is one of mankinds's weaknesses. Hooom, Hooom I think that the Playstation was the birth of a new generation. Maybe I'm off my royale rocker, but they trid to market video games to the non-video game crowd. Of course, the graphics really impressed people and they got into it. However, they got into it 'cause of the graphics...Therefore, they were mentaly addicted to graphics and companies had to push this even harder. Of course, the Nesters/Snesters were more interested in the gameplay, the substance, the enjoyment, ya' know? Compaines decided to push towards the Sonies, rather than the nesters, because they belived it would bring more money. It seems that all of us "Nesters" are dying out. Let's just be thankful we've got some companies and people that are still aiming to please the nesters and the sonies both...I started playing video games when I was 3...Heh...
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2000, 04:08:08 PM »
Fryguy-I have beaten "Yoshi's Island" twice.  That big guy at the end is NOT Bowser, it's just the previous boss expanded by Kamek.

I'm not just into the older games, I just consider quality, not hype.  Anyone who doesn't think there has been a significant decline in the quality of "Mario" games in the past few years is just in denial.

And besides, the original "Super Mario Bros." is much harder than the "Yoshi" games and "Mario 64."

Chocobo-That's the same age I started playing Nintendo.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2000, 11:34:15 AM »
Yoshi's Island took place in the past, so the character at the end (as Kamek says) is Bowser as a child. Kamek uses magic on him to make him larger.

Perhaps you're the one in denial. You don't seem to be able to face the fact that Mario adventure games these days are no more easy or difficult than the days of old. Yoshi's Story doesn't count because it wasn't made by Shigeru Miyamoto.

To think SMB is harder than SMW2 or SM64 is ludicrous and just backs up my point of you being in denial. For its day it was a great game, but I was seven at the time, and I still completed it quickly. It took me a month to get all 120 stars first time through on SM64 a couple of years ago, and it took me forever to get 100 points on every level on SMW2.

Of course now that I've done them, I can still complete SMB, SMB2, SMB3 and SMW in one sitting without warps (and in the last two - opening all the levels) - and have done exactly that in the space of a morning. SMW2 is much more difficult, and yet no less fun, and I'd like to see anyone try getting 100 points on every level in one sitting.

I get just as excited about playing new Mario games now as I did when waiting for SMB3 and SMW all those years ago. And that is because they're consistently wonderful. I'm not saying the old ones OR the new ones are any better than each other, but to say that they've gotten progressively worse is ignorance.

If I had to choose my two favourite Mario games they would be SMB2 and SMW2. And I love the rest too. If you honestly think that after and including SMW2, Nintendo has been making us crap games then go and play another console.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2000, 04:16:33 PM »
"Yoshi's Island" was the first "Mario" game I ever beat.  It took about a month, "Mario 64" 7 months, and "Super Mario Bros." I still haven't cracked.  Old doesn't necessarily mean easy, it just means you've had more time to try to beat it.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2000, 01:58:14 AM »
I sorta' like all the games. but the first Mario featuring games I played was Super mario bros.- or was it Mario 3? well you get it.

Print