Poll

Do you ever read the manual that comes with your games?

Yes
32 (76.2%)
Yes, but only if I'm stuck on something
6 (14.3%)
No
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Print

Author Topic: Do you read the manual?  (Read 15060 times)

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2006, 03:30:47 AM »
If I had to save one manual and have all my others thrown away, I'd go with HoMM:II.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2006, 07:58:15 AM »
I always read the manual that comes with the game, unless I've gotten the guide beforehand, as is the case with Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. It helps because I might not know how to do a certain thing otherwise. I also sometimes use pictures in manual as reference for my art, although this can sometimes be a problem. Once, I was drawing Espio the Chameleon and I was using the picture in my Sonic Heroes manual as reference and when I had gotten it done, I was so proud of myself and it seemed so well done... Come to find out, when I played Sonic Heroes again, I noticed that Espio's shoes are purple. I gave him orange shoes. XP It might not seem like a big deal to you, but I go CRAZY when I mess up the colors on a picture.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2006, 09:31:02 AM »
If I've gotten so far into the game that help in the manual would be very unlikely, then I either go to the Internet or buy the strategy guide.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2006, 11:47:16 AM »
I always read the manuals for my games, for two main reasons:

1) Most obviously, it provides very useful instructions on how to perform certain actions in the games, supplies various information about the game, etc.

2) As I read the manual, I tend to get more and more anxious to play the game (it's a good feeling).

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
2) As I read the manual, I tend to get more and more anxious to play the game (it's a good feeling).

Definitely. Same here. Thanks for pointing it out.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2007, 01:11:07 PM »
I always read game manuals before I start playing. It's never a bad thing to know what you're doing, after all!
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2007, 01:52:45 PM »
When i buy a game for a specific console or handheld, when i open the box, i always (and i mean always) check the instruction manual that comes with it. That way, i know what to do, how to handle the specific action controls and where i'll be going with said game. I've done that for years now and i continue to do so today.
I don't know if it's me, but i completely love both Mario and Peach to death. I guess i'm obsessed about both of them, huh?

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »
I always read the manuals for my games, for two main reasons:

1) Most obviously, it provides very useful instructions on how to perform certain actions in the games, supplies various information about the game, etc.

I also agree with you. However, when I was younger, I NEVER used to read the manuals. Now, I always read the manuals. I even went back and read the manuals for the games that I didn't read when I was younger. I sometimes even read the manual for a game after I'm completely done with it. Manuals provide you with useful information usually not found in tutorials or anywhere else. Whenever a friend brings over a game I have never played, I ask for the controls. I adapt to them and sometimes find out things that my friend didn't know. I think it's rude to open the case and read the manual for a friends game except in the occasion where none of us know what we are doing.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2007, 07:25:13 PM »
I read the manual for one main reason:

After I buy a game, I usually need to use the restroom, so I take it in there with me for some good ol' reading material and then go about to play the game! :-D
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »
I usually read the manual first, although there are a few cases where I just rush right into the game. That happened when Mac and I got Diamond and Pearl anyway.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2007, 08:26:01 AM »
Generally, I always read the manual unless I know it's going to have a weird control scheme (i.e., something other than A to jump, right shoulder button to shoot, etc.).
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »
I almost always read the manual for a game. The only cases where I wouldn't are if it's a puzzle game that I'm already good at already (I know how to play Tetris, stop trying to tell me otherwise) or if I don't have the manual (which usually only happens if I buy a game used or play a ROM). I know I didn't read the PMD manual immediately, because of how often I play Rogue and NetHack.

Great manuals (you know, like the one for Earthbound) aren't made as often nowadays...

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2007, 11:39:21 PM »
Yes I read the manual, but for reasons other than practicality. 
Generally, there's never anything imperative stowed away in those things, and if there is, it's something as minute as what button to press when attacking an enemy or how to block.  Such basics as these aren't the sort of things that need studying before playing the actual game.
I simply enjoy reading the manual for the little trinkets of authenticity and brief previews of what the mood of the game will be.  That's all. 
I'm also rather pedantic, so I guess you could say that it relieves a yearning within. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:41:16 PM by The Blue Toad »
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Hacker Pikachu 25

• Technicolor nightmare
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »
I almost always read the game  manuals, but the system manuals, well...Two words: Never. Read.
Klonoa is the best game I've played YET!!!

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2007, 07:04:29 PM »
Yeah, I hate the system manuals too. I mainly read the game manuals for fun.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print