Print

Author Topic: Weekly Releases (10/1) +  (Read 394542 times)

« Reply #1395 on: October 04, 2010, 05:01:51 PM »
So... if a part near the end of a game "lives" on a flaw, then...

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1396 on: October 05, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »
The reviews for FF:4HoL are in, and it's been getting pretty solid ratings (8/10, 7/10, B+, etc.) thus far. Apparently, it's more like a remake of an obscure NES title than an old-school Square Enix romp.

« Reply #1397 on: October 06, 2010, 04:52:10 AM »
I don't recommend reading reviews of a game you already pre-ordered. Nothing good can come of it. Well, unless you're planning to jump ship at the last moment.

Anyway, there are phases where I would have been tricked into buying The 4 Heroes of Light but luckily DQIX has my JRPG-hatred gauge's needle currently hovering around MAX.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1398 on: October 06, 2010, 06:54:31 AM »
I preordered a game, then played the demo of the previous game in the series to make perfectly sure it was what I thought it was. But more on that next week.

I'm probably not going to play the new Final Fantasy any time soon. Just not interested, particularly since Adventures to Go! (another "don't-read-reviews" game, both because some of them are pretty inaccurate - "slow" is not a word I'd use to describe it - and because I'm sure they came about when the game was full price at retail rather than $10) is currently taking up my JRPG-playing time.

(On that note, that's one thing I like about the PSP: so many games in its library that I'm actually interested in are now $10 at retail.)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1399 on: October 06, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1400 on: October 06, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
Fun Fact: I order these mini release posts top-to-bottom as to how good I expect the games to be. With that in mind, Comic Jumper is out today. Time to see what the makers of one of the best platformers ever are up to this time. :)

« Reply #1401 on: October 09, 2010, 10:50:44 PM »
I went into the Lords of Shadow demo extremely skeptical (3D Castlevanias do not engender faith), but it was good times. I do doubt my ability to rationally judge a game in which Patrick Stewart reads me large swathes of text every five minutes.

« Reply #1402 on: October 09, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »
I've grown rather fond of FF:4HoL's Attack point (AP) system. Rather than letting you spam powerful spells and abilities every turn, it makes you act frugally by forcing you to regenerate AP before casting off anything besides a basic command.

Also, the producers weren't kidding about stripping this game down to the series' fundamentals: You can't run from fights, target specific enemies, or switch weapons mid-battle.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1403 on: October 10, 2010, 01:43:31 AM »
What? You can totally target specific enemies in FF1.

Also I haven't had a chance to play Lords of Shadow yet but one of my friends at work raves about it roughly every 10 minutes (I do not exaggerate). I am looking forward to playing it.
That was a joke.

« Reply #1404 on: October 10, 2010, 01:54:37 AM »
You can also run.

Comic Jumper is awesome to the max x1000. Twisted Pixel are lunatics and I love them.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1405 on: October 10, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »
Rather than letting you spam powerful spells and abilities every turn, it makes you act frugally by forcing you to regenerate AP before casting off anything besides a basic command.
Adventures to Go! uses a similar system, though less traditional: the combat is grid-based, and it costs AP (Action Points) to do anything, even turn to face a different direction. And every unit regenerates AP automatically on their turn.

Kingdom Hearts: Re:Coded came out in Japan on Thursday.
-What I can understand of the story (here I'll note that playing the game in Japanese makes it at least fifty times better than it would be in English due to not being able to understand what's going on) seems to be yet another retread of the first game.
-The basic gameplay is nothing new. They did keep status effects from 358/2 Days, which is nice, and the Command Deck system from Birth by Sleep is in this as well.
-The difficulty system allows for the same kind of customization The World Ends With You had, but goes even farther - you can alter the difficulty from the get-go, but unlike that game, you don't have to unlock higher settings, so I've been playing on Critical Mode since the beginning. There are a few other things you can modify later on.
-The growth system is like that of 358/2 Days in that grinding would be pointless (I'm only level nine in the fourth world of the game, and doing fine).
-The biggest change I've seen is the mix of different genres into each area; one world has you fighting turn-based battles (which are similar to what Weegee described in that you can't run or target specific enemies; however, it does feature timed button presses a la Mario RPGs), while another's boss area is a sidescrolling platformer (forced-scroll, sadly), and there's even one boss level that's an old-school Space Harrier-style rail shooter.
-There are also some tag-mode systems that will unfortunately not see much use when the game comes out in English in January.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1406 on: October 10, 2010, 02:40:15 PM »
Oh, good.  Anti-grinding precautions.  Those are always nice.  And for what it's worth, to those turned off by KH's storyline, this one seems to have the most excuse-plotty plot yet, and focuses more on gameplay.  From what I've seen and heard.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1407 on: October 10, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »
Well, I mainly meant that grinding is unnecessary because you should be strong enough statwise to fight whatever the game throws at you anyway (this is where the skill portion comes in, especially on Critical Mode), but there are actual anti-grinding precautions as well through how the Status Matrix works; like the panel system in 358/2 Days, you can only have so many things slotted in at once, and more sections are unlocked as you progress through the game.

And yeah, the story is basically an excuse to be the first game again, but it's still better than 358/2 Days         because it doesn't have Xion          .

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1408 on: October 10, 2010, 05:12:13 PM »
I don't mind Xion so much, but I am happy that Roxas isn't in it.  Or is he?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1409 on: October 10, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »
Hey buddy, this thread ain't called "Future Releases". GTFO! (Especially if you're going to talk about ****ING  KH.)

Print