Print

Author Topic: Weekly Releases (10/1) +  (Read 394536 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1650 on: May 17, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
Personally, I had hoped the advent of digital distribution would combine with backwards compatability to render ports irrelevant, but I guess a few still slip through.

...What I'm trying to say is, I question why there was a need for a DS port in the first place, and how the decision was reached to eventually also put it on the VC. That being said, Chrono Trigger is of course a wonderful game, but I have regrettably yet to beat my original copy.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1651 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
Screw both I want Chrono Resurrection
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #1652 on: May 17, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »
L. A. Noire is the most convincing reason I can think to get a PS3, and I only saw a buddy play the first 5-10 minutes. I just don't get why they mispelled noir.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1653 on: May 17, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
It'se fancé, that'se whye

Game looks pretty boss, I should get it
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #1654 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
Perhaps L.A. is female. That would explain an extra e.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #1655 on: May 18, 2011, 12:54:24 AM »
Is that how French works, add an e to the female version? Cause I guess that makes sense being Las Angeles. But this is all getting off the fact that I'm not currently playing it.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #1656 on: May 18, 2011, 01:44:59 AM »
French geographical names are usually considered masculine unless they end with an 'e'. Maybe they used the noun's feminine form so as to prevent you guys from pronouncing it "L.A. Noyer". It's kind of like how Led Zeppelin deliberately misspelled their name so you "thick Americans" wouldn't end up calling them "Leed Zeppelin".
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1657 on: May 18, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
L. A. Noire is the most convincing reason I can think to get a PS3
It's on 360 too, you know...

« Reply #1658 on: May 18, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
so you "thick Americans" wouldn't end up calling them "Leed Zeppelin".
But lead is an actual homograph, while noir is not...

« Reply #1659 on: May 18, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1660 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »
You dare link to TV Tropes on this forum?

Boy, are you in for it.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1661 on: May 18, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »
The only thing more annoying than TV Tropes is people going, "OH SNAP YOU JUST LINKED TV TROPES!" ;)

Anyway, looking around the internet I found two theories about the name that I like: both involving the name being a sort of pun, and both would indeed require the feminine noir

1) L.A. Noire --> la noire ("the darkness")

2) L.A. Noire --> elle est noire ("she/it is dark")

Contrary to "Viewers are Morons", Rockstar can be very clever and subtle with their references so I'd wager one of these is probably on the nose.

« Reply #1662 on: May 19, 2011, 08:57:55 AM »
I did not realize it was on the 360.  A lot of the adverts throw the PS3 logo up pretty clearly, and at least one says Only on the PS3.  I know it was for dlc add-on, but it got in my mind the game as a whole is exclusive, so I didn't even check.  So thanks for that.

Also, I don't get the hate for TVTropes, but then I also don't care. Is it a personality thing? As in, too many big personalities in the community there, because I just flip through the article pages and must miss all of the hooplah?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1663 on: May 19, 2011, 10:12:36 AM »
No, Lizard Dude is violently allergic to spoilers, even when they're hidden.

« Reply #1664 on: May 23, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
I wanna take a ride on your disco stick.

Print