Poll

If Mario wasn't invented, what game would take over?

Zelda
13 (36.1%)
Metroid
2 (5.6%)
Poke'mon
5 (13.9%)
Tetris
0 (0%)
Sonic
4 (11.1%)
Kirby
4 (11.1%)
Final Fantasy
5 (13.9%)
OTHER
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Print

Author Topic: If Mario wasn't invented...  (Read 10455 times)

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« on: January 04, 2007, 05:00:18 PM »
This should be good! Kirby...

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 05:08:57 PM »
What do you mean by "take over"?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 05:10:36 PM »
I mean like which game would be most popular...without Mario.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »
In that case, the Final Fantasy series. You forgot them.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
O.K. ... I added 2 more!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
I think the Zelda series would take over.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:52:33 PM »
Back in the old days of the 4th-gen, Sonic would have taken over. Now, I think Link would be the strongest force in the video game world. (w/out Mario) If I had a choice, Metal Gear would be at the top (if it wasn't Mario.)

This is a cool topic, actually.

EDIT: Pokemon is also a good choice if we're talking the late 90's.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:55:40 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »
If Mario wasn't invented, many franchises, Sonic in particular, would not have had the inspiration to exist.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 07:03:30 PM »
Popeye. :D
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 07:11:18 PM »
Whatever other character that starred in Donkey Kong would've taken his place.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 07:12:19 PM »
Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pauline are the only characters in Donkey Kong.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »
Let's see, had Miyamoto not created Mario, then Nintendo's mascot probably would've been Link for a time, but  then Kirby would've taken that role later, unless Captain N became legitimate somehow.. Also, Sonic would probably have never been created either because he was made to compete against Mario. As for which franchise would be most recognizable in the gaming world, that would probably be Zelda or Pokemon.

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »
Back in the old days of the 4th-gen, Sonic would have taken over. Now, I think Link would be the strongest force in the video game world. (w/out Mario) If I had a choice, Metal Gear would be at the top (if it wasn't Mario.)

This is a cool topic, actually.

EDIT: Pokemon is also a good choice if we're talking the late 90's.
Thank-you for the compliment. :-)

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 08:18:50 PM »
I think Zelda...yeah Zelda of course!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 08:34:06 PM »
I just wonder.  If Mario and the gang weren't invented, who would be in those portraits that can be seen through that window in Hyrule Castle Courtyard in OoT?  Or how would Talon, Tarin, and Ingo be depicted?  Who would have been in those portraits in some of the houses in LttP?  What enemies would replace Goombas, Piranha Plants, Boos, etc. in Link's Awakening?  How would Captain Olimar and Louie be depicted?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »
Simply put, without Mario, Nintendo wouldn't have made it very far. So don't think too hard on that.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »
Metroid rulez! Samus pwnz yall!! I play Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Fusion!! <---- I'm almost done beating Metroid Fusion.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
Well, if Mario wasn't invented, Nintendo probably still would been producing Game & Watches and toys. Of course, there were other titles that kept the NES alive, too. Like the Legend of Zelda, Excite bike and more. Plus, the whole reason the NES was popular in the first place was that Nintendo marketed the NES as a "robot toy" (ROB) because after the video game crash of 1983, nobody wanted a video game console, so the NES might have succeeded without SMB.

Anyway, if Nintendo decided to get rid of Mario, The Legend of Zelda would definitely be Nintendo's flagship franchise, with Link as their mascot (Although, I wouldn't enjoy seeing billions of games like "The Legend of Zelda: Double Dash!" or "The Legend of Zelda: Strikers" come out). However, Final Fantasy would most likely be the best selling franchise of all time if Mario didn't exist.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »
I just wonder.?  If Mario and the gang weren't invented, who would be in those portraits that can be seen through that window in Hyrule Castle Courtyard in OoT??  Or how would Talon, Tarin, and Ingo be depicted??  Who would have been in those portraits in some of the houses in LttP??  What enemies would replace Goombas, Piranha Plants, Boos, etc. in Link's Awakening??  How would Captain Olimar and Louie be depicted?
Thats Tough...VIDEO GAMES!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 05:46:49 PM »
What would the platformer genre be like if Mario wasn't invented?  Let's face it.  Mario has made a huge impact on video games
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 12:14:01 AM »
Sonic and unsold copies of Bubsy 3D.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »
What about Pitfall? That came before Mario, right?

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »
Yeah, but it's also pre-crash, and Super Mario Bros. added a ton of new elements on top of it.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
If Mario had never been invented, I'd say Pac-Man would be the most recognizable character ever. So, had Shigeru Miyamoto never created Donkey Kong, there would be no SMB, and, as a result, the modern platformer would be vastly different, or even nonexistant. There would be no Mario Kart, which spawned trillions of other "little kids'" racing games, meaning modern racing games would be relegated to more serious series like Gran Turismo. Man, the world would be a terrible place without Mario Party 91/2.

That gets me thinking...What if there was never a World War II, like in Resistance? WWII served as the inspiration for countless WWII movies, which, in turned, inspired programmer Silas Warner to create Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple II, meaning no CW. Since that was the inspiration for Wolfenstein 3D, the first modern first-person shooter, that means, no Doom, no Quake, and no Half-Life.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »
I constantly think about what life would be like if certain things never existed. I find it to be pretty interesting. Maybe I should make a whole new topic about that....

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »
Actully, the LOZ games might not be the same...

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 05:40:14 PM »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 05:53:30 PM »
Let's face it, without Mario, the World would have a Second Great Depression.
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »
Um, is there any legitimate proof of that?

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »
Once again, The Chef, you want proof. Don't you hear the words SARCASM and OPINION before?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »
That was hyperbole. Not opinion. And a pretty dumb post to boot.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 07:46:10 PM »
I need to think of a word for when this happens....

How about "Chuppwned"?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
Why would a lack of Mario cause the economy to go into a recession?

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 09:58:08 PM »
This brings up "It's a Wonderful Life" Dreams where we all own an 9-Year-Old System because that's either all that's been made or is good. Without Mario, 3/4 of the gaming community would be nonexistent.
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »
There would be no Mario Kart, which spawned trillions of other "little kids'" racing games, meaning modern racing games would be relegated to more serious series like Gran Turismo.

Does this mean that the Cars game would suck straws? O_O;
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »
The Cars game (brace yourself)... might not exist!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »
Or maybe it would, since Mario probably wouldn't dictate the creation of a movie which would've inevitably had a game based on it due to the way today's game industry works.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2007, 11:46:16 PM »
Simply put, without Mario, Nintendo wouldn't have made it very far. So don't think too hard on that.

I concur.  Nintendo probably would have gone out of business, changing the face of Video Games.  SEGA would probably have dominated, leaving Alex Kidd as the most popular character?  My point: All of the characters on the list probably wouldn't have existed if Mario wasn't invented.  Be glad, then go think about something more pleasant.
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 07:33:19 AM »
If Mario were never invented, turning a Blastoise sprite into Bowser would be impossible. :(
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 06:37:47 PM »
I voted OTHER.

If Mario hadn't been invented, Popeye would probably be the most recognizable figure.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »
The Cars game (brace yourself)... might not exist!

*faint*
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2007, 07:32:51 PM »
Well, it least CARS wouldn't exist.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2007, 08:11:36 PM »
Well, it least CARS wouldn't exist.

A) There's no proof of that, unless you're being sarcastic, which is kinda hard to tell..
2) What's wrong with Cars?

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
Nothing. Cars was hilarious and fun to watch at the same time.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
A) ...
2) ...

Hey, that's my bit. T_T Kidding!

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2007, 10:48:10 PM »
I found it amusing that The Chef labelled his points 'A' and '2'. =D

Anyway, if Mario didn't exist, then I expect that the platforming genre would differ greatly to what it is now (perhaps much more like Donkey Kong)... or, another game could do what SMB did and change everything. Then again, Pitfall! was an influence upon the multiscreen platform style...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Print