Poll

If Mario wasn't invented, what game would take over?

Zelda
13 (36.1%)
Metroid
2 (5.6%)
Poke'mon
5 (13.9%)
Tetris
0 (0%)
Sonic
4 (11.1%)
Kirby
4 (11.1%)
Final Fantasy
5 (13.9%)
OTHER
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Print

Author Topic: If Mario wasn't invented...  (Read 10460 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »
Simply put, without Mario, Nintendo wouldn't have made it very far. So don't think too hard on that.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »
Metroid rulez! Samus pwnz yall!! I play Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Fusion!! <---- I'm almost done beating Metroid Fusion.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
Well, if Mario wasn't invented, Nintendo probably still would been producing Game & Watches and toys. Of course, there were other titles that kept the NES alive, too. Like the Legend of Zelda, Excite bike and more. Plus, the whole reason the NES was popular in the first place was that Nintendo marketed the NES as a "robot toy" (ROB) because after the video game crash of 1983, nobody wanted a video game console, so the NES might have succeeded without SMB.

Anyway, if Nintendo decided to get rid of Mario, The Legend of Zelda would definitely be Nintendo's flagship franchise, with Link as their mascot (Although, I wouldn't enjoy seeing billions of games like "The Legend of Zelda: Double Dash!" or "The Legend of Zelda: Strikers" come out). However, Final Fantasy would most likely be the best selling franchise of all time if Mario didn't exist.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »
I just wonder.?  If Mario and the gang weren't invented, who would be in those portraits that can be seen through that window in Hyrule Castle Courtyard in OoT??  Or how would Talon, Tarin, and Ingo be depicted??  Who would have been in those portraits in some of the houses in LttP??  What enemies would replace Goombas, Piranha Plants, Boos, etc. in Link's Awakening??  How would Captain Olimar and Louie be depicted?
Thats Tough...VIDEO GAMES!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 05:46:49 PM »
What would the platformer genre be like if Mario wasn't invented?  Let's face it.  Mario has made a huge impact on video games
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 12:14:01 AM »
Sonic and unsold copies of Bubsy 3D.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »
What about Pitfall? That came before Mario, right?

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »
Yeah, but it's also pre-crash, and Super Mario Bros. added a ton of new elements on top of it.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
If Mario had never been invented, I'd say Pac-Man would be the most recognizable character ever. So, had Shigeru Miyamoto never created Donkey Kong, there would be no SMB, and, as a result, the modern platformer would be vastly different, or even nonexistant. There would be no Mario Kart, which spawned trillions of other "little kids'" racing games, meaning modern racing games would be relegated to more serious series like Gran Turismo. Man, the world would be a terrible place without Mario Party 91/2.

That gets me thinking...What if there was never a World War II, like in Resistance? WWII served as the inspiration for countless WWII movies, which, in turned, inspired programmer Silas Warner to create Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple II, meaning no CW. Since that was the inspiration for Wolfenstein 3D, the first modern first-person shooter, that means, no Doom, no Quake, and no Half-Life.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »
I constantly think about what life would be like if certain things never existed. I find it to be pretty interesting. Maybe I should make a whole new topic about that....

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »
Actully, the LOZ games might not be the same...

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 05:40:14 PM »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 05:53:30 PM »
Let's face it, without Mario, the World would have a Second Great Depression.
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »
Um, is there any legitimate proof of that?

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »
Once again, The Chef, you want proof. Don't you hear the words SARCASM and OPINION before?
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

Print