Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711634 times)

« Reply #600 on: August 13, 2006, 11:41:15 AM »
Just got back. I'm still ticked that I stayed in line for one ride for an hour and I still didn't get to get on it. And that was the only ride that I WOULD'VE GOT TO GET ON. AND IT WAS A WET RIDE AND IT WAS FRIGGIN HOT!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #601 on: August 13, 2006, 11:42:32 AM »
Why weren't you able to get on it?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #602 on: August 13, 2006, 01:02:04 PM »
Because I had to GO! WAAAA! And my feet were hurting and it was 6:00 PM and I hadn't had anything (other than a smoothie) to eat all day because all the food there was so high I'd rather starve than eat it!

And I have angst against my son (and husband) on Harvest Moon: Another WL.

He is now a teenager and he is a total brat. He thinks he is better me! (I am so into the game that I have started calling Rock my husband o_0 and Max my son.) He says things like "I know more about animals and crap like that and he doesn't say anything respectful. And he only smiles when you give him a Jade thinggie. He only smiles when he's recieving. And when he wakes up. And my husband is a lazy thing. His hair even grayed before Gustafa, the hippie-elf guy, and he doesn't help (to bad they programmed him like that). His son was mad at him and said "Why don't you have a job!??! Every other dad has one!" and Rock responed, "I do the things to keep me alive! I take naps and eat." o_0. I understand what he's going through.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #603 on: August 14, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »
Today at work, I lifeguarded a gathering of mentally handicapped people (yes, at a swimming pool -- definitely a good place to have such a meeting). On the last spot of the day, I was directing (to the best of my ability) people going down a roughly 20 foot tall waterslide. A little boy, roughly age 4 or 5, went down and got "stuck" (that is, stopped moving) about halfway down the slide. This happens rather frequently. His reaction to this does NOT happen frequently: he stood up and began walking up the slide back to the top. As soon as he got almost to the top (I was whistling and screaming pretty much the whole time with no success), he saw that the last stretch of the slide he needed to climb up to get in line was rather steep, so he begins trying to climb OUT of the slide. Remember, he's about 20 feet up, and if he falls out, he's going to land on a concrete walkway. Soon as I see this, I jump in front of everyone to go down the slide and grabbed the child to prevent him from jumping out of the slide onto the concrete. So, pretty much, I saved this child's life.

If you're the parent of a child (a mentally handicapped child, no less) who attempts to do something that will almost definitely kill him, and someone stops him from doing this, how would you speak about the person who saved your child?

After the shift, the parent came to the slide to get her child (he was attempting to open the gate on the slide after I'd bungeed it shut), and the guard working at the bottom of the slide and I explain what happened with her child. She immediately freaks out -- saying things like "What am I supposed to do about this? I was in the shower! (yes, not watching your four year old son almost die) He's HANDICAPPED! Why shouldn't he be allowed to go down the slide? Is this fair? You're BAD PEOPLE." To the best of my knowledge, the mother was not herself handicapped.

So, the next time you're in a situation where someone's life is in danger, don't do anything. You wouldn't want someone to think you're a BAD PERSON, would you?

As an aside, my faith in humanity is at an all-time low.
~I.S.~

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #604 on: August 14, 2006, 10:07:33 PM »
I don't mean to rub the ANGST the wrong way but, certainly somebody must have said, "Nice moves" or something, didn't they?

« Reply #605 on: August 14, 2006, 10:14:53 PM »
Why would she overreact when you and the other lifeguard explained the situation very nicely?

...People are crazy.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #606 on: August 14, 2006, 10:24:39 PM »
Why would she overreact when you and the other lifeguard explained the situation very nicely?

...People are crazy.

That lady had issues. You saved her sons life and she's horribly ungrateful. Anyways, she's not even supposed to leave her 4 year old mentally disabled child unattended at a public pool. Heck, you're not supposed to leave a child that young unattended at a public pool.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:12:14 PM by pt_peach »

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #607 on: August 14, 2006, 10:38:56 PM »
You shoulda' let the boy die, Steve. shure you might loose your job, but it would be worth it.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #608 on: August 14, 2006, 10:43:33 PM »
I don't mean to rub the ANGST the wrong way but, certainly somebody must have said, "Nice moves" or something, didn't they?

Actually, now that you mention it, another adult who had no relation to the family did come up to me about ten minutes after this happened and thank me graciously. Of course, this was before the parent's reaction. Since the parent's reaction was the last encounter I had with anyone, it really left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, it seemed like the other people at the pool were very grateful... everyone except the boy's mother.

Because we "criticized her son for being mentally handicapped." Apparantly, telling someone that their child almost died is "criticism" and intolerant to handcapped children.

That lady had issues. You saved her sons life and she's horribly ungrateful.

I find that a LOT of the people who go to the pool I work at have issues. I've worked there for four years, and this year has been the worst as far as inexplicable actions go.

You shoulda' let the boy die, Steve. shure you might loose your job, but it would be worth it.

Even if I were incredibly spiteful like that, at the time this happened, I had never met the child's parent. He was being taking care of by his sister (who was about six years old). That said, I don't just "let" people die because their parents are ungrateful. And I doubt I'd have been fired if the child had spontaneously jumped from the slide like I was afraid he would have. There'd have been an investigation, maybe a lawsuit (which I'd lose a $1700 car with 103,000 miles on it. That's all.), but I don't think I get criminal charges filed against me, or lose my job, if this child's action happens quickly enough for it to be unpreventable.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:46:50 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #609 on: August 14, 2006, 10:47:09 PM »
Because we "criticized her son for being mentally handicapped." Apparantly, telling someone that their child almost died is "criticism" and intolerant to handcapped children.

People always seem to have to jump to conclusions when their offspring are in a life-threatening situation, and they're not around to witness it....

« Reply #610 on: August 14, 2006, 10:48:31 PM »
Well, IS, at least every life guard (among other people) at the pool saw what you did, right? That woman should have thanked you for what you did. I guess some people are just uncaring.

What next? Will somebody be reprimanded for defusing a bomb since "The guy who made the bomb spent a lot of time making it"? Or because it's considered "property damage"?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #611 on: August 15, 2006, 12:20:04 PM »
That is totally the next thing that's going to happen to IS.

« Reply #612 on: August 15, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »
I LOL'd. I still don't get why people find Steve the most suitable person to lay their angst on.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #613 on: August 15, 2006, 03:19:07 PM »
I have two ideas for why people get so angsty at me for no apparant reason (since I have noticed this):

1) I live in the most irrational town of all the regular members of the FF;
2) I have some trait that makes people's first impressions of me worse than most people's.

Maybe a combination of both. I don't know.
~I.S.~

Jman

• Score
« Reply #614 on: August 16, 2006, 09:35:49 AM »
What next? Will somebody be reprimanded for defusing a bomb since "The guy who made the bomb spent a lot of time making it"? Or because it's considered "property damage"?
That would be like someone getting yelled at for destroying a doomsday weapon because the villain "put 30 years of his life" into it.  Rediculous if you ask me.

And pt_peach, if that boy's giving you lip, steal your husband's whip and knock some respect into him. 

Edited by Luigison to fix BBcode quote.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:22:29 AM by Luigison »
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print