Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711678 times)

« Reply #1005 on: November 14, 2006, 01:11:20 AM »
Wow, just as the Wii release is creeping closer, more people are losing the chance to puchase one.  Dropping like flies, they are.  Turns out some of my friends can't get theirs either.  One can't because he's too lazy to work for money, the other doesn't have the cash since his father is in the hospital.  Now the only person I know that's getting one is me.  Now I'm going to be standing in the Wal*Mart all by my self.  Well, me, and the other hundred people ready to fight for a Wii.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #1006 on: November 14, 2006, 04:35:56 PM »
Ugh. I have only two chances to get a Wii this November:

1. Get one on Black Friday.
2. Wake up reeeeeealy early to get a Wii on launch.

One's not happening, as I'll be out-of-town on that day, and if I actually manage to get it while I'm in Florida, it'll probably get damaged on the way back home. I'm not so sure about option 2, as my mom refuses to wake up at 5:30 AM, and my dad'll probably forget.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1007 on: November 16, 2006, 09:27:45 PM »
On my way to drop off Hannah's immunization records at the Y, I went by Best Buy and into Walmart.  It was kind of funny to see the PS3 lines with all the brand new tents.  In Walmart I was very surprised to see Wii controller, VC controllers, point cards, etc.  I grabbed a few things and headed to the counter.  I felt all fuzzy inside even though I would not have any use for anything I was buying until Sunday at the soonest.  That fuzzy feeling was shattered when the register flashed, "DO NOT SELL".  The clerk tried again.  Same results.  She said, "Oh, we can't sell these until the 19th."  She proceeded to put them away and take down everything from the Wii display.  Oh the sadness.  I mean ANGST. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1008 on: November 16, 2006, 09:33:12 PM »
But you can't tell me that you don't think it's simultaneously hilarious.

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #1009 on: November 16, 2006, 09:42:20 PM »
So my parents have given the go-ahead for camping out -- a few issues, though:

• Dad won't be back from a business trip until 6pm, so I have to wait 'til at least 7:00 to camp out
  • I can't find my lawn chairs, and I don't have a tent, nor a sleeping bag
  • I still want all of my four limbs, digits, eyes, and torso

Target opens at 8:00, and there are 120 at the local one. The surrounding area has, oh, around 500,000 people.

Blargh.
"Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does" -WarpRattler

Jman

• Score
« Reply #1010 on: November 17, 2006, 06:57:13 PM »
Would have been funny if Luigison would have said "Bill me later!"  Or paid in cash for the Wii.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #1011 on: November 17, 2006, 07:25:47 PM »
I was supposed to recieve stuff from a friend this weekend, that was going to make me and another friend really happy this weekend.  I am so MAD, we're gonna have to get it next weekend for sure though.  I guess we're just going to have music and television to entertain us this weekend :(.  Which isn't bad, but I wish I had received what I had payed for.
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #1012 on: November 17, 2006, 09:53:40 PM »
What kind of stuff?

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #1013 on: November 17, 2006, 10:42:19 PM »
Well, my mp3 player finished at $54.26, with a combined selling total of $189.26. Add the $50 I already have and you get $239.26, or $10.74 short of Wii (not including tax and eBay fees). Well, for sure I will not be able to get Wii on opening day, so I have mild ANGST. However, I will get it very soon, after I sell my GBASP and Pokemon FireRed.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 11:26:51 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #1015 on: November 17, 2006, 11:26:44 PM »
I failed on my math test. I get a chance to take it over, but I'm still trying to figure out how I didn't get any credit for getting 37 out of 50 correct.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #1016 on: November 19, 2006, 01:46:06 AM »
Wal*Mart sucks everything.  Also, families that abuse the policy suck. 

I got to the nearby Super Wal*Mar about 4.  When I got there, I went to the electronics section, where there was a sign saying that the line for the Wii is outside by the garden center.  I went to the garden center, asked the lady where the line is.  She said that there is a sign outside, and the line starts there.  Alright.  I go out, and I see the sign.  Thats all I see.  NO People in line.  So I think, Hmm, this is good.  If there is nobody there at 4, I could go have dinner and be back in 2 hours.  I go, have dinner, have a nice time.  I go back and find that there are still no people in line.  I find a nice girl planning on getting one for her brother.  We get in line UNDER THE SIGN.  The sign simply said "Line Starts Here  -->"  with it pointing toward us.  I'm sitting on the curb under the sign with her, followed by another guy who came up about 15 minutes later.  Then a large women in a van 2 spaces away said something about too late.  We didn't understand, mostly because she had a deep Slavic accent but she had rolled up her window again before we could ask.  We stand around for a while, and then a male with the same accent came up and asked us What we were doing.  Simply, we were waiting for the Wii.  No you aren't, the line is the row of cars.  I've been here since 9 pm last night.  Why should you get one for being here only a half hour when others have been here for many many hours.  (This was all bull, because by this time he came up to the three of us, we had all been there for over 2 hours.)  Right now a few things have happened.
  • The first car in the parking lot, a red sedan, was empty when I got there at 4, and again when I returned about 7:30
  • The girl I was with spoke with the man to try and clear up that he had 4, that's right, 4!! places taken in line.

A manager comes out and tells us that we are not in line.  The line is each parking spot gets 1 Wii.  There are now about 40 cars parked, with the store only getting thirty.  There were a lot fewer people when the three of us "got in line."  This all goes on for some time, with another manager coming out saying it is fine for people to park there cars and leave, so long as by five minutes before midnight, there is someone in the vehicle or space.  People came up to us many times saying they have been there for hours.  Only one group of teenage guys answered me when I asked if they had been there the entire time.  They had, in the cold, rainy, horrible weather, been outside waiting.  I flat out told them that I had no problem having them get the Wii before me.  They had been there for the full time, in line, in the cold.  I count that as in line.

The main problems I am having are, in no particular order,
  • Lack of information.  I would have no problem waiting in a parking space.  BUT, not only did the sign outside say nothing about parking spaces, but the sign inside, a larger, more detailed sign at the electronics section said only that the line started outside the Garden Center.  Also, I asked three people where the line was.  I was told all three times that the line was started at the sign saying "Line Starts Here".  Nobody said anything about parking spaces being the only thing counted.
  • Next,  People simply parking a vehicle, then leaving for any amount of time to do what they please.  ALL THE TIME, STILL COUNTING AS IN LINE!!  My apologies for the amount of caps, but this may be what bothered me the most.
  • People in the same group bogarting as many spaces, but, again, not occupying them.  The kids were often in the sedan and van in positions 1 and 2.
  • And Finally, people in cars counting as in line.  It's a simple idea.  A line to wait involves your ass waiting outside, in the cold, like the rest of the people.  I was saying to the girl and other guy that the devout and with hypothermia count as in line.  Not those relaxing in their vehicles.  Many of those who want a Wii are younger, or even those that are older, not everyone has a car they can get toasty in.  Let's see them try to wait in line at a concert or event, or well, anywhere, in there car without someone saying that they are crazy for thinking something so stupid.

After this fiasco, which resulted in my mother, the girl Nicky, her mother, and myself, trying to get some kind of satisfaction from the managers, but, then again, they're Wal*Mart managers.  Night shift managers.  I'm surprised they let them out of the zoo.  Any way, we left Wal*Mart at about 12:10, when I yelled at the Slavic family walking away with 4 Wii systems, and went to the EB down the street.  They only had Pre-orders, but were very nice, and understood what we (my mother and I) were talking about.  We then went up to the Best Buy, but it was closed.  So now, I'm going to take a nap, then at 6 am, my mother and I are going to drive everywhere in the state to find a Wii.  I don't care how far I go, if I have to beat up some Pennsylvanians, I am getting a Wii today.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #1017 on: November 19, 2006, 02:17:58 AM »
Those people are wrong. If you lined up by the sign, you should've gotten it. I guess this is one of the reasons why my mom despises Wal-Mart.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Jman

• Score
« Reply #1018 on: November 19, 2006, 02:47:12 AM »
This is nothing about me, but do you guys realize that this Christmas Day will mark the 10th anniversary of the murder of sweet, innocent Jonbenet Ramsey?  It's the saddest murder case I've ever heard of.  If I ever have a daughter who gets hurt or killed like this, I think I'd die.  Either that, or the killer would die, thanks to me.  I wish we could have had one of those "Duck Mr. Lincoln!" moments where someone could have saved her from the madman like Homer Simpson saved Abe Lincoln from John Wilkes Booth.  Another shocking thing:  Ever realize how the famous killers use their 3 names?  John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, supposed killer, but really attention starved John Mark Karr.  Strange, isn't it?     
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1019 on: November 19, 2006, 03:17:26 AM »
Argh. No luck at Wal-Mart. I AM just about 5th on the waiting list. I could be called later today... I just hope it's not when I'm in class. I don't think I'll be able to sleep... So, in conclusion, my spirits are high, but I am still Wiiless.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print