Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711512 times)

« Reply #1620 on: March 06, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »
My class rank is 130 out of 500.

Meh.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1621 on: March 06, 2007, 04:59:33 PM »
Insert something bad, eh...?

Blast off!

By the way, my class rank is four. Sounds impressive, but there are only 180 students in my class.

« Reply #1622 on: March 06, 2007, 05:21:01 PM »
That's sort of what my mom did to me, minus the swearing and three hours.

EDIT: I'm two posts off...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:48:30 PM by cantthinkofaname »
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #1623 on: March 06, 2007, 07:55:33 PM »
I have ANGST from today and for tomorrow..

I have ANGST from today because I work at Burger King, and they had to keep me until 3pm because 3 people called in this morning and we got two buses. I usually work 6am-2pm, so by the time I get off of work, I am really hungry (because I'm usually not hungry at work).

I have ANGST for tomorrow because tomorrow is my birthday and I have to go to work. I wanted to get the day off to spend with friends and family, but I couldn't sign off in time. [/ANGST]
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1624 on: March 06, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »
I have ANGST because I think I'm falling for the old "Luigi in Mario 64" trick except................

This time, it's the "Waluigi in Mario DS" hoax. I know he's not in the game, but a part of me says he is.........argh!!!!!!

« Reply #1625 on: March 06, 2007, 08:50:41 PM »
ANGST because:
1. I'm still sick, and I have to take this really bad-tasting medicine.
2. It's still snowing.
3. I have ISAT testing all week...
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1626 on: March 06, 2007, 10:05:14 PM »
Waluigi is certainly not in SM64DS. End.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1627 on: March 07, 2007, 07:32:57 AM »
Rather n00bish of me, but I'm not sure what the perameters are for having a Custom Title...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1628 on: March 07, 2007, 10:02:50 AM »
Quote from: cantthinkofaname's profile

Quote from: cantthinkofaname's mother
"go drop out of school and commit suicide [long version of a lecture about living a really crappy life]" ... "[you'll] never get into any Ivy League college".

Yep, that's what I'm telling my children during middle school. That a C on an 8th(?) grade report card is grounds for not succeeding at anything. Never mind that colleges only look at high school GPA. Also, next time your mother brings up "WHAT YOU'LL NEVER GET INTO AN IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL" -- do a bit of research on how much that actually costs. My original first choice in schools was about $42,000 a year with few scholarships (and, by the time you get to be college-aged, I suspect that it'll be between 20-40% more expensive), and I decided I'll go to a much larger school where I'm essentially attending for free (almost). In hindsight, this was a very good decision that turned out better than I thought, because I'd have gone into engineering instead of statistics, and the latter is much more interesting to me.

I've seen enough irrational parenting to not be -that- surprised someone would say this.

As for class rank, I was either 11th or 9th depending on where you take this mark from. That is, of course, completely meaningless now, two years later, as will be your SAT/ACT scores. Just a heads-up.

I guess my point is, what happens at your age really doesn't play a part in what happens later in life all that much. Of course, if you take her advice and drop out of school, you actually -will- be wasting your life (but I figure you realise that).
~I.S.~

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1629 on: March 07, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »
I'm not quite sure that money is a huge factor in CTOAN's family, if I recall correctly. But regardless, Ivy League schools don't always give you a better education, they just give you an eyebrow-raising diploma (even though it shouldn't raise eyebrows).

I'm enrolled and en route to Washington State University, which is even smaller than University of Washington, and I anticipate a fine education.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #1630 on: March 07, 2007, 03:12:09 PM »
Speaking of class rankings, this is pretty lame (go competitiveness :/ ): At the end of freshman year (living in Cali), with straight A's (8 classes, only one of which was honors) I was 5 out of like 300.
I move to NC, my class rank goes down to about 30/300. I could've easily made valedictorian at my old high school, but at my "new" school I didn't even graduate in the top ten percent (although VERY close)--with almost all A's except for one stupid B in an honors class and a 4.25 GPA! What the dukar is up with that? (My final rank was 36/333; 10.81%; I only know this because I very recently needed my transcript.)

I like to be a "big fish in a small pond," I suppose, surrounded by underachievers to make my rank higher. Maybe I don't like having to deal with competition?

On another note, I took the route of going to a community college first, then transfering to a university. I'm glad I did, because I knew I would NOT have been ready for "university life"--not to mention it's a heck of a lot cheaper for the same exact courses. The downside is they may not provide as many options as you'd like (i.e. only offer Spanish and French as foreign languages; my HS had more options than that!). Another downside is when they advise you incorrectly and you have to worry about whether a class will transfer or you'll basically have to take it over. :/

Even university-wise, I think I have a good deal; assuming I'm accepted (which I was told I would have no problems with), which I'll find out this month, I'll be attending University of North Carolina, which is supposedly either the best or fifth best "bargain" college (best education for an excellent price) in the US. Plus I learned they have the best psychology program (my major/field of interest) in the state. So I'm excited, but that belongs in the other thread.

I don't think an Ivy League school is any better. They're pretty much filled with elitists, anyway. (I'm generalizing, sorry.) The only advantage I see is what Suffix said--it gets you more attention and possibly more clout, which is sad and shouldn't.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:18:33 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #1631 on: March 07, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »
Agh, I'm feeling a little devolved right now, with all these high class rankings.

« Reply #1632 on: March 07, 2007, 06:37:46 PM »
My high school didn't have weighted grades or any way to get above 4.000, so my class rank was always #1 baby!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1633 on: March 07, 2007, 07:00:59 PM »
I never even had a class to get ranked in!
That was a joke.

« Reply #1634 on: March 07, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »
Weighted grades are only good for raising your GPA. Which is good, don't get me wrong, but hey, a B is a B. Some colleges un-weight your grade anyway, when looking to see if they want you there. So all they do is raise your GPA temporarily which raises your class rank which really only wins you bragging rights, unless you're valedictorian. Then you get some other privileges which I don't even know. Not that I'm complaining about this.

Print