Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711871 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2190 on: April 17, 2007, 07:47:37 PM »
A lot of people were killed in the glorious days of Greece, and they probably didn't even conceive a zoetrope (17th century animation device, not even a game).

« Reply #2191 on: April 17, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »
Murder was one of the first sins ever committed. The fact that people want to pin murder on a video game is so meaningless/pointless that the very words they spew forth remind me of the 2nd greatest sin: stupidity.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:00:12 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2192 on: April 17, 2007, 08:03:53 PM »
Murder was one of the first sins ever committed. The fact that people want to pin murder on a video game is so meaningless/pointless that the very words they spew forth remind me of the 2nd greatest sin: stupidity.

They've got two out of seven! They're not doing half bad, then.

I also really hate that games are becoming the scape-goat for today's society. It can't ever be bad parenting, the fact that a person might be crazy, or just bad judgement call, it has to be video games.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #2193 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:29 PM »
Wait, then explain this

EXPERT
~I.S.~

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2194 on: April 17, 2007, 11:39:51 PM »
Hmm I wonder what the scrolling headline thing at the bottom was about to say.  My sister works there...

Oh, and btw, point-by-point rebuttal of JT's BS: http://kotaku.com/gaming/feature/feature-dissecting-jacks-lies-252914.php
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:43:40 PM by MEGAߥTE »

« Reply #2195 on: April 17, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »
The kid played too much GTA, and has just learned that life has no reset button.

His game is ended.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2196 on: April 17, 2007, 11:45:56 PM »
[wtd] are you talking about?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2197 on: April 18, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
Here's a new, selfish ANGST: I wanted to jump ship from the Southwest Washington Symphony, in which my father told me I was obligated to go to two practices. Six practices later, I've grown enough distaste for it to the point where I want out. But the concert is next week, and he won't let me. This almost balances out what I'm about to post about in the HOPEFUL thread.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2198 on: April 18, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
The kid played too much GTA, and has just learned that life has no reset button.

His game is ended.

Are you joking? First off, it was revealed that he did not base the shooting on GTA. Second, using lame video game metaphors are not clever. Here's a few more: It's GAME OVER, because man is the MOST DANGEROUS GAME, and you cannot PAUSE the progress of time, etc. And third, you're basically supporting Jack Tomphson's crazy madness theories.

Simply playing video games does nothing to your psyche. You could lock me in a room and have me play GTA, Doom and Bully for a day, and I would walk out, sanity intact, at the end. Unless, of course, I couldn't use the bathroom or anything. If you already have psychological problems, then playing GTA might conceivably push you over the edge, should you interpret the game as telling you to kill people. Look at Columbine: The two shooters didn't say Doom gave them the inspiration; they mentioned Doom once. The rest was insane Nazi-esque rantings and other weirdness. The Virginia Tech shooter already had a history of mental problems, and said in various notes that he was doing it against "rich kids" and "decietful charlatans". He never even freaking mentioned video games. So I wish Jack Tomphson would quit capitalizing on tragedies such as this to further his career. I mean, I think he's already been banned from lawyering in several states; I'm surprised he has any credibility left.
every

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2199 on: April 18, 2007, 10:51:03 AM »
Hold on a moment! Perhaps Toad was merely making a sarcastic remark that is related to the fact Jack Thompson was called a "School Shootings Expert." Yeesh!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2200 on: April 18, 2007, 12:20:43 PM »
Well, okay, then forget all the accusations. Still, video game metaphors like "game over" and so on have always irked me ever since that retarded CSI: Miami episode.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2201 on: April 18, 2007, 12:21:49 PM »
It was tasteless regardless.

« Reply #2202 on: April 18, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »
People kill people. Not video games. There are several other factors that attribute to a shooting. When a person is so crazy/out of his mind that he can't distinguish fake from reality, then he's the danger to society, not the game.

Why did this person go on a shooting spree anyway? Was he crazy, or was he........stupid?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2203 on: April 18, 2007, 04:43:15 PM »
He was crazy, but could definitely distinguish fake from reality.

« Reply #2204 on: April 18, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
So far the only explanation he had for the shooting was a note he left in his dorm that said "You made me do this". Exactly who "You" is, why they're responsible for the boy finally snapping, or what motive he had behind it is still under investigation.

At the very least, the news is focusing on a real tragedy and not the DNA evidence of Anna Nicole Smith's daughter.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print