Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711454 times)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #2370 on: May 10, 2007, 10:00:31 PM »
You know what I hate about moderating forums?

There's always someone complaining about the job you're doing. I mean, even if you change your moderating style and the first person stops complaining, another person suddenly hates the changes you make. It's a neverending looping cycle, man.
~I.S.~

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #2371 on: May 10, 2007, 10:14:58 PM »
Moderating is important, though (must not forget it).

I really dislike Moderators since I went on GameFAQs Message Boards. You have a Stupid Karma System that you earn once per day.

For just sarcastically saying the USA in vain, some member took this seriously and reported to the Moderators and the Administrators.

They took it off and put me on -6 Karma, only able to send 1 message a day. The system is really pathetic.

I hope the FF doesn't do this...
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2372 on: May 10, 2007, 10:42:28 PM »
* Luigison makes note to start Matty_G33 with negative 100 Karma when The Fungi Forums Karma system goes live.

Just kidding.  Negative 33 would probably be more appropriate. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #2373 on: May 10, 2007, 10:48:46 PM »
The system works with "board levels". You can go up to a rank that has no restrictions, but something like -33 would make the moderators put your level on -4.

That level means in 24 hours, your username will be deleted off the server.

Go look up GameFAQs, Help, Board Info, and see it for yourself, Luigison. The thing is so freaking strict!
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2374 on: May 11, 2007, 09:15:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm glad the FF keeps it simple. Also, I'm glad that the mods aren't vengeful loonies, like on a certain other forum whose name I will not mention that isn't GameFAQs. But trust me, on that forum, whose name I will not mention for fear of hurt feelings, the moderators are absolute jerks. Someone got banned because he said he didn't know what a certain thread was about.
every

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2375 on: May 11, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »
Yes, banning for a misunderstanding seems far too harsh to me.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2376 on: May 11, 2007, 10:53:53 AM »
That's not all. Someone else was banned because he said he dislikes George Bush. I mean, that's just ridiculous.

Okay, I'll admit, I'm not saying which forum it is because I forget (and also the hurt-feelings thing). I remember stumbling across it and scanning over a few threads. What's amusing is that swear-laden flames are okay (or at least ignored), but disagreeing with a mod gets you banned.
every

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #2377 on: May 11, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »
I think a big part of any misunderstanding between mods/staff here and the member base is explained by one of the more recent threads here - the How old are you? thread.

With one exception, all of the mods+ on this site are 20 years old or older. Of the non-mod+ members, I'd estimate the average age to be around 16 or so. 16 year olds will act a lot differently than adults on post board forums. 14 year olds, even more so (I seriously thought I was "mature" at 14, I read back to my posts then and cringe) ... I'm not saying you aren't mature at 14, I'm just saying... when you turn 19 or 20, read your posts from back when you were 14.
~I.S.~

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2378 on: May 11, 2007, 01:54:38 PM »
Yeah...I read back on some of my old posts. Dang, was I stupid back then. And that was just, like, a year or two ago.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2379 on: May 11, 2007, 02:29:42 PM »
With one exception, all of the mods+ on this site are 20 years old or older. Of the non-mod+ members, I'd estimate the average age to be around 16 or so. 16 year olds will act a lot differently than adults on post board forums. 14 year olds, even more so (I seriously thought I was "mature" at 14, I read back to my posts then and cringe) ... I'm not saying you aren't mature at 14, I'm just saying... when you turn 19 or 20, read your posts from back when you were 14.
I agree. I think a lot of my old posts are silly, and there are probably several that I would delete if I had the power.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #2380 on: May 11, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »
Dang revisionist historians.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #2381 on: May 11, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »
I always knew that these forums required a certain level of etiquette.

« Reply #2382 on: May 12, 2007, 12:12:05 PM »
I've realized that it is better to act myself when talking on the internet.

In my n00b days here, I was being a little jerk. I could have easily acted more maturely than I did. I look back and cringe because I'm not that much older than I was then. I mean, that year I was acing all subjects in school. The teachers-pet type. The goody-goody in school. My friends knew I was the quiet one and when I joined here I kinda let it all go. I was one of those kids who thought it was okay to use-incorrect-grammar-and-act-stupid-on-the-internet-and-get-away-with-it.  I can see where my how I am maturing. Once upon a time I used to post in every little thread I saw just to get people to notice me. Now I only post on what I think is important or when I'm looking a bit of fun. My posts in the Pointless Topic have dropped. I now make use of the BOLD and italics. They are very useful for getting your point across and telling exactly how you feel.

But this is just me. I feel that I've matured in miraculous ways since my joining in late 2005.

Oh yeah, I just felt like expressing my past angst.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #2383 on: May 12, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »
Okay, more angst.

wiat. the emulator visualadvance? 4 the computer? i have that one

I just looked back at my old posts and I feel extremely stupid. 'Wiat'? What the heck is a wiat? I used 4!!!!

That post is an example of bad spelling and grammar. It makes me shudder. I'm glad that part of me died before 2007.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #2384 on: May 12, 2007, 03:34:53 PM »
Follow up ANGST to a couple of weeks back...

Though the concert I was in went great (see HOPEFUL), right after it, I accidently walked into a music stand cart, and it tore through my black dress shirt.

It's being taken to the tailor this weekend because I can't bring myself to get a new one.

I got it back today, and saw that all the tailor did was take a navy blue (not black, navy blue) patch and put it on the inside of the shirt, where the rip was, and sewed it shut. The patch is quite uncomfortable, too.

I don't know if I can get another dress shirt like it....

Also I got the ACT results back. This time, I got a 21. That's only one point higher than my previous score, a 20. I stuidied this time, only to get one extra point.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print