Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711652 times)

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2805 on: June 27, 2007, 11:05:30 PM »
Death is just graduating from life.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2806 on: June 27, 2007, 11:39:35 PM »
You sort of got my point I guess, Max. I was saying though, why is it so special to be congratulated on getting through something you weren't given a choice about? You were expected to arrive at that point anyway. Most people don't have that choice.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2807 on: June 28, 2007, 01:25:16 AM »
Now I know ex-ACTLY what to say to someone if I ever kill them (like, in a dream or something, I'm no murderer). "Congratulations." In a really low, cold voice. Then I blast a party popper with a bomb in it at them. Thanks, Markio.
Congratulations, Vidgmchtr.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2808 on: June 28, 2007, 02:34:47 AM »
I'm filled with ANGST because someone I believed to be a trustworthy friend is going to tell one of my most hidden secrets to the very last person I want it told to tomorrow. >:(
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2809 on: June 28, 2007, 06:48:18 AM »
What's the secret? I mean, can't you just tell him/her to, like, stop? Maybe introduce him/her to Mr. Lincoln?
every

« Reply #2810 on: June 28, 2007, 08:36:22 AM »
Or perhaps you could... congratulate them.

« Reply #2811 on: June 28, 2007, 10:44:17 AM »
*explodey noise*
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #2812 on: June 28, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »
No you didn't. :P

I don't care what anyone says, moving from elementary school to middle school or from middle school to high school ISN'T graduating.

Harsh? Probably, but it is not a big feat when you finish a school only to continue in another school because you HAVE to continue in another school. Sure, it's great that you keep going, but, did you get a diploma for your efforts? Not yet? Then don't call it a graduation.

(This pretty much acted as an ANGST post perfectly. :P)

Yes I did, Vid.

YES IT IS GRADUATING! I mean, your grades are good enough for you to move on. It's really worth celebration. But for some reason people think graduating from high school is more important than graduating from middle school. I disagree I think the same level of congratulations is deserved. I've seen people graduate from high school and get more congratulations than after they graduate from college.

And for the record, I did get a diploma :D. I'll show it to you all after I get the camera back up.

Hey! I did graduate from Kindergarten! The memory just showed up and I got a certificate...I look back and think that gradating from Kindergarten is pointless, although still worth congratulating a person on.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #2813 on: June 28, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »
I will be blunt, Pt_Peach, I apologize in advance.

So, if you were to show that "diploma" to the boss of a government job, they'd accept you, and look at it JUST like they would a high school diploma? If you were to apply for college right now, and you said in your application you got a diploma from your middle school, would they look at that slip of paper of yours the same way they'd look at the book I was given the other day?

No?

That's not a diploma you have, puddin'. It's a fancy slip of paper. One that says you're done with middle school with important signatures on it. That's it. It's not a true "diploma." Sure, it's great that you completed middle school, but you still got 4 more years of required learnin' ahead of you. I don't. I can stop here if I wanted to.

I've seen people graduate from high school and get more congratulations than after they graduate from college.
Well, they didn't have to attend college. No one does. Like I said, after high school education is completely optional. I'd think graduating required learning is a bigger accomplishment then graduating something you chose to do.

Of course, you can have a party and ceremony and all that other good stuff, but to call it a "graduation" is merely an act of kindness from adults. A lie to make you feel like you've accomplished more than you really did. A "moving up" ceremony sounds more fitting for your level of education completion.

Congratulations on your completion of middle school, Pt. :D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2814 on: June 28, 2007, 09:32:44 PM »
I got a bogus middle school graduation too, last year. Not all that memorable--I sat on an uncomfortable chair in an uncomfortable gown with an uncomfortable suit underneath and an uncomfortable hat. I listened to some uncomfortably long speeches by the idiots elected to run the deal... "These Chinese takeout boxes are filled with momentums we will see in four years." Stab. Please. Then after an uncomfortable session of photos I got to go home and eat some cake with my family. And that wasn't all too bad.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2815 on: June 28, 2007, 09:33:56 PM »
We had some decent ceremony where we walked along a bridge. It would have sucked had I not won anything.

« Reply #2816 on: June 28, 2007, 11:08:44 PM »
Heh, we didn't even bother with Middle School graduation at Lakeview. Heck, I was just happy to get outta Jr. high, 'cause it sucked.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2817 on: June 28, 2007, 11:17:11 PM »
Some of you (e.g. Vid) seem to misunderstand the meaning of "graduate".
7. to pass by degrees; change gradually.
10.   to arrange in grades or gradations; establish gradation in.
11.   to divide into or mark with degrees or other divisions, as the scale of a thermometer.
You even graduate from one grade in school to the next. Just most people don't make a big deal of it. All "graduating" is is going from one level to the next. The broad definition doesn't even mean leaving a chunk of school or finishing with it at all. So, Vid, your "graduation" ceremony was a "moving up" ceremony too. You lose. Good day sir.

Congratulations.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2818 on: June 28, 2007, 11:45:03 PM »
Your selected definitions don't generally apply to the school-completion meaning of graduation.
These lower levels of "graduation" are rather silly.  Heck, they didn't even have high school graduation when my dad was in school.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2819 on: June 28, 2007, 11:50:01 PM »
Well it seems to me the word "graduation" doesn't apply to school completion either. It does now, of course, because it has acquired that meaning, but it's a kind of nonsensical use of the word.
I'm also going to note for Vid's info that public education isn't exactly mandatory in most places, either.
That was a joke.

Print