Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711826 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2895 on: July 17, 2007, 09:17:26 AM »
I hate whenever I feel like I'm supposed to like a popular movie. It's even worse when the movie is lousy anyway. To me, the Harry Potter series, which, yes, I have read, is basically just a bunch of formulaic plot events (Harry gets kicked out of his crappy home, Harry goes to Hogwarts, Harry meets a new villian, then a bunch of holidays, then the final battle) and weird psuedo-metaphorical crap (so, Voldemort can only take you over if you once lost a family member and...wha?) wrapped around a boring narrative. Every Harry Potter book and movie is, on a basic level, the same story. I wouldn't be surprised if J.K. Rowling has an identical checklist of plot points that she uses for every book.
every

« Reply #2896 on: July 17, 2007, 09:32:33 AM »
Then I'd better get me that checklist so I'll become one of the richest people on earth. :P

« Reply #2897 on: July 17, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
I hate whenever I feel like I'm supposed to like a popular movie.

I've felt similarly about Transformers. At another forum I go to, I made a thread about Ratatouille, letting the people there know it was a good movie and that they'd like it if they went to see it. What were the majority of the replies? "I'd rather see Transformers instead". "Transformers is awesome, I'll probably see that instead of Ratatouille and rent Ratatouille when it comes out on DVD", "It probably has NOTHING against Transformers. I'm seeing that."

I seriously feel like, just to bust their chops a little, posting there telling them I hate Transformers and that the movie is probably terrible. Truthfully, I have neutral opinions of Transformers in general, I recall watching the cartoon (was it anime? I can't remember) as a very young child but not being too crazy about it.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2898 on: July 17, 2007, 12:41:40 PM »
I already saw Transformers, and I'm bummed out because my girlfriend saw that with me and now that she's in Europe we won't get to see Ratatouille together. :(

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2899 on: July 17, 2007, 05:00:58 PM »
Why do people have to choose between movies to see?  Is it some "once a month" rule or something?

As for having to like something popular, I don't know if others have this problem, but the crowd that I am near most of the time often gossips.  And I don't know if I'm just bad at it or what, but it is really boring and I feel let down every time someone starts talking about someone I don't know who did something I don't care about.   It's like everyone has to go around and mention someone or something they know that is cool, but I'd rather go do stuff.  That's why I just climb buildings at parties.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #2900 on: July 17, 2007, 06:00:43 PM »
Anyone plan on seeing the Simpsons movie when it hits theaters next Friday? Mac and I sure do. I just hope it's good. Seriously. Last time I checked (which was about a year ago), the show was really going downhill. I mean, sheesh. Moe wanting to kill himself all the time? Not funny in the least.

Blargh...headache...Don't feel like typing right now...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2901 on: July 17, 2007, 06:14:43 PM »
I plan on dragging my dad to it! :)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #2902 on: July 17, 2007, 06:44:21 PM »
I love how a couple of years ago, they referenced the Wild Thornberries movie and commented on how you're paying money for a movie based on a show you could watch for free on TV.

I think the same philosophy applies here. Especially since it'll probably be just as bad as recent seasons but people will go and see it anyway because of the name and hype.

UNRELATED EDIT:

No. Just no. Khali is a blackhole of suck, nearly as big as Cena, yet somehow even worse.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:59:12 PM by Mr. Wiggles »
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2903 on: July 18, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
I very rarely bother to watch movies, in part because there are very few movies worth seeing. Also what is with these guys and their total unwillingness to watch the few movies that are actually worth seeing at least once?
For the record, I would rather see Transformers than Ratatouille.
I don't really care about Harry Potter at all but the movies are sort of entertaining.
Books are sort of "better" than the movies they make from them but since they're completely different forms of media I don't understand how one can really compare them in the first place. A lot of the time you feel that way because in order to make the movie work, they have to rearrange parts of the book. Of course, there are those inexcusable examples (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) of a story horribly mutilated for no good reason at all.
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2904 on: July 19, 2007, 09:30:44 PM »
We had some big discussion on books vs. movies in my English class last year, you know, anything but learn English, but one major point was that a movie based on a book is only one interpretation of the book, while you can interpret a book however you want when you read it.  Like sometimes for fun I just imagine the characters flailing their arms about while talking, and you'll probably never see that in a movie... :/

Man, I didn't like that English teacher.  He needed a therapist to talk to, because he would make us listen to his stories and advice which had no relevant point, often no point at all except to talk for the sake of talking.  I talk for no reason too, but not during class when we're supposed to be learning.  What's worse is that no one else seemed to be interested in English, and people would ask questions about his tangents which would result in more tangents, and it seemed like he would always explain everything in long, convoluted examples that were often weak in the first place, making him have to use another example and go on and on and on... He also asked vague questions when he expected one specific answer that he should have just told us.  For example, "what does every story have?"  Out of all possible answers, he meant to talk about "Endings", although we never really got around to it because he ended up getting sidetracked by himself and telling us some other story.  One time we started class by letting us read a poem and then analyze it, but instead he spent no shorter than fifty-five minutes talking about how adulthood is dismal and we would all grow up to be fat and unhappy and depressed, after which I had to raise my hand and start analyzing the poem to everyone else's verbal dismay, which made me stand up and yell what Ben Jonson's "On My First Son" was about for another five minutes until my adrenalin subued and I sat back down nd trailed off.  I had promised myself I wouldn't freak out in a class that year too...
The only reason I'm complaining is because this is the Angst thread and it makes me feel better.  Because I don't have a therapist either, so I dump my problems on all of you, we dump them on each other in this thread, don't we?  Besides, he's not my teacher anymore, and I got through the class without too much of a fuss(besides that one time), especially since by second semester I learned to take his lessons not seriously unless he was talking aout English.  He loved to get himself worked up and talk about really serious melancholy subjects, like how he fell on afire when he was three and now his legs have burns on them, or how he had to take five years of high school and eight of college to get his undergraduate degree. He would just introduce these stories, and I didn't know whether to feel sorry for him or pray he would get a therapist.  I learned more about his childhood than I did about writing essays.  Of course if he were talking about something outside himself in a matter-of-fact way, I loved to ease the tension with a good one-liner.  Man, those can ease anything!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2905 on: July 19, 2007, 10:55:49 PM »
But not all stories have endings. What the heck?
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2906 on: July 20, 2007, 02:16:37 AM »
Hey, Markio, at least your rants are entertaining! Flailing their arms about... Hilarious.

« Reply #2907 on: July 20, 2007, 09:09:58 AM »
I'm NOT going to visit my aunt this weekend. THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #2908 on: July 20, 2007, 02:31:02 PM »
I've felt similarly about Transformers. At another forum I go to, I made a thread about Ratatouille, letting the people there know it was a good movie and that they'd like it if they went to see it. What were the majority of the replies? "I'd rather see Transformers instead". "Transformers is awesome, I'll probably see that instead of Ratatouille and rent Ratatouille when it comes out on DVD", "It probably has NOTHING against Transformers. I'm seeing that."

I seriously feel like, just to bust their chops a little, posting there telling them I hate Transformers and that the movie is probably terrible. Truthfully, I have neutral opinions of Transformers in general, I recall watching the cartoon (was it anime? I can't remember) as a very young child but not being too crazy about it.

I can't help but wonder what other forums you visit, Vid. I guess it's because I'm so used to just seeing you on the FF. A user at another forum I go to currently has a sig saying to go see the movie. I'll watch it.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2909 on: July 20, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »
I just saw Ratatouille today, and I loved it!  I'm active on two other forums.  One of them, I KNOW the majority would say "I'd rather see Transformers instead". Angst time: I tried to make a YouTube Poop thread on the aforementioned forum, but the majority of the members just spit on it. :/
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print