Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711555 times)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #3405 on: October 19, 2007, 12:12:46 PM »
I've always seen the internet as a neutral third party, myself. It treats you, for the most part, how you deserve to be treated.
~I.S.~

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3406 on: October 19, 2007, 12:19:48 PM »
I have ANGST because sarcasm is one of my absolute favorite ways to be a jerk on the internet.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3407 on: October 19, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »
I love sarcasm, because it lets me pick on little kids without it being obvious.
every

« Reply #3408 on: October 19, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
Oh, sarcasm. Sarcasm is just very unnecessary and very mean. I've seen people's feelings hurt(online and in real life) by people being sarcastic towards them. It's not a matter of sensitivity or that a person needs to "toughen up". It's just overly annoying and mean.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #3409 on: October 19, 2007, 02:10:15 PM »
I've always seen the internet as a neutral third party, myself. It treats you, for the most part, how you deserve to be treated.

Then why is it treating the elitists here (you all know who you are) much more nicely than the users who DON'T have short fuses?
(yes, I consider myself to have a VERY long fuse, despite the fact that I haven't shown it here in recent times =|)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #3410 on: October 19, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »
Then why is it treating the elitists here (you all know who you are) much more nicely than the users who DON'T have short fuses?

Ah-ha, so I'm not the only one.

I was well aware that my rant on the last page wouldn't do much of anything, but at least I'm glad I threw it out there. It never really hit me until someone important left because of sarcasm/rude comments. In a way, I am happy NE89 left because it gave me the opportunity to bring this to attention. Trust me, if it was a new person leaving only after 3 weeks of stay, no one would have cared and things would have continued the way they are now.

Sarcasm is awful and unfunny. It must be stopped. It's only ever used with bad intentions anyway. The way Chupperson had used it on BriGuy that caused is the only way it is ever used. Thus concludes my explanation on why the generalization that sarcasm is a bad thing is completely understandable and accurate.

I'm not talking about the sarcasm that is funny to both parties (the sender and receiver). You know, the kind two buddies share to just laugh at each other. I'm talking about the sarcasm that only benefits one party (most certainly the sender). Usually that type of sarcasm is rude and unnecessary, and I'm very, VERY sure many of the lower members here (you know who you are) have had it used against them in one form or another. It's the kind of sarcasm that made NE89 leave.

Remember when Max proposed for a new Fungi Forums? We all agreed because it benefited the entire site and it's members. Well, I'm proposing something else, something that could benefit regulars and new members alike, and I hope I'll get at least some of the respect Max got when he said the board needed change. How about we try being a little bit nicer. Just try. I'm not asking to change anything else but the way you speak to people. Even if you hate them deep down inside, try and be nice. Even to new members who drive you crazy with internet talk and an infinite barrage of topics. Just try, and maybe we could all learn to get along better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:06:43 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3411 on: October 19, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
How nice do you want us to be? There's almost absolutely no drama or flamefests here, and very rarely is there a problem that divides the userbase between one line.

I agree that we should probably tone down on the sarcasm, but that decision's in the hands of the user, not the entire community.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #3412 on: October 19, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »
Maybe you don't see it because it hasn't happened to you yet. I'm not asking that we be sunshine happy all the time, just tone down the rude comments and the sarcasm. I know it's the user's choice to be nice or rude, but it doesn't seem like anyone really wants to change the way they approach other members. If you want me to show you some examples of unnecessary rudeness, I'll be glad to do it, though I can't promise everyone's gonna be happy about it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3413 on: October 19, 2007, 06:52:39 PM »
Steve is right, and the people that get flustered on the Internet don't know how to take a hint/adapt/function in society.
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #3414 on: October 19, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »
Sarcasm is my main way of talking. It doesn't always have to be offensive or anything; it can make for some funny jokes, and is really useful for making important points.

EDIT: Well maybe not main...........that'd be weird.........
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 08:48:59 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #3415 on: October 20, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »
I just came from an argument with my dad.

He complains that I don't do my fair share around the household. But I told him that I do it in my school work, which keeps piling high. He's always complaining how he never has time to do anything, and it's the same situation for me. I'm at school from 8AM-3PM, don't get home until 5 PM, and I do homework for at least two hours, lately three or four. That means it's between 8-10 PM when I can actually do something (hour for dinner), and he expects me to then waste my only free time on the weekend (which is sometimes clogged up with more homework) to do six loads of laundry when they do not need to be immediately done. I told him I'd get them done, and I honestly was going to get them done after guitar lessons (which I should be at right now, but I canceled due to this argument), but he supposedly wanted them started while he was at work. Does it even freakin' matter when they're done? Honestly, I'm trying to secure my earthly future here, and he's worried about something that doesn't even need to be done immediately. But, of course, he's the parent, so he doesn't need a reason for everything he does or says.

I'm tired of him. I really am. If I only had a better place to go besides my grandmother's house. Until I'm 18 I'm stuck here with a hypocritical tyrant that is trying to drag me into his depression.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #3416 on: October 21, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »
Even to new members who drive you crazy with internet talk and an infinite barrage of topics.

Let us not forget that we were all new members once.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3417 on: October 21, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »
However, we weren't all that type of new member once.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3418 on: October 21, 2007, 12:21:56 PM »
If I'm ever too sarcastic, just let me know.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Jman

• Score
« Reply #3419 on: October 22, 2007, 05:19:04 PM »
Gee, I might have to leave...I'm too sarcastic for my own good sometimes.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print