Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711561 times)

« Reply #3555 on: November 20, 2007, 02:35:39 PM »
What Inquisition schools were your family members taught at?  No one I've ever spoken to has had something like a 4x6 paddle used against them.  I've only ever heard of a ruler across the hands.

Please don't blame violence on the lack of violence, or on the Bible being removed.  It's the "Do as I say, not as I do" rule, which is stupid.  As for the Bible...it's a book.  It doesn't have the power to keep people from committing acts of violence.  It can influence people, yes, but there are so many holes in the idea that just because the Bible is no longer in schools there is more violence that it cannot be held valid.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #3556 on: November 20, 2007, 02:39:48 PM »
Please don't blame violence on the lack of violence, or on the Bible being removed.  It's the "Do as I say, not as I do" rule, which is stupid. 

Proof?

What Inquisition schools were your family members taught at?  No one I've ever spoken to has had something like a 4x6 paddle used against them.  I've only ever heard of a ruler across the hands.

Every adult I've spoken to has told me about the paddle.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3557 on: November 20, 2007, 03:26:32 PM »
I was merely saying that I don't agree with the idea the using some form of physical violence on someone will keep them from using violence on someone else.  I generally don't believe in violence as a tool to "teach". 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #3558 on: November 20, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »
Spanking/paddling, in my opinion, isn't very violent at all. Because I was never spanked in Elementary school, I used to pick on kids based on their appearance. It wasn't until Middle school, where I received the same treatment I gave out as a little kid, that I learned that picking on others was wrong. Sometimes it takes a taste of your own medicine to teach rather than just let the kids do what they want without punishment, and that's why I believe strict enforcement of rules is important.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:57:09 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #3559 on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:42 PM »
But your saying that the only way to punish is to beat the child, so that they don't do the same thing.  That may work, but what about the child's children?  If they are taught to not hit, how do they keep their kids from being violent?  Not by hitting them, since they would be against that, so what's left?  Where as if they're taught to be non-violent by non-violent means, then when they have to do the same thing with their kids, they don't have to be a contradiction.  Now, I don't know what the best method of getting that point across is;  It changes for each child, each parent.  But I will say that violence isn't the answer, even if it's meant in the best way.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3560 on: November 20, 2007, 04:17:52 PM »
Spanking/paddling, in my opinion, isn't very violent at all. Because I was never spanked in Elementary school, I used to pick on kids based on their appearance. It wasn't until Middle school, where I received the same treatment I gave out as a little kid, that I learned that picking on others was wrong. Sometimes it takes a taste of your own medicine to teach rather than just let the kids do what they want without punishment, and that's why I believe strict enforcement of rules is important.
No, that just means you're ignorant.
I suppose you're not quite as disturbing as the "Christians" who advocate whipping infants, but seriously... hitting your children with things is a ridiculous idea. "Strict enforcement" can be accomplished quite adequately without resorting to violence.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:27:48 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3561 on: November 20, 2007, 04:36:39 PM »
Violence= lazy parenting

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #3562 on: November 20, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »
When done correctly, spanking isn't violent at all.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #3563 on: November 20, 2007, 05:15:35 PM »
I was hit for being naughty, usually by my mother, during my pre-school days. After that, the hitting from them mysteriously stopped. Somehow they learned that hitting didn't really have any effect on me, positive or negative.

I recall one day that I won't ever forget, a day when my grandparents babysat us one summer. They were getting annoyed with my sister and I, for whatever reason that makes little children annoying. This was the only time my grandfather (who passed away a little over a month ago) had raised his voice at my sister and I. Of course this just made us egg him on. He hit us, and we claimed that it didn't really hurt at all. Then, he said this which will never leave my head:

"It doesn't hurt? I'LL MAKE IT HURT!"

He hit us again, considerably harder this time.

When mom learned of this when she got home, she scolded him, and told him that neither she nor our father believed in spanking us. They pretty much stopped babysitting us after that, and my mother opted for a girl who lived down the street whose younger brother was coincidentally friends with my older brother.

So does spanking really help? From my experience, not really. Then again, besides those mentioned times, I was usually well behaved.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #3564 on: November 20, 2007, 06:35:43 PM »
No, that just means you're ignorant.
See, this is why I hate debating here. Instead of providing evidence and facts, people resort to name calling. Really, do you know for a fact that I'm ignorant? Do you? You're basing this statement on one subject you disagree with me on.

I'd also like to here about this "adequate solution" that can enforce the rules. All I know is the way things are going now are not working, yet the things we did in the past were much better. How many school shootings will it take before we finally do something more about the bullies, other then putting them in detention? Spanking and paddling seemed to work well in the past (there were only like 2 school shootings before they stopped the spanking in school) but we've stopped doing both of them now, and the bullies are getting let off easy. They in turn go out and bully some more, which in turn leads to a tortured student shooting up the school. Look at the VT shooter and Columbine shooters. All 3 of them were outcasts and picked on by bullies, all because the school let it happen. I could go on and on about this.

Also, I never said "beat the child". I said paddling/spanking in school is the best way to handle a bully or an irresponsible child. You people totally blew it way out of proportion. The freaking' subject wasn't even about parents and beating their children for gosh sakes! It was about schools and their approach to handling bullies, which in turn leads to school shootings.

This is something I feel strong about, and I'm open to debate at all times. When people start calling me ignorant because they disagree, in addition to manipulating what I said, I feel as if it's more like mudslinging than actual debating.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:00:47 PM by PaperLuigi »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3565 on: November 20, 2007, 07:18:36 PM »
Hold it, you're the one who used the quote, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind," for a sig. Violence as punishment is an eye for an eye.

School shootings happen when an unfortunate kid is not only tormented by bullies but also has parents who don't care. I don't think I'd be able to get away with a revenge plot like a suicide shooting without my parents noticing, and they've always loved me enough for me to not turn evil-emo to begin with. I just have great parents.

I agree that schools do sucky jobs at carrying out punishment, however. The problem is that grades don't matter to the rule-breakers.Forcing detention is nearly impossible--when detention is issued to an entire class because the teacher is too lazy to pick out those who deserve it/is too scared to do so, the responsible ones who don't deserve it will show up, not wanting further punishment, and those who did deserve detention won't. Calling parents probably won't help, since either their parents won't care or the student won't care what their parents say anyway.

So the only solution is to just wait, that bully will grow up to be a ruffian and wind up in prison.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3566 on: November 20, 2007, 07:35:58 PM »
Hold it, you're the one who used the quote, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind," for a sig. Violence as punishment is an eye for an eye.

I know. I also said if more people listened (mainly bullies) then there would be no need for violence/spankings/whatever. Besides, spankings and paddling aren't even that violent.

I appreciate the argument that BP presents. He didn't call me ignorant, nor did he manipulate what I said. It's much more fun and easier to debate without mudslinging.

It is true that parents play a key role in upbringing their kids, but if school was a better place, would they find in necessary to shoot it up? Eliminating the bully factor is something we need to focus on.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:40:50 PM by PaperLuigi »

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #3567 on: November 20, 2007, 07:44:46 PM »
I seriously felt like smacking my three year old nephew today. His mom spent six hours on eBay while he ran around my house terrorizing everyone he saw. His mom paid no attention to him and my mom only threatened to put him on the couch. But we all know that doesn't work.

Really. I was this close to whipping him.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3568 on: November 20, 2007, 08:48:33 PM »
I have gasoline-wasting ANGST. I went to 3 stores and none of them have or have heard of Link's Crossbow Training or the Wii Zapper.

« Reply #3569 on: November 20, 2007, 08:51:45 PM »
I can honestly say I'm an advocate of using quick slaps to teach a kid a lesson. I remember when I was young and I acted up my parents would give me a quick slap for being disrespectful or purposely going against their rules. It wasn't just me either, all of my siblings have gone through this. Mind you this was always a last resort type of thing so I would never consider it child abuse.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print