Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711651 times)

« Reply #4110 on: February 16, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »
Eh, usually at least one of the sentences in your anti-Nintendo rants refers to a collective group of people you seem to imply is bigger than it really is.

But what BP said. You're not the only one who has made annoying rants about Nintendo, another guy always made these annoying threads about Sony and Nintendo and one being better than the other, constantly switching sides.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #4111 on: February 16, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »
Eh, usually at least one of the sentences in your anti-Nintendo rants refers to a collective group of people you seem to imply is bigger than it really is.

But what BP said. You're not the only one who has made annoying rants about Nintendo, another guy always made these annoying threads about Sony and Nintendo and one being better than the other, constantly switching sides.

Who was that, Mario Maniac? I can't quite remember....
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #4112 on: February 16, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »
Yeah, him.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4113 on: February 16, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »
It's not just the fact that games that haven't even been released yet are being senselessly bashed. It's also the repetitiveness and how the way it ends every time just leaves both sides agitated.

Edit: While I'm on the train of thought, the reason that Nintendo didn't appeal to "casual gamers" twenty years ago is because they didn't exist. What we call casual gaming today is more or less all you could do--even the console games for the NES were mostly arcade games. How is Super Mario Bros., extremely easy and short, any harder-core than Super Mario Galaxy?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:01:57 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4114 on: February 16, 2008, 08:44:46 PM »
Continuing my gripes from a few days ago, it would seem like the one person that I need to talk to about this problem is totally shutting me out. Why? Because she has a friend at her place right now that has a Wii. Anyone remember what happened when my boyfriend got a Wii back in November? It's the same crap all over again!

You know what? I hate the Wii. I don't care if I haven't played it much. I don't like stuff that corrupts my friends.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #4115 on: February 18, 2008, 11:03:55 AM »
Continuing my gripes from a few days ago, it would seem like the one person that I need to talk to about this problem is totally shutting me out. Why? Because she has a friend at her place right now that has a Wii. Anyone remember what happened when my boyfriend got a Wii back in November? It's the same crap all over again!

You know what? I hate the Wii. I don't care if I haven't played it much. I don't like stuff that corrupts my friends.

No! You're talking like a crazy person!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4116 on: February 18, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »
Pfft. I'm crazy? Compared to people that think Wii > character? I'm sorry, but last time I checked, friendship wasn't about the Wii and lots of money.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #4117 on: February 18, 2008, 04:31:39 PM »
but, with lots of money you can buy a Wii and friends!
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #4118 on: February 18, 2008, 04:39:07 PM »
Life really isn't all video games, megamush. XP

She's entitled to hate the Wii if she wants to. But, I have a feeling that you only hate the Wii because you can't pay for/find one, correct, N64 Chick?

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #4119 on: February 18, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
Life really isn't all video games, megamush. XP
your kidding right?
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #4120 on: February 18, 2008, 04:48:53 PM »
You should be more mad at your friend. It's what your friends end up doing with the Wii that are the problem, because the Wii is only a product. It's up to people themselves what they do with them or how much they use them.
I'm a horrible person.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4121 on: February 18, 2008, 05:10:33 PM »
Yeah, I have to concur that the Wii isn't doing anything at all. After all, it's ... a machine. It can't think or do anything on its own.
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #4122 on: February 18, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
So this weekend I went to a state-level high school speech competition. My girlfriend's friend's sister was competing (in the dramatic interpretation event) and we went to watch her and the rest of her heat. There were 19 competitors, 6 were in the heat we saw.

Of the 6, the person we went to see and this one guy who did an amazing interpretation of a hobo both had excellent performances. There were two others that were fairly good and two others that were outright bad: one with no soul or drama at all, whatsoever, and another who did an incredibly inaccurate, extremely insulting to anyone who knows anything about the subject impression of an autistic savant.

Results come in, and 8 of the 19 people make the "finals". I was incredibly miffed to see neither the person we came to see nor the bum made it. (In hindsight, I am not at all surprised, as the person we came to see had to go first out of all 19 the day we saw here, and the bum had to go first the day before in the first set of presentations. A note to everyone in high school who ever eters a subjectively judged contest: if you have to go first in the order, don't even compete. You WILL NOT make the next round no matter how good you do. Your scores will be AT LEAST 10-20% worse than they would have been had you gone near the middle of the order.)

So out of curiousity I went to see who exactly DID make it ou of the group we watched: One of the decently good people AND THE PERSON WHO MADE FUN OF SAVANTS.

NO REALLY IGNORANT SOCIETY

So let's have a recap of her performance:

The point of the dramatic interpretation event is to take a passage and recite it as the person who wrote it or the character who said it would have. She chose to do a passage by Daniel Tammet. Daniel Tammet's abilities (including reciting pi to a wuarter million digits) are partly due to savantism, but more due to him being synaesthetic and seeing numbers as vivid, unique shapes. The girl's interpretation of this man was a horrible, insulting character very similar to Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man, except more debilitating and stereotypically ignorant and with a voice very close to Steve Urkel.

Daniel Tammet's voice was NOT THAT BAD. Strike 1.

The girl repeated what she said and stuttered thoughout the whole thing and often just starting screaming numbers out of nowhere because autistic people just DO INCREDIBLY ZANY UNPREDICTABLE THINGS AMIRITE GUYZ?!!?!?!? Note to ignorant populace: an autistic person who is that impaired will not speak. At all. Or, at most, in spurts of 2 or 3 words at a time, certainly not in complete sentences with flowery language in between. Tammet was certainly not this impaired in speech, at all. Strike 2.

Her eye contact with the crowd was nearly flawless. This is great in speech contests. EXCEPT THAT AUTISTIC SAVANTS GO WELL OUT OF THEIR WAY TO AVOID EYE CONTACT. Strike 3.

Then when she tried to reinact Tammet meeting his life partner (he's gay btw) she just sort of very gradually became "normal". Now, the end result was closer to how Tammet actually acts, but I thought she was breaking out of character and it was horribly done and outright confusing. Strike 4.

And yet, despite this incredibly flawed, horrifically inaccurate performance, she managed the best score in the heat. I'm more autistic (as in: have an extremely strong suspicion that I have Asperger's) than she ever will be. I cringed. My girlfriend, who is taking a class in autism and actually working with a genuinely impaired 17 year old, cringed more. Of course, the judges ate it up because it was soooooo over the top and savants are just useless people who deserve to be made fun of.

The other person who made it was more accurate... but also based her performance around an extremely disabled person, one with a disfigured face, a hunchback, no right hand, and extremely slurred speech. The moral of this story: making fun of disabled people = good drama, and talent simply cannot overcome that multi-millionaire who makes a nice bribe grant to the speech organizations in Illinois in the name of a high school. Seriously, watching the person we went to see cry for a half hour because such undeserving performances just... ugh.

In conclusion: Screw talent, if you want to go far in life, make connections and play to everyone else's unfounded predjudices. It'll take you a lot farther than wasting your time making yourself a better person.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 05:26:28 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #4123 on: February 18, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
In conclusion: Screw talent, if you want to go far in life, make connections and play to everyone else's unfounded predjudices. It'll take you a lot farther than wasting your time making yourself a better person.
Yep, Pretty Much. Art is dead.

Heck, If I was at that thing, I definitely would not have liked it. Truth be told, I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndome also, which sucks, because now everyone is being prejudice to me and also are blaming every little impulsive action to the syndrome, but now it rocks because I get to be ignored by the [darn] bullies in school.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4124 on: February 18, 2008, 06:33:55 PM »
She's entitled to hate the Wii if she wants to. But, I have a feeling that you only hate the Wii because you can't pay for/find one, correct, N64 Chick?

I hate the Wii because it has already claimed not one but two of my friends. Oh sure, my boyfriend takes me to his house every so often. But why? All he really does is play Super Paper Mario in a very obvious attempt to be a show-off. He forces me to spend the night there so he can grab those the next morning. The sick little...

As for this new case, my friend is completely ignoring me. All means of contacting her (AIM, e-mail, etc...) have had no effect and she even took me off her LiveJournal friends list. As far as I'm concerned, she's now attacking me behind my back. All because of that stupid guy and his equally annoying machine!

And for those of you that didn't know already, getting a Wii myself is out of the question. I live out in the country, can't drive, and there's no jobs within walking distance.

Print