Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711625 times)

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #4125 on: February 18, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »
I really don't understand people's fascination with the Wii. It's just a slightly faster Gamecube with a fancy carpal-tunnel inducing controller. What's the big deal?
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #4126 on: February 18, 2008, 08:07:53 PM »
You forgot to mention the library of classic games, the library of awesome current games, and the promising future of games.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #4127 on: February 18, 2008, 08:08:08 PM »
I really don't understand people's fascination with the Wii. It's just a slightly faster Gamecube with a fancy carpal-tunnel inducing controller. What's the big deal?
the big deal(s) are:
  • next-gen graphics
  • new features
  • update feature
  • motion control

any that i'm missing?
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #4128 on: February 18, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »
  • next-gen graphics <--Yeah, right.
  • new features        <--Such as?
  • update feature      <--what
  • motion control      <--totally overrated

You forgot to mention the library of classic games,
Yeah, because I really need to rebuy games I already have.

the library of awesome current games,
Yay for shovelware mini-games!

and the promising future of games.
We can only hope...
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #4129 on: February 18, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »
I like the Wii because it can provide as much entertainment as I need, whether it be 5-10 minutes with Wii Sports or the Internet Channel, or hours with games like Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Corruption.

I REALLY don't understand all the hate for the console.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #4130 on: February 18, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »
Oh no! If goodie joins up with ShadowBrian, Bird Person is DOOMED!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #4131 on: February 18, 2008, 08:50:21 PM »
Yeah, because I really need to rebuy games I already have.
You already own all 203 Virtual Games that have been released so far, as well as all 648 Gamecube games?

Yay for shovelware mini-games!
Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, etc. are all short crappy games intended as fillers?

We can only hope...
As pessimistic as I am I'm sure Brawl won't really suck. Same with Mario Kart Wii and plenty other games yet to be released

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #4132 on: February 18, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
  • next-gen graphics <--Yeah, right.
  • new features        <--Such as?
  • update feature      <--what
  • motion control      <--totally overrated

Wii =
  • mostly better graphics (depends on game)
  • the new features are: Virtual Console, Internet, Miis, Message Board, Nintendo e-mails (giving update info) etc.
  • you can update your Wii if you have an internet connection
  • most motion control isn't bad, unless your oe of those lazy people who don't like to move while playing games
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4133 on: February 18, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »
I'm truly amazed at how people either a) have no idea what's going on/what they're talking about or b) have no clue how to make themselves understood.

My addition to this discussion: If you think motion control is "overrated" you're severely misinformed and haven't played any games. Not that it's better than traditional control schemes, but it's a heck of a lot of fun and worth owning the system for the possibilities. Also, it's worth owning for all the good games it has that aren't on other systems. There isn't a "big deal" and your intentionally ignorant comments aren't helping you insult the system, they're just making you look stupid. Also, I can't repeat this enough to N64 Chick it seems, but the Wii didn't do any of it. It's all the people's fault. Blaming an inanimate object for things is stupid. This is not me being like "OMG don't haet on wii" either.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4134 on: February 18, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »
I hardly play my Wii, as most of my gaming time currently is spent in Melee. I enjoyed every Wii game I bought, though.

I'm very confused as to why there's so much current-gen Nintendo hate here (I understand your complaint, N64 Chick, but that's vastly different from the hate it usually gets).

• Mario's been swamped with spin-offs for years. It's nothing new, nothing that hasn't been complained about before. It's not the Wii's fault.
  • The NES was basically a home arcade with a handful of adventure games, many of which didn't allow saving and thus weren't too long. Not like those games don't get ports and remakes every year anyway. I think the retro approach is getting old, personally. Galaxy mixed retro and new for a good balance of "Hey, that's from Mario World!!" and "Oh, how clever." Like Superstar Saga.
  • Nintendo's new goal is to interest non-gamers and make the industry even more popular, which calls for a change of their outward image. If you don't like that, go play a PlayStation 3. No one's stopping you.
  • We hardcore gamers should still be satisfied with what we're getting: The Mario game (better than Sunshine by light years), the Zelda game (and another on its way, I hear), a Metroid Prime (still haven't beaten the first one), the Mario RPG (not the best, but it was still good), the new online Mario Kart (too easy for beginners? Don't play with beginners), the biggest Super Smash Bros. so far, et cetera...
  • I agree that motion control is overrated, but in Galaxy/Twilight Princess you hardly think much of it at all. In Brawl, everyone is going to use the GameCube controller. We all know that. On the other hand, I believe pointer control is underrated. I very much prefer the arrow aiming of Twilight Princess to that of Ocarina of Time.
  • I really don't understand people's fascination with the Wii. It's just a slightly faster Gamecube with a fancy carpal-tunnel inducing controller. What's the big deal?
    ...Are you saying Nintendo should have just kept making GameCube games? And how brilliant that would have been. Or, are you saying that they should have done what Sony and Microsoft did: Nothing new, just made a system capable of more advanced graphics? And how brilliant that would have been.

So... might I get a loud and clear, non-subtle, detailed, and irrefutably reasonable opinion on why the Wii is so terrible? Because it seems like just one of those things... gotta complain about SOMETHING...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:55:45 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4135 on: February 18, 2008, 10:02:31 PM »
Also, I can't repeat this enough to N64 Chick it seems, but the Wii didn't do any of it. It's all the people's fault. Blaming an inanimate object for things is stupid. This is not me being like "OMG don't haet on wii" either.

So what are you trying to say? That it's merely a coincidence that David and Gwen (Screw this. I'm not calling them friends anymore.) suddenly became stupid when they came into contact with a Wii or something?

You know, I never had this problem with the Cube even though it took me a couple of years to get one.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4136 on: February 18, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »
So what you're saying is that a popular game console puts people under a magic spell that forces them to be mean to you?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4137 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:23 PM »
Oh no! If goodie joins up with ShadowBrian, Bird Person is DOOMED!
Teehee... Saw that coming a mile away. And stop calling me Brian, already!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4138 on: February 18, 2008, 10:55:42 PM »
  • The NES was basically a home arcade with a handful of adventure games, many of which didn't allow saving and thus weren't too long. Not like those games don't get ports and remakes every year anyway. I think the retro approach is getting old, personally. Galaxy mixed retro and new for a good balance of "Hey, that's from Mario World!!" and "Oh, how clever." Like Superstar Saga.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person who already thought of that. As somebody who's always obsessed over every little reference to a previous game or obscure detail, it actually kinda bothered me how after years of being mocked for retaining such knowledge and appreciation that it suddenly became cool to appreciate retroness. Keep in mind I don't hold that against anybody here; rather, I'm pointing out that it created imbeciles out there who blindly follow the "if it's retro, it's better than anything" rule and don't really give Nintendo's entire historical spectrum enough credit. They probably don't even play the games they've suddenly grown to appreciate so fanatically, either.

• Nintendo's new goal is to interest non-gamers and make the industry even more popular, which calls for a change of their outward image. If you don't like that, go play a PlayStation 3. No one's stopping you.

Unfortunately, this harkens up to what I said before. Being a guy who gets into the video game industry beyond just being games (to the point of never being biased towards a system and respecting why games are popular except when certain people like the ones I mentioned above idiotically obsess over them), I kinda wish I could share Nintendo's rich history with the average person. There's a lot of potential to be had there, you know. I know Nintendo's current "more game than video" method is working wonders for them, but it makes me sad to see that a lot of their lesser franchises are losing their pedestals, and even the bigger ones are mere shells of what they used to be in the long run.

« Reply #4139 on: February 18, 2008, 11:07:18 PM »
I find it kinda funny/sad that the only games mentioned by Bird Person that are supposedly for "Hard-core" gamers are franchises.

The Wii is a great system, I think.  The problem lies in the fact that people are pushing so many horrible titles to it that many games are just going to be ignored unless Mario is plastered on the cover, even if they're fantastic.

Don't get angry at it for interfering with your social life.  It's a box with chips inside.  It entertains.  My suggestion?  Get rid of friends, get a new box with chips inside.  Then there is no social life to interfere in.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Print