Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711622 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4320 on: April 02, 2008, 05:37:20 AM »
Global warming doesn't mean it's all sweltering, all the time. It means weather slowly becomes gradually warmer as time goes on. Where I live, it snowed exactly once last winter, and it was a small amount. Consequently, it felt exactly like fall the whole time.
Yeah, last I looked out the window, it's snowing here (Washington). But global warming actually is supposed to cause rising temperatures, then a sharp drop, so the cold may or may not be justified as air currents or whatever fluctuate (that's why I kind of didn't like The Day After Tomorrow--it made a mockery of the global warming issue. Now, I know that the whole thing was like that because it makes a good action flick, but I just hope everyone knows that it doesn't really happen that fast).

Isn't there evidence to support global warming? If there is, I highly doubt there's an eminent and impending doom looming over us as we speak like Al Gore says. Nevertheless, going green couldn't really hurt us that bad, could it? It'd at least make the air cleaner.
My standard points about global warming:

1) Being environmentally aware shouldn't be called "going green". It doesn't need to be called anything because this shouldn't be a movement--this should be what we automatically do. It's like if we lived in one of those old societies where no one bathed, and people were always smirking at all those guys washing their hands/showering for "going clean" all of a sudden.

2)Why would global warming be an elaborate hoax? What's to gain from lying that the world is headed towards turmoil and we need to be nicer to the environment? Now as for lying that there is no global warming... well, let's just say that has a few perks.

3)I have a hard time listening to the whole, "oh, it's just a natural process argument". Yes, I can see that, but let's not forget that the last Ice Age was probably caused when that Vatican City-sized meteorite slammed into Mexico and basically took out the sky for a year or two. Besides, if you pump tank after tank of the gaseous remains of Styrofoam, oil, and every chemical under the sun that humans have been producing for more than a century, you're telling me that nothing will happen? (Not "you", specifically... you know what I mean)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4321 on: April 02, 2008, 09:28:31 AM »
Your point #2 makes no sense. Al Gore made money from his movie. Now tell me how someone would make money (or gain... whatever) by saying it isn't happening.
Never heard that about the last ice age, and that wasn't really my point either. I was talking about people.
We should absolutely do whatever we can to maintain/improve the environment. That wasn't my point either. Lots of stuff is happening that needs to be fixed, like the blob of plastic soup in the ocean, but global warming doesn't seem the most convincing and least hypothetical at this point.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:30:02 AM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4322 on: April 02, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »
Your point #2 makes no sense. Al Gore made money from his movie.

Well, duh. But that wasn't the purpose. If I made a cancer awareness documentary and released it to theatres, do you think my primary concern would be making money? Also, You can gain a whole lot from lying about global warming, especially if you're a major oil company. At the risk of sounding like a MGS2 plot point, oil companies can easily buy the support of respected scienctists or other public figures, as well as newspapers and magazines, to bend public opinion to the idea that global warming is "just a theory" (much like evolution or gravity). Why? So they can make more money from the fossil fuel industry.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4323 on: April 02, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »
^ Exactly.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4324 on: April 02, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
Well yes Glorb, I do. Because everyone knows about cancer.
I understand your hypothetical situation, though.
That was a joke.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #4325 on: April 03, 2008, 10:52:47 PM »
You still are getting snow? I'd hate to live there.

Yeah, the weather is exactly as portrayed on Rocky and Bullwinkle.  The snow melted in three days.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #4326 on: April 11, 2008, 06:00:24 PM »
Chup, watch The 11th Hour, and then tell me global warming is a myth.

Stop trying to comfort yourself.
"it's always the present"

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #4327 on: April 11, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
Just because a movie says something, doesn't make it true.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #4328 on: April 11, 2008, 06:20:51 PM »
Have you seen The 11th Hour, goodie?

« Reply #4329 on: April 11, 2008, 06:44:27 PM »
Chup, watch The 11th Hour, and then tell me global warming is a myth.

Stop trying to comfort yourself.

Hmm...now where have I seen this before?

I HATE it when people present their opinions as facts. It annoys the crap out of me.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #4330 on: April 11, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »
If I said I was misunderstood, would you call me liar?

If I said "I HATE it when people present their false opinions as facts. It annoys the crap out of me." would that be better?

You know what I don't like about these forums? Everybody has to be all nice and polite. It's impossible to have a real argument.

(Alternate text: I take it back.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:26:13 PM by Shyguy92 »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4331 on: April 11, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »
There's no such thing as a false opinion. Opinions can't be true or false. That's what separates them from facts.

And as global warming is such a controversial topic with neither conclusive side deemed factual, one's beliefs about it could be called opinions. Chupperson's right--the overall climate of the Earth does rise and fall and rise again. Gore is right too--the temperature hasn't experienced a fall in a long time. I personally don't care, and think that people should clean up their crap and be more environment-friendly while also not caring about global warming/cooling. If it turns out that global warming is not our fault after all, we still won't be sorry to have not polluted, but if it turns out that it is, then it'll be solved.

Where I live, pollution is horrible and it feels to me that summers keep getting hotter and winters keep getting colder. Don't know what to make of that.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4332 on: April 11, 2008, 07:46:29 PM »
Comfort myself? More like not get worked up over an unproven theory.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #4333 on: April 11, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
Global warming is just God giving the Earth a bear hug.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #4334 on: April 11, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »
The Earth getting colder/hotter isn't really the main problem, it's more how the ecosystems of the Earth are being wiped out because of it.

The "opinion" is, that everything* should be much more environmentally friendly. It is very easy to do this, and YOU SHOULD BE DOING IT RIGHT NOW. That's why It's not really an urgent issue, because it's so easy. The thing is though, that there are all you who insist that it's some kind of money making scam, or some huge lie. And then there are some people who are just *******s. This is the US** government***. They started a freaking war for oil. They are the main problem.

*cars, buildings, energy, etc. etc. etc.

**which, by the way, is the country with the most C02 emissions

***the bush administration, specifically
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:43:38 PM by Shyguy92 »

Print