Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711617 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4635 on: July 08, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »
Using her infrared sensors and battery power, the EMA enters into a sort of “love mode” and will pucker up to kiss any nearby human heads. She can also walk and dance when in the presence of another human being.

Describes a former girlfriend of mine quite accurately.
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #4636 on: July 08, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »
Unless, of course, you're robosexual. Then there's a problem.
The first thing I thought of when I read that was that TV show called "My Life As A Teenage Robot". Is there something wrong with me?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4637 on: July 09, 2008, 02:24:24 AM »
I have ANGST because the only real problem I ever had with XP -- the computer downloading updates and automatically rebooting if I don't get to it in time to stop it, while I have unsaved files open -- has clearly not improved one bit with my new Vista computer. Stupid freaking Microsoft. But what gives me even more angst is that I can't find anyone else on the internet complaining about it. I mean, seriously, am I the only person in the world who leaves the computer on for more than ten minutes at a time when I'm not sitting in front of it?

I don't want to turn off automatic updates. I like the convenience of the computer downloading its own updates. I just want it to let me reboot when I dang well want to.

This might be even more annoying than how YouTube videos automatically play, so if I want to open several at a time and let them load in the background while I look at other stuff, I have to go to all the tabs, wait until it's loaded at least one second, and manually pause them. And it's even more annoying now that they've removed the "stop and return to beginning" button. And I also miss the "view in original size" button. I mean seriously, what kind of update is this? They remove half the functionality and I still can't move the scrubber less than ten seconds at a time, and the only benefit is that a handful of randomly selected videos can have 10% more resolution and take twice as long to load. And the original angst is compounded by that time I found a guy who sounded like he had a solution. It was a script that stops them from loading. That doesn't do me any good. I don't have a 8 gigabit per millisecond connection here. Videos take a while to load. I want to open them in tabs in the background, let them load while I read stuff, and then come over to them a while later and watch them all. Hasn't anyone out there written a Greasemonkey script that automatically pauses them? I wish I knew the first thing about coding stuff, because then I'd make it myself.

Coincidentally, I have angst because so many companies think using YouTube is too unprofessional, and have to embed their videos on their sites with their own proprietary, much slower stuff. Especially the ones that don't let you load the whole video, but instead only give you two seconds at a time and expect you to stream the whole thing in real time.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4638 on: July 09, 2008, 03:08:58 AM »
Well, you can tell Vista to download updates but not install them (which should lead to no restart until you want it to, though admittedly quite a bit later and after they've installed) by going to the Windows Update screen (which should be found just above Accessories if you have the new-style Start Menu enabled), clicking on "Change Settings" on the left hand side, and select the second option down. I'm thinking it should work for all versions, though I use Ultimate so I'm just basing it off that.

I can sympathise with your Youtube Angst, though.

Also; I have ANGST because I can't seem to get the perfect balance on my 98 install between using as much RAM as I can (1536mb) and being able to use real-mode DOS in my installation without it telling me there's not enough memory. I just need to edit some stuff the right way... but I have no idea what that right way would be. xP
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4639 on: July 09, 2008, 09:05:43 AM »
Argh, yes, those slow, slow videos!

I don't necessarily have angst over this, but I don't understand my custom title.  I thought maybe it was a reference to the Scarlet Letter or something.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #4640 on: July 09, 2008, 11:53:02 PM »
I have angst whenever I hear someone call Master Chief "Halo". And I don't even like Master Chief!
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

CrossEyed7

« Reply #4641 on: July 09, 2008, 11:59:51 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4642 on: July 10, 2008, 08:45:09 AM »
That last post warped me to the Pointless Topic for a minute there.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4643 on: July 10, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »
But it reminds me: they shouldn't have discontinued Keroppi.  He was the coolest Sanrio character... and Pochacco, he/she was alright...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #4644 on: July 10, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
Image of the Year. Definitely.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4645 on: July 10, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »
Ugh. I applied for SSI a few weeks ago. Got the results yesterday. Denied.

Also, I was playing Pokémon Emerald today and saw a shiny Hoothoot. It ran away. Friggin' Safari Zone...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4646 on: July 10, 2008, 05:20:12 PM »
Image of the Year. Definitely.

It's disqualified for being really old and unfunny.
every

« Reply #4647 on: July 10, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
Yeah, I've seen that image before too.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #4648 on: July 12, 2008, 10:57:15 PM »
Anyway, I have angst now because it's always cloudy when I try to do Wii Fit. Every stinking time. Which is a problem because we have satellite TV, which doesn't play nicely with clouds, meaning Free Step gets really boring, with nothing to watch. I want my Family Matters!

« Reply #4649 on: July 14, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
I have angst whenever I hear someone call Master Chief "Halo".

Me too.. and calling Samus "Metroid", and Link "Zelda", and Mario "Mario".

Come to think of it, Nintendo should just call every new Mario game Super Mario Bros, because people call the newest Mario game on any system that anyway..

Have you played SMB on the Wii?

Remember the Snes one?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print