Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711597 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #6210 on: November 26, 2009, 05:27:08 PM »
Sounds like this recent discussion that sprung up should have a topic created for it away from the dinner table.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #6211 on: November 26, 2009, 06:55:20 PM »
Looking through a person's history searching for a comment made three years ago: not creepy.

Actually, I stumbled across it accidentally by clicking this thread's title instead of the "new replies" button, bringing me to the first page where your comment was. Just clearing that up.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6212 on: November 26, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »
I decided to not make myself angry and avoided figuring out what Tk was referring to in the first place.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6213 on: November 28, 2009, 01:04:10 AM »
Stupid girls laughing and talking loudly through the sermon. Freaking disrespectful.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6214 on: November 29, 2009, 08:45:49 AM »
I'm not religious, but I definitely hate it when people are blatantly rude like that.

This is kind of petty, but I finally watched G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra yesterday night and... well, that's 117 minutes of my life I'd like back. I actually have a moderate interest in seeing 2012 and/or Transformers 2 now, if only because I also have a hard time believing at least one of those movies could be as dumb as this one. Now, was it a summer flick technically based on a line of action figures? Yes, but nevertheless, plot holes were rampant, Stephen Sommers' (or whoever's) recycling of a considerable number of cast members from The Mummy series (the Brendan Fraser cameo actually bordered on annoying) was distracting at best, and I think more fridges were nuked than if Fat Man had been dropped on a Kenmore production plant (I don't care if it's "the not too distant future", it's gonna be a while before you can literally watch a guy's memories by shanking his brain). The flashbacks and zoom-ins, as well the Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes backstory, were corny and poorly handled and, as usual, the ending doesn't even try to hide the fact that a sequel's on the way. About the only thing that saved this one were the Accelerator suits and Sienna Miller doing a feature-length Bayonetta impersonation (still, I like cleavage as much as the next 18-year-old nerd, but in the Arctic? It's PG-13; as long as Marlon Wayans is onboard, the least we could've got was a stiff nipple joke).

Here's the thing, though: I don't really know anything about the G.I. Joe... canon? Mythos? In any case, I understand the screenplay was obviously based on the comic books/TV show(s?), but the point is: Does anybody here know enough about whatever phase of the G.I. Joe's 45+ years existence the movie captures that they enjoyed it more than I? Personally, like Star Trek, I'm inclined to think this was a modernized interpretation of the source material for "movie fans", not necessarily longstanding devotees.

« Reply #6215 on: November 29, 2009, 11:11:35 AM »
I actually have a moderate interest in seeing 2012 and/or Transformers 2 now, if only because I also have a hard time believing at least one of those movies could be as dumb as this one.

No. Don't waste your money on two [dukar]ty movies that don't deserve it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #6216 on: November 29, 2009, 02:11:47 PM »
That especially applies to 2012. Even watching it for curiosity's sake is buying into the transient hysteria that contemporary media has embraced at the cost of timelessness and artistic credibility.

Simply put, the even if you don't believe in it, the "2012 phenomenon" is another fleeting cultural meme which will be viewed the same way in five years as Y2K is today.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6217 on: November 29, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »
Took the words right out of my mouth, Weegee.

« Reply #6218 on: November 29, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »
And Transformers 2 is just stupid. Michael Bay can't make a good movie for beans. And now he's got a hold of A Nightmare on Elm Street...

At least he's not directing it this time.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #6219 on: November 29, 2009, 08:40:21 PM »
Even though the Mayans predicted it blah blah blah blah....

...no one freaked out at all on 6.6.06.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #6220 on: November 29, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »
First, there was an actual reason to expect trouble on Y2K (computers).

Second, boycotting the movie 2012 because it's "buying into hysteria" is stupid. The movie is pure fiction and IIRC doesn't even mention Mayans or predictions of any sort, except for the movie poster. Roland Emmerich just loves making movies about the world getting destroyed and 2012 was as good an excuse as any.

If you want an excuse not to see 2012, just don't go because it's not a good movie. ;)  Although I did enjoy one twenty-minute segment that broke through the cynic barrier with pure retarded awesomeness and looped back to cool.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6221 on: November 29, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »
Not that I held much stock in Y2K/hold any in "2012", but "actual reason" is unfortunately an opinion. Also, what's the stupid/cool moment?

...no one freaked out at all on 6.6.06.
No, some people did--they were just criminally retarded.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6222 on: November 29, 2009, 11:17:01 PM »
The main reason nothing happened on Y2K is because we got so freaked out about it and tried to fix it, and we actually did. It was never going to be as ridiculous as some people made it out to be, but it would have been at least moderately annoying if we hadn't done anything. Also, it ended up helping us recover from 9/11 faster than we would have otherwise.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #6223 on: November 30, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »
To stray a bit from the apocalypse topic and to angst, my girlfriend was literally asked by my school's administration if she has soap, shampoo or deodorant. You can guess how that makes me feel.

« Reply #6224 on: November 30, 2009, 03:32:58 PM »
Man, that stinks.

But yeah, saying something like that up-front is pretty insulting and uncalled for.

Print