Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1711447 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7335 on: May 07, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
I mean, is she seriously trying to argue that unicorns are a symbol of patriarchal oppression? Seriously?

...Seriously?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7336 on: May 07, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
Looking for racist/sexist/whateverist subtext in cartoons is LOL

I know right? I think it's absurd that people get offended by cartoons.

I mean, is she seriously trying to argue that unicorns are a symbol of patriarchal oppression? Seriously?

...Seriously?

Some people will look for a reason to complain about anything. I'm for equality as much as the next person, but this is just stupid.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7337 on: May 07, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2010/12/09/my-little-homophobic-racist-smarts-shaming-pony/

This person is a ****. Yeah I said it. I'm pretty ****ing ****ed after reading this thing. Way to take a god[darn] cartoon far too seriously. At least the commenters have some sense because they all think she's an idiot.

This just can't be how other liberals comport themselves.
How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Feminists can't change anything!

/potentiallyoffensivehumour

CrossEyed7

« Reply #7338 on: May 07, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
I mean, she complains that there's no black ponies, but the only reason she thinks there's no black ponies is because none of the ponies have any identifiable racial characteristics, and to her, white = normal. She'd respond that it's not her equating whiteness with normality, she's just pointing out that the racists running the show equate whiteness with normality. But she has no evidence for that.

She already knows that the show is made by a bunch of racist sexist homophobic chauvinist men, so she looks for a racist sexist homophobic chauvinist interpretation of everything she sees in it, and then acts shocked at all the racism, sexism, homophobia, and chauvinism that she sees, which then serves as more evidence in her head that all media is made by racist sexist homophobic chauvinist men. All of which serves only to undermine serious efforts at rectifying racism, sexism, homophobia, and chauvinism.

If she had actually watched the show rather than just looking at a picture of it, she'd see that it's by far the least sexist show ever made for girls. And it was made by a woman.

And anyway, there's a black pony in episode 9.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7339 on: May 07, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
Absolutely brilliant piece of satire.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7340 on: May 07, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »
I like how you think it's satire and that people can't just be that insane.

I think it's absurd that people get offended by cartoons.
Uh?

I can understand that sentiment for things like this, but we shouldn't pretend things that are blatantly offensive aren't because of their medium.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7341 on: May 07, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
I have no motivation to do anything.  All I do anymore is wander aimlessly around the Internet clicking links to sites I've been to a dozen times already that day.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7342 on: May 07, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »
I like how you think it's satire and that people can't just be that insane

More speaking in hope, than anything. Makes some of the more extreme stubborn teachers at my Catholic high school look like reasonable-minded and good people.

That said, I think it's hilarious that Portal 2 is a "homo-gay invention" when Portal 1 was called "the female version of an FPS". lol Valve.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #7343 on: May 07, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »
I can understand that sentiment for things like this, but we shouldn't pretend things that are blatantly offensive aren't because of their medium.

Alrighty, point taken.

I have no motivation to do anything.  All I do anymore is wander aimlessly around the Internet clicking links to sites I've been to a dozen times already that day.

Huh. Sounds like me.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7344 on: May 09, 2011, 01:15:25 AM »
Had a good friend die today.

I've had 6 [darn] people I grew up with die over the past 3 years. It's insane.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7345 on: May 09, 2011, 06:45:09 AM »
Condolences...
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #7346 on: May 09, 2011, 06:50:42 AM »
*hugs*

« Reply #7347 on: May 09, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »
Sorry to hear that...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #7348 on: May 09, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »
*also hugs*
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7349 on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:03 PM »
My piano recital is later today, and although I know my piece inside and out, I'm undoubtedly going to get nervous and botch the whole thing beyond repair.  I hate my nerves.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print