Print

Author Topic: SSBB: Petey Piranha officially announced  (Read 16441 times)

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »
Toad will not be in it, based on the image of Peach using a Mushroom Retainer/Toad as a shield once again in this fight. Thought I wouldn't Toad being playable.
Toad isn't the only Toad in the Mario Universe, though.
We have a secret page!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 05:20:13 PM »
Ugh...I am getting tired of seeing that monstrosity called Petey. Seriously.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Except here they managed to make him look awesomer than usual and he isn't playable.

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 05:44:50 PM »
I'm gonna save anyone.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 06:18:52 PM »
Wow. That's a rather selfless statement. You've inspired me to go save people.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 03:57:15 PM »
Toad isn't the only Toad in the Mario Universe, though.

There is only one Toad of importance, and his name is Toad. They should have stuck with calling the rest of them Mushroom People, and the ones that work for Peach the Retainers.

How come nobody gets this confused when talking about Yoshi or Pikachu? There is totally more than one of both of them, yet people constantly say things like Toad is too generic.

I am getting kind of sick of it, personally. He's got as much chance at being playable than anybody else.

Possibly even moreso, since the SSB series is supposed to be about classic characters beating up other classic characters, and Toad is about as classic as they come in the Mario series: he's been there from the start!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »
He wasn't in Donkey Kong.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »
I'm sorry to bring this to light, but... If you notice, in Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Sunshine, Toad does not appear. Instead, Toads do. And, these ordinary ones wear vests that match the spots on their heads. THE Toad always has a blue vest and red spots (except SMB2, but that's because... you know.). Contradictions to this idea are Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario and others...
Yeah, so, Toad isn't in many non-spin-off games as an individual... Yoshi is in the same situation. He's always there for spin-offs, rarely in real games, but you can't really tell the difference between him and another green Yoshi. Super Mario 64 DS is a rarity for this.
Toad's arguments are all valid (though there's not really a specific Pikachu of note, unless you count Yellow version, as I don't accept the anime to pertain to the games. But if that were the case he'd be under the control of Red, right?). But... it just wouldn't fit. If the Toad Peach uses as a shield had a matching vest and head to make him seem more like a Toad rather than Toad, it'd work... Super Paper Mario is Toad's most recent non-spin-off appearance, at the game's opening. Luigi addresses him as such, doesn't he? Maybe all he needs is more dialogue and recognition in games, a more distinct personality... more to distinguish himself from that Toad over there. I think making the matching vest thing more consistent would be the easiest way.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 05:53:26 PM »
I realise he wasn't present in Donkey Kong, SMB , or SMS. It seems to me that in most of the recent games, they are trying to pass off the red Retainer as Toad.

I guess saying that the PM series doesn't have THE Toad is kind of right (even though most of them in the first game have his coloring about them). You're right, Luigi does address Toad at the beginning of SPM. It seems Nintendo likes to put Toad at the beginning of the Mario RPG's.

I would really love it if they somehow tried to make Toad more distinguishable from the others. They've got a great character here, with lots of potential, and they are just letting him rot while the like of Petey and Bowser Jr are taking the big roles (though, since both of them are bad guys, I don't see how Toad could become evil..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print