Print

Author Topic: Colors that remind you of...  (Read 8906 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
Do you ever see a certain color and instantly think of something? 

I just looked at http://1saleaday.com/ and was reminded of the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD cover: 

https://www.google.com/search?num=10&tbm=isch&q=dire+straits+album+cover+brothers+in+arms&biw=1280&bih=631

Have you had a similar experience? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
Nope!

But in the interest of actually contributing to discussion, there are probably certain shades of green that will always remind me of the Legend of Zelda.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »
Maroon kind of reminds me of the years back when I tried to dye my hair red; in a weird kind of twist, I was playing soccer for the YMCA back then, and my hair turned out the same color as our jerseys.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
I can't see red, white, blue, and yellow/gold without thinking of staples from my life: the American flag, Superman, vehicles that my family (immediate family and the ones my wife and I have owned) that are in those colors, Super Mario Brothers, etc..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
Any combination of black and yellow, like in the following image:

...always makes me think of Trini:
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:45 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
Don't really know what to say here.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
Then uh....why'd you post?

I tend to associate colors with months of the year, and I think it might be the result of those kiddie calendars on the wall in Pre-K and Kintergarden.

January = Silver
February = Pink
March = Green
April = Red
May = Light Pink
June = Dark Red
July = Dark Green
August = Light Orange
September = Goldenrod
October = Orange
November = Light Brown
December = Blue

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
Don't really know what to say here.

The color brown reminds me of this post.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »
June is dark red??  I would have guessed something more reminiscent of summer.

I see numerical digits as certain colors.
1 = red
2 = blue
3 = yellow
4 = orange
5 = green
6 = yellow
7 = pink
8 = black
9 = purple
0 = black

As a result, the number 23 reminds me of electricity (electric blue and yellow).
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »
I used to give personalities to numbers. 6 was a teenage girl, 7 was usually her older sister, 5 was her father, 8 and 9 were evil, and 1, 2, 3, and 4 were kinda stupid.

I read a short story once, probably by Bruce Coville, where this kid gave them completely different personalities than me. 5 was super evil and 7 was the heroic knight, and one night his mom left him alone at 5:50 and the 5s were all coming to get him, and he closed his eyes and thought of 7, but then the 7 rotated and became a V, so it was a five too. Finally at 5:55, as one of the 5s was about to eat him with its razor-sharp teeth, he stood between the 5 and his clock, and used his arm to make a plus sign, which made it 6:00 (6 was an okay guy, though not as good as 7), and then his mom got back and was surprised that she had been gone five minutes longer than she thought she had. It was a little hard to get into the story since the personalities were all wrong.

Slightly less off-topic, I've always thought of yellow as a vowel.

I also gave years colors for a while. 2000 was purple, 2001 was red, 2002 was a light tropical blue. I don't think 2003 had a color.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »
CE7's post reminded me of the Bouba Kiki Effectt. More here:  http://www.ted.com/talks/james_geary_metaphorically_speaking.html

Also, do you have synesthesia or even the specific, grapheme?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
I tend to organize a lot of tasks by color mentally without really recognizing it.  Always feels really stupid when all I can remember is something to the effect of "dangit, I needed to do something... yellow, I think?"  I used to associate numbers with colors as well, actually, pretty similarly to Markio.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »
I just saw one of these in our pantry

And had an instant thought of and craving for

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
Hershey actually trademarked that shade of orange, and briefly tried to sue Mars two years ago for using [a completely different shade of] orange on peanut butter Dove packaging.

They claimed that this would "confuse consumers".

[Link 1] [Link 2] [Link 3]

The "confusing" argument is definitely complete crap and completely fails the moron in a hurry test, but clearly there is something to that shade of orange. Seeing it will instantly make most people start thinking about peanut butter cups. We had a bunch of these at the registers where I work about a month ago, and every time I looked at them I could feel peanut butter smell in my nose, despite not actually smelling them.

Do other candy manufacturers, consciously or otherwise, take advantage of that mental connection by using orange on their peanut butter packaging? And if so, is that unfair to Hershey?

(I don't have synesthesia, by the way.)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 01:25:06 AM »
Orange is probably used because it's close to the color of peanut butter and it's not brown.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
This ad on Photobucket reminded me of a Captain Falcon texture hack that was recently done for a project on the Project M boards:

If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print