Print

Author Topic: OMGlobalWarmingTFHAX  (Read 19962 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
E-mails of several "climate scientists" have been hacked to reveal some apparently shady dealings.

What's up with this?  Is there anything to it?  And why do I get the feeling that not a peep about it will be heard on the evening news? 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »
Yes, I heard about this... well, it's odd, to say the least. I mean, the only motivation I can think of to fudge the facts is to save face--what else is there to gain from falsifying this kind of information? Assuming this is even being interpreted correctly. If it is, though--but, as usual, we'll probably never know--I faintly tip my hat to those hackers.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:41:11 PM »
Yes, I heard about this... well, it's odd, to say the least. I mean, the only motivation I can think of to fudge the facts is to save face--what else is there to gain from falsifying this kind of information?

Well, you have to consider that any laws passed to "prevent" "climate change" would mean higher taxes and government restrictions.  In other words, money and power.  This whole debate is a big part of the reason I don't really care for politics and politicians.  They expect the People to live by one set of rules and themselves to live by another.

Even if Global Warming were a threat and caused by man, I don't think it's a good idea for the government to force laws and bureaucracies concerning it on people (which is the same reason I'm against government-run healthcare).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/20/climate-depot-everything_n_365754.html

Not to be mean, but that link really doesn't do anything to refute the claims and questions raised by the hacked e-mails.  It's basically just an article telling people that those who argue with climate change are dangerous idiots.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »
The extent to which this whole scandal reflects 1984 is uncanny, and thus rather unsettling: There's just one more major organization whose credibility has been tainted beyond repair, although nobody's going to do anything about it. The whole issue will be forgotten in due time, as suspending one's belief in currently-accepted scientific thought makes one a cretinous fanatic.

...If that made any sense.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »
Not to be mean, but that link really doesn't do anything to refute the claims and questions raised by the hacked e-mails.  It's basically just an article telling people that those who argue with climate change are dangerous idiots.

*sigh*

Well then if you don't mind reading the much longer version:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/11/the-cru-hack/

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
Well, you have to consider that any laws passed to "prevent" "climate change" would mean higher taxes and government restrictions.

Yeah, no [dukar]. Everything the government does requires taxes. The Iraq War, which sucked taxpayers and our federal budget dry, comes to mind. Sadly, most conservatives leave out that little tidbit when discussing Obama's policies. "OH NOES WE ARE SPENDIN' TOO MUCH MONEH!!" Give me a break. I guess it's fine when it comes to blowing [dukar] up but when it comes to health care and environmental legislation it's undoable. Also, government restrictions are needed to stop corporations from exploiting workers.

I don't want less government, I want an effective government that does its job.

It's basically just an article telling people that those who argue with climate change are dangerous idiots.

Glenn Beck is a dangerous idiot even without the climate change debate.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:45:10 PM by PaperLuigi »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
Yeah, no [dukar]. Everything the government does requires taxes. The Iraq War, which sucked taxpayers and our federal budget dry, comes to mind. Sadly, most conservatives leave out that little tidbit when discussing Obama's policies. "OH NOES WE ARE SPENDIN' TOO MUCH MONEH!!" Give me a break. I guess it's fine when it comes to blowing [dukar] up but when it comes to health care and environmental legislation it's undoable. Also, government restrictions are needed to stop corporations from exploiting workers.

I don't want less government, I want an effective government that does its job.

I don't recall ever saying that the war in Iraq was a good idea (it was not), but I do certainly recall saying (with slightly better grammar) that we are spending way too much.  We were spending too much with Bush as president, and I'm not arguing with that.  But the fact is, we're spending so much more with Obama.  What's more, the provision of a military and police force is the one thing government is supposed to be doing (and guess what areas are the first to get budget cuts?).  And it's funny that you should talk about the government preventing the exploitation of the working class, because the government is the main "corporation" that's screwing them over right now (and that's exactly what the state has become; a corporation).

I also want a government that does its job, but as I touched on before, we unfortunately disagree on what that job is.  The government's duty to protect the people from threats both foreign and domestic has been skewed so much over the years that the system the founding fathers put in place is no longer recognizable (which is also the fault of the church giving ground on its duties of caring for the poor).  It's been turned from a system of law and order that delivers justice to the people into a cranky, fat old nanny that force feeds you castor oil and dresses you up in sailor suits.  The government isn't supposed to teach [indoctrinate] your children or provide you with healthcare.  The war with Britain was started over unfair and unwanted taxes that were only a fraction of what we're seeing now.  What would the early patriots think of our government today?

EDIT:

Glenn Beck is a dangerous idiot even without the climate change debate.

He may get mean and sarcastic, but he is most certainly not dangerous or an idiot.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:59:57 PM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
Shady dealings? [wtd]? Those email excerpts contained nothing shady.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »
What's more, the provision of a military and police force is the one thing government is supposed to be doing (and guess what areas are the first to get budget cuts?).

I say let's do it. We need to cut military spending to pay for health care and the environment.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »
The government isn't supposed to teach [indoctrinate] your children or provide you with healthcare.

It is so so so easy for you to say that because you're not living in poverty without health insurance.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
So the church is supposed to indoctrinate your children?
I'd much rather be provided with the ability to make my own conclusions.
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »
I do not understand why most Christians are conservative.

Deut. 15:7: "If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks."

Jer. 22:3: "Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place."

Ezek. 16:49: "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food, and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."

Do these passages not mean anything to you? We should be happy that the government is finally creating legislation aimed at aiding the needy. It's stupid to rationalize not helping them by saying "Oh, but it's the church's job to do that!" It's everyone's job.

EDIT: Actually it's because most American Christians are more concerned with limiting the rights of homosexuals that they're conservative.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:01:53 AM by PaperLuigi »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
I say let's do it. We need to cut military spending to pay for health care and the environment.

Again, that's not the state's concern.  If the church were doing what it's supposed to, and if these "scientists" were being scientific, then there would be no need for government welfare, and no need for taxes and sanctions sending people back to the stone age (because people would realize that there is no man-made climate change).

It is so so so easy for you to say that because you're not living in poverty without health insurance.

With all due respect, you have no idea as to my quality of life.  I won't hide the fact that money is extremely tight around here, as it is with most middle class families.  Poverty?  Maybe not.  But my family certainly doesn't have the money to pay for those who won't earn their own way.

So the church is supposed to indoctrinate your children?
I'd much rather be provided with the ability to make my own conclusions.

Not the church, the parents.  They're those wonderful folks who gave birth to you and provide food and shelter to you the first 18 years of your life, and they're not supposed to send you to dayca--I mean, public school instead of taking responsiblity.  Sorry if I implied otherwise.  And I'm sorry if you honestly think the government lets any children come to their own conclusions. 

I do not understand why most Christians are conservative.

Deut. 15:7: "If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks."

Jer. 22:3: "Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place."

Ezek. 16:49: "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food, and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."

Do these passages not mean anything to you? We should be happy that the government is finally creating legislation aimed at aiding the needy. It's stupid to rationalize not helping them by saying "Oh, but it's the church's job to do that!" It's everyone's job.

EDIT: Actually it's because most American Christians are more concerned with limiting the rights of homosexuals that they're conservative.

All right, let's make this perfectly clear, right here and right now before I'm made out to be an insensitive jerk (oops, too late for that).  I do not disagree that people who can afford to do so should take care of the poor.  If you want to donate money to charity or buy a homeless person a meal, more power to you, and God Bless you for it.

What I do not agree with is the idea that the government should force a man to pay his neighbor's way.  Not only is the coercion in itself wrong, the act of providing for the less fortunate ceases to become a good deed.  I'm not rationalizing not helping the poor by saying it's the church's job, I'm saying that the church is just as guilty in this area as the government.  And no, caring for the poor is not everyone's job.  What about those who are working hard and just making ends meet (largely as the result of unnecessary taxes)?  Are you really going to tax them into the poverty you claim to hate, and make them dependent on welfare?  Charity should not be imposed, and when it is, it's not charity anyway. 

And it's funny that you quote a passage mentioning the sins and faults of Sodom, and then make a statement supporting homosexuality a few sentences later.  (And I do support gay rights, in that their preferences should not affect their being employed or their joining the military.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:23:18 AM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »
Again, that's not the state's concern.  If the church were doing what it's supposed to, and if these "scientists" were being scientific, then there would be no need for government welfare, and no need for taxes and sanctions sending people back to the stone age (because people would realize that there is no man-made climate change).

The ice caps are melting away because we're adding 4 billion tons of carbon to our atmosphere each year. Global climate change is manmade.

With all due respect, you have no idea as to my quality of life.  I won't hide the fact that money is extremely tight around here, as it is with most middle class families.  Poverty?  Maybe not.  But my family certainly doesn't have the money to pay for those who won't earn their own way.

I hate it when people use this argument. "People are in poverty so they must not be working hard enough!" You at least have health insurance, yes?

Print