Print

Author Topic: The Mystery that is Luigi... solved!  (Read 3703 times)

« on: November 22, 2001, 11:44:40 AM »
I got a GCN and Luigi's Mansion, and holy crud-on-a-stick, i am enjoying it.  For Luigi fans, you'll probably like it because it really delves into Luig's character.  He's not only cowardly, and caring for his brother, as we already knew, but he also very, VERY anal-retentive... to the EXTREME!  "Look at everything cluttered everywhere... Filthy." Here's my favorite: "So much dust.  This will never pass the white glove test."  Yessiree, Luigi's is quite the good example of mild OCD.  Anyway, I was up til 5 AM playing this game, and I loved every minute of it.  Everyone should play this thing, if only for the final battle... which I wont spoil for you. It's SO COOL!  Play it for yourself.

Opus
What'chu talkin' bout, Dextah?

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2001, 01:46:25 PM »
''So much dust. This will never pass the white glove test.'' LOL, I didn't know Luigi said stuff like that in the game.

I don't have my GameCube yet, but I keep thinking about which games I should get. Wave Race: Blue Storm and Rogue Leader were my first choices, but now Luigi's Mansion is sounding pretty good too. But then again, Smash Bros. Melee will be here before we know it, and then I'll want to get that for sure. I guess I'll know once I get the system, but I'll give Luigi's Mansion a try someday.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2001, 03:54:03 PM »
I love Luigi's Mansion!!!!! I got it the day it came out and i love it! Another thing we know about Luigi now, is that he doesn't like swords

"I don't really care for pointy objects"

I''m the leader of the Koopa Bros.We''re hip and cool and uh... we like bacon

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2001, 04:32:07 PM »
Actually, Luigi's doesn't verbally say the things, it's displayed in text messages.  But hey, it's pretty difficult to understand that exaggerated Italian accent anyway, so I don't think a Mario game w/o text messages would be too good.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2001, 06:51:55 PM »
Yes, we are quite aware taht it's text boxes. And Luigi does talk sometimes. When he talks to Toad and E.Gadds on the phone, He says "Hello" not much but still talking....plus when he screams mario all the time....i'll shut up now

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2001, 11:21:47 AM »
"But hey, it's pretty difficult to understand that exaggerated Italian accent anyway"

Uh? any example? I am curious!

It's-a penalty kick!

Cele the Ref

Cele the Ref

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2001, 07:29:37 PM »
you know, like in Mario Tennis, they talk with the broken accents.  It's really funny, but if there was an entire cinema scene with Mario and Luigi talking to each other, but no text boxes, a lot of people would misunderstand what they were saying, and that would be bad if these conversations were important to the game.  Remember back when Mario 64 came out and no one could figure out what he was saying when he entered a level?  He said, "Let's-a go!"  but people thought he said "Pickle" or something like that... It would be great to have entire scenes like this as long as there were text boxes to go along with their speech, like in Conker's BFD.  Otherwise, the Marios should stick to their speech bubbles.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2001, 07:47:46 PM »
It's not hard to understand. I can understand it fine. And it would be better if all the Mario games from now on would use voices all the time, and never text boxes. Text boxes make it seem so fake. It makes them seem more real when they talk. When they use text boxes, it's not even like their actully talking. Why must Nintendo keep torturing me with text boxes? I always thought it was because the systems didn't have the ability to, and the cartridges didn't have enough space. But the GameCube has way more than enough power to do it. And the disks hold around 1500 Megabytes(1.5gigs),the biggest N64 cartridge could only hold 64 Megabytes. Yes, the GameCube's graphics may be extreamly good and realistic, but I'm sure they don't come even close to taking up the whole disc. Nintendo has ways of cramming stuff into a small space. Take Super Mario 64, for example. It only uses less than 16 megabytes. Actually I think it was 8. If they can put all that into 8 MB, surely they can put lots of voice recordings into their GameCube games. So they have no excuse. And it would probably make them more popular too. Why? Well, look at the PlayStation *shudders*, it is one of the most popular video game systems ever made. It's hard to understand it being so popular when it was so bogus. The graphics are very very very poor and blocky. I don't think they even use anti-aliasing. Most of the games for PlayStation are boring. Plus it's only like a third as powerful as the N64. But, they use cds which can hold alot. So, they had room for lots of voices. And most of the PSX games use voices all the time.No text boxes at all. So I have concluded that that is what probably made it so popular. If Nintendo knows what's good for em. They'll use voices only, and no text boxes at all. I sure hope so anyway. Okay, I am now through with my speech.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2001, 08:07:03 PM »
And if it's to hard for people to understand what they're saying, they shouldn't use text boxes along with the speech. Unless it can be disabled. What they should do is make their games work with Closed Caption TVs for people who really want to read what the people are saying.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2001, 08:08:03 PM »
The biggest N64 carts held 256 megabytes, not 64.  Mario 64 was 96 megs.  And perhaps you can understand them, and I can understand them, and with the sound quality on the GCN being much, much better than that of the N64, it will be much easier to  understand them, but with those accents, not everybody will be able to, so subtitles should at least be included, like at the end of SM64, when Peach speaks, even when the characters are actually, verbally speaking, where you  can hear them, as I said before.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2001, 01:48:04 PM »
1) deaf gamers
2) turning off the audio to avoid annoying ppl around you (ie lil sleeping babies)
3) TV audio is not so great. also the consolle audio equipment may have problems working.
4) difficult-to-understand or foreign speech
5) speech becomes boring when repetitive

The best option is allowing to set the game on "text boxes only", "speech only" or "both"  and never making carachters give essential info when speaking.

Just my 2 eurocents

It's-a penalty kick!

Cele the Ref

Cele the Ref

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2001, 06:37:12 PM »
Luigi's Mansion wsa a great game.  I hated having to listen to the professor talk every ten minutes though and not be able to skip though it.  The final boss is amazing.  The way everything moves with the vacuum just is mind boggling because it is so real.  You can spend 5 minutes in a room just playing around with the vacuum and objects in a room.  As for the text boxes and stuff Miyamoto has said before he doesn't like his characters to talk much just you imagine what they say in reponse to what the other characters say.  They do that in this game a lot I think that is a good idea it makes you seem more part of the character.

-PCM

-----------------------------

http://nintendointense.4t.com
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2001, 07:25:37 PM »
Prezactly.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2001, 07:58:42 PM »
No, Opus, the biggest N64 game was only 64 megabytes. You're probably thinking megabits. A megabyte is made up of 8 megabits.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2001, 09:02:37 PM »
Oh, sorry about that.  Must've gotten confused.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Print