Poll

What is your favorite of the 3-D action Mario games?

Super Mario 64
9 (34.6%)
Super Mario Sunshine
1 (3.8%)
Super Mario Galaxy
15 (57.7%)
They all stink!
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Print

Author Topic: What is YOUR favorite of the trilogy?  (Read 15874 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2007, 07:13:27 PM »
No one ever said "Mario Brothers Trilogy."
Entirely different game? Yes, check out something like Strange Mario Bros. and tell me it's not entirely different from SMB, despite using the same engine.
Just because a game runs on the same engine does not mean it is the same game.
That was a joke.

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2007, 08:38:49 AM »
No one ever said "Mario Brothers Trilogy."
Entirely different game? Yes, check out something like Strange Mario Bros. and tell me it's not entirely different from SMB, despite using the same engine.
Just because a game runs on the same engine does not mean it is the same game.
'

It is obvious you have no clue what I am talking about because you were not alive during the NES era.  NES and SEGA Genesis where my era.  I even remember seeing the Mario Cartoons come on in the morning.  Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog both had cartoon series.  As I stated earlier: In that era if you said Mario brothers trilogy or all three of the Marios you were referring to Mario Brothers 1, SMB 2 American, and SMB 3 because Super Mario Brothers Japan did not exist in the United States during that era.  Also as some people put it referring to Lost Levels on SNES, it is nothing more then an expansion of the original SMB1.  (Back then we didn't have large Mario Sites that explained that was the game in Japan and we could care less whether it was the second Mario in Japan or not, SMB 2 was the American version in America.  No one I knew refered to the Japanese version as SMB 2).  It is no wonder I have problems talking to people on this board, none of you probably have even seen an NES or SEGA Genesis.  
Go Vols!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2007, 10:33:05 AM »
Well, I recall that the Mario Mania player's guide (circa 1991) explained pretty well about the whole SMB2 Japan business. So we didn't even need websites to tell us since Nintendo told us themselves. I know you said that if someone said that in the early 90s that's what they were referring to, but I never heard anyone refer to the 3 American NES games as "the trilogy". And I'm still going to call your "expansion" terminology completely inaccurate since it's a sequel and not a new level pack for the first game or something. I understand what you're trying to talk about but the fact is I've never seen anyone but you say any of this stuff, and for the record, I was quite alive during the NES era.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2007, 10:48:55 AM »
Also, volbound, your final sentence used a comma splice.

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2007, 01:54:12 PM »
'

It is obvious you have no clue what I am talking about because you were not alive during the NES era.  NES and SEGA Genesis where my era.  I even remember seeing the Mario Cartoons come on in the morning.  Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog both had cartoon series.  As I stated earlier: In that era if you said Mario brothers trilogy or all three of the Marios you were referring to Mario Brothers 1, SMB 2 American, and SMB 3 because Super Mario Brothers Japan did not exist in the United States during that era.  Also as some people put it referring to Lost Levels on SNES, it is nothing more then an expansion of the original SMB1.  (Back then we didn't have large Mario Sites that explained that was the game in Japan and we could care less whether it was the second Mario in Japan or not, SMB 2 was the American version in America.  No one I knew refered to the Japanese version as SMB 2).  It is no wonder I have problems talking to people on this board, none of you probably have even seen an NES or SEGA Genesis.  
Excuse me, I'm 37. I bought one when I was sixteen. Do you remember Magnum P.I's first broadcast? I think not (even though that is not relevant.)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:59:08 AM by SamBeckett94 »

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2007, 09:03:31 AM »
Well, I recall that the Mario Mania player's guide (circa 1991) explained pretty well about the whole SMB2 Japan business. So we didn't even need websites to tell us since Nintendo told us themselves. I know you said that if someone said that in the early 90s that's what they were referring to, but I never heard anyone refer to the 3 American NES games as "the trilogy". And I'm still going to call your "expansion" terminology completely inaccurate since it's a sequel and not a new level pack for the first game or something. I understand what you're trying to talk about but the fact is I've never seen anyone but you say any of this stuff, and for the record, I was quite alive during the NES era.

SMB 2 Japan is the first game, there are no new templates at all for that game.  BTW most people didn't have Mario Mania's player guide.  Everyone I talked to back then refered to the Mario trilogy or the three Marios as the American Marios.  People on this site are the first people I have ever seen challenge it.  So I guess we are in the same position just opposite points of view.

Then again, almost everyone around me is not as big of Mario fans I assume as you guys and don't care about research or about what games where in Japan or America.  They just played NES for fun.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:09:29 AM by volbound1700 »
Go Vols!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2007, 01:58:13 PM »
Your "template" business makes it clear that you do not understand how games are designed and programmed. Compare this with, say, the Mega Man series. I assume you will say that Mega Man 1 through 6 are all the same game as well because they share common sprites and basic gameplay mechanics, despite the fact that there are many aspects that separate each game from the others. Please explain your reasoning, at least as far as your Mario pronouncements are concerned.
That was a joke.

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2007, 06:28:22 PM »
It is obvious you have no clue what I am talking about because you were not alive during the NES era.
Neither were you, so stop pretending you're 23.
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 03:01:13 PM »
Your "template" business makes it clear that you do not understand how games are designed and programmed. Compare this with, say, the Mega Man series. I assume you will say that Mega Man 1 through 6 are all the same game as well because they share common sprites and basic gameplay mechanics, despite the fact that there are many aspects that separate each game from the others. Please explain your reasoning, at least as far as your Mario pronouncements are concerned.

They don't share the same templates... have you played Megaman 1-6, they look totally like different games.
In SMB II Lost Levels, the intro looks just like SMB 1, all the levels have the same design, only thing that is rearrange is blocks, enemies, pipes, etc. 

Go Vols!

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 03:02:49 PM »
My whole point was that NO ONE IN AMERICA could play SMB 2 JAPAN until it appeared on SNES as LOST LEVELS.  Therefore in America, Super Mario Brothers 2 was the American version, that is why it has Super Mario Brothers 2 on the cartridge. 

I am done arguing with you guys.  Obviously you have rock for brains. 
Go Vols!

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2007, 09:44:21 PM »
I actually love 'em all, but if I have to choose one, well, I already did, it was Super Mario Galaxy.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

Print