Print

Author Topic: Putting the S back in FPS  (Read 7230 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: April 08, 2006, 08:24:42 AM »
I know not a whole lot of people play first-person shooters here, but I've noticed something: FPSs are no longer about shooting. They're about crap like tactics or stealth or RPG elements and stuff like that. I think it started with GoldenEye 007. They started adding in things like enemy intelligence and strategy and whatnot. I mean, they de-emphasized shooting! In a shooter! The problem is, games like Serious Sam and BLACK grossly exaggerate the shooting; they're both good, but utterly mindless. Why can't we get another shooter like Duke Nukem 3D, with an emphasis on shooting, but not overdoing it? If there is such a thing (aside from Duke Nukem Forever), then can you recommend one?
every

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 11:45:57 AM »
Both Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 were great, but I don't know if you would enjoy them because they don't exactly use 'conventional' weapons (Samus's arm cannon).  Also, I havn't played MP - Hunters yet, but i have heard good things about it.
-------------

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 12:04:21 PM »
The Metroid Primes aren't first person shooters.

Although, Metroid Prime Hunters is. Go figure.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 12:10:44 PM »
YES THEY ARE.

You are Samus. (1st person)
You shoot stuff. (shooter)
1st person + shooter = 1ST PERSON SHOOTER
-------------

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 12:23:18 PM »
What defines a FPS game is the view. If you're looking through the player's eyes, while holding a weapon of some sort, it is an FPS game, which would make MP games all FPSs. But some people say that there are other certain requirements for an FPS. For example, MP 1 & 2 are different from MPH because of how you turn the yaw up, down, left, and right. In most FPSs, one analog/mouse/joy stick/etc.  is supposed to turn all too all angles, while the other buttons/keys/etc. are supposed to move your position forward, left, right, and backward. MP 1 & 2 use a different style than that-- One analog stick moves the angle left and right, and when you push it up or down, your position goes forward or backward.

I tried to explain it the best I could, so hopefully, you all understand. But on some things, I may be wrong. This is from what I've heard.

My favorite FPS is Half-Life 2 for PC. The mod for it called Garry's Mod is very fun. All you do is mess around with the physics and with endless possibilities for making contraptions.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 12:27:25 PM »
What defines a FPS game is the view. If you're looking through the player's eyes, while holding a weapon of some sort, it is an FPS game, which would make MP games all FPSs. But some people say that there are other certain requirements for an FPS. For example, MP 1 & 2 are different from MPH because of how you turn the yaw up, down, left, and right. In most FPSs, one analog/mouse/joy stick/etc.  is supposed to turn all too all angles, while the other buttons/keys/etc. are supposed to move your position forward, left, right, and backward. MP 1 & 2 use a different style than that-- One analog stick moves the angle left and right, and when you push it up or down, your position goes forward or backward.

OK, thanks.  I have just always considered MP 1 and 2 to be FPSs.
-------------

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 02:38:09 PM »
FPS doesn't literally mean "first person shooter". It just describes a certain type of game and that became the standard name. Real FPS don't have stuff like lock-on and L-Strafing. Metroid Prime is close, but it's really some sort of first person Metroid game. It's the exact same genre as Metroid, really -- platforming power-up collecting or whatever you want to call it.

It's just like RPG doesn't literally mean "role playing game". You play roles in ALL games, but you don't go around calling them RPGs.

Metroid Prime Hunters, though, is a true FPS. It's basically Quake reborn on DS with a Metroid-y skin.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 03:53:43 PM »
Yeah, I don't have Hunters, but my friend does, and he loves it.
-------------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 05:37:46 PM »
First person games don't have to be shooters. Sheesh.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 11:51:58 PM »
I don't really know anything about FPS's (ask ViRUS, I suppose Battlefield 1942 counts as one). To me, an FPS is where you see through the player's eyes (you can't see the player, but you see what they would see) and shoot people. First person, seeing through the pl;ayer's eyes, and shooter, shooting.
Edit: There also must be exploding barrels. A lot.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 03:21:58 AM »
First person games don't have to be shooters. Sheesh.

First person games where you shoot don't have to be shooters, even. That's what people don't get. Maybe you just have to have played lots of them to understand. Bird Person is actually on the right track with the exploding barrel thing, but I guess the Primes had that. :/

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 05:11:15 PM »
While I agree that first-person shooters must have a certain viewpoint, control style, etc, I firmly believe in the importance of "tactics" and strategy. I enjoy a good shooting game that also makes me stop and think.

I also stink at the "shooting-only" type games.

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 06:11:56 PM »
So, Half-Life wouldn't be considered a First Person Shooter then, would it?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 07:13:43 PM »
I would say yes.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 08:28:27 PM »
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Half-Life is a first-person shooter. Hardcore. Why would you think otherwise?

Print