Print

Author Topic: TMK Mafia Game  (Read 2471 times)

« on: May 10, 2005, 10:17:11 AM »
Game: open for players
Time limit: until whenever I feel like it

Has anyone ever played Mafia before?  My friends and I used to play it a few times in school and let me tell you it was really fun and suspenseful (unless you were bad at lying like I am).  And now that I got out of school and have more time on my hands,  I thought it would be a good idea if we played my version of the game here at TMK.  Sure, it’s not as fun as the real thing since you can’t hear the people talking nervously or watch them squirming in their seats, but this could still be fun.  I’ll explain how we can do this over the internet but first I’ll expalin the rules of my version if anyone doesn’t how to play (but prepare to possibly get very confused and bored if you do read this for the first time).  If you want to skip these rules and just figure it out as you go, that’s fine too.  But make sure you read internet rules below.

-----------
     Characters: Okay, here’s the skinny.  Several people sit together in a room and are divided up into teams and individual roles.  Most of the people are townspeople, 3 of the people are mafia, 1 person is a detective, and 1 person is a nurse (and they are both part of the townspeople).  The mafia are trying to get rid of all of the townspeople by killing them or making them throw each other in jail so that they can rule the town.  They do this by pretending to be part of the townspeople but secretly working together and agreeing on who to do away with each turn.  The townspeople must think carefully and try to discover who is part of the mafia and then agree on someone to throw in jail in the court cases.  The detective can guess on who is part of the mafia and ask the host of the game--in this case me-- who they think it is and they will tell them if they’re right or not, and can go on to try and convince the townspeople.  The nurse has the great power to protect people from being killed by choosing one person to protect from danger each turn (but they can’t tell them they are a nurse or lie about it and the same goes for the detective).

------------------
     Game rules: The game starts.  First the mafia will talk among themselves during the “night” and decide on one person to eliminate.  Then the nurse will choose one person to save (if the mafia choose that one they must choose another).  Finally, the detective can choose a person that they think is the mafia and the host will tell them if they are or not, and they can go on to influence the people without looking suspicious.  The townspeople wake up now and the host will tell them who died and is out of the game.  Then the fun begins and everyone must talk among each other and try to figure out who killed them using their own intuition and facts from who has been killed and stuff.  The mafia will try to act like them and lead the suspicion off of them and make their own accusations.  Then the host will ask the people to choose 3 suspects and then must vote again and narrow it down to one person, and that person will be thrown in jail and removed from the game.  This continues on for awhile until the numbers drop down, and things get very interesting.  If all 3 members of the mafia are thrown in jail, then the host will tell you so and everyone else will win.  However, if all of the townspeople are thrown in jail and at least one mafia member is safe, then the mafia team wins.  If this is all over your head, don’t worry, I can help a lot during the game.  Anyone let me know if you have comments or questions about this.

-----------------------
     New internet rules: Now on to the important stuff.  Since we are all in different places of the world right now and can’t sit in the same room and all that (and everyone can see what we type) we’ll have to make a small adjustment.  In order for the mafia, detective, and nurse to talk to me without others hearing them, we’ll need to use an email system.  Yes, that’s right… an email system.  First I’ll randomly select the 5 or less people for their different roles (and by random I really do mean random), and then I’ll send them emails about who they are and what they should do.  Everyone can talk to me but cannot talk to the members who talk to me (except for mafia).  And also, if you don’t get an email and I start the game, that means you’re just a townsperson.  So, is that about as clear as mud?  Let’s get started!

This game is open for 7-12 people so it doesn’t last too long (number of characters may decrease with less people).  After that it will be closed to other people until the game ends and someone else can take my place as host (unless I decided otherwise).  I suggest that you only play this game if you have some time on your hands, don’t mind the chance of a little extra email, and have a general idea of how to play or a little patience in learning as you go.  So, who wants to play? *cue the crickets*

"Do you got a mullet goin’ on?"

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 5/13/2005 6:54:08 AM
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 07:56:47 AM »
Come on, guys.  This game is awesome!  I know it may sound really complicated but I can help out with any questions you have and it's pretty easy when you figure it out.  Just forget about the instructions and take a chance!

The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 01:24:59 PM »
I'll play (and I have played before in real life), but this really doesn't seem like it would work out too well over the internet.

It would be a lot better, however, in the chatroom. Maybe if enough people signed up, we could have a night in the chatroom for a game of this.

Also, many of us will be at E3 next week...

“Using the Semicolon can sometimes be a tricky proposition from a syntactical perspective!”

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 02:26:14 PM »
I'll play.

I have actually seen a game like this before, it used cards, and instead of the mafia, it was on person who was the "werewolf".

Coconut Mike-N-Ikes->Marios preferred candy
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 07:42:40 PM »
Great, two people!  I did think about the possiblity of E3 messing with this, but I don't mind waiting or whatever during that time.  But I think you're right about the chatroom working out better so people can talk faster. Unfortunately I probably wouldn't be allowed to talk in the chat rooms but you can feel free to host it yourself if you wanna, Lizard D.

CMN: We also used cards in our games, but we called the angels "nurses" and had no werewolves.  There's quite a lot of great ways to play this game and I'm sure that mine ain't that great (but at least it's not very complicated either).

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 08:50:55 PM »
Why wouldn't you be allowed to chat?

“Using the Semicolon can sometimes be a tricky proposition from a syntactical perspective!”

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 03:00:45 PM »
Ehr... let's just say it's a cautious thing.  Sorry, I wish I could but my parents just want me to be safe online.  Otherwise I'd love to.  I could still ask and say that it wouldn't involve personal things like usual chatrooms but I don't know if that would change things.  Not trying to make people dislike my parents!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 06:30:12 PM »
Be a man and sneak chat. Geez. If you're playing mafia, you should know how to lie..
200 characters and nothing to say.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 08:15:04 AM »
I'm terrible at lying, even in games.  And I really hate to lie anyway because it makes me feel rotten inside and I'll probably get caught anyway.  I've learned some tough lessons from lying in the past.

Is someone going to start this game in the chat rooom?  Because I want people to be able to play this but don't have much time anymore.  I have to do a lot of things now like set up my new computer, get ready for my new job, read the fascinating information about my new checking account, and more.  I should have known that I would run out of time, but maybe some day I can try again.  If people want me to.

Print