Print

Author Topic: Concerts  (Read 10904 times)

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
In this topic you can discuss concerts you've attended, and if you've any interesting stories to tell, tell them.

I've been to a lot of concerts. I've seen artists Yes, the Moody Blues, Hanson and Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey many times, and I've also been to a ton of classical concerts. Artists I've only seen once include Bob Dylan, Rush, Steppenwolf, Kansas, Loverboy, Grand Funk Railroad, Pato Banton, Ky-Mani Marley, and Laura Goldhamer.

The night after I saw Dylan, I went back to the same venue (The Brady Theater), to see Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band performed in its entirety by Todd Rundgren, Lou Gramm, Denny Laine, Bo Bice, Jesse Gress, Greg Hawkes, Prairie Prince, and some other guys I can't remember. It was an excellent show.

When I saw Pato Banton and Ky-Mani Marley, they were at a reggae festival at Red Rocks in Colorado. There were other artists, including The Wailers with a new singer.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:52:32 AM »
Only one I've ever been too is Weird Al.

...well, unless you count that one Mormon band.
No! I don't want that!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:03:03 AM »
Did they throw Jell-O on the audience during the show?

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:55:36 AM »
Back when I lived in Georgia we went to a bunch of shows to watch a relatively unknown bluegrass band. (My dad helped them fun enough money so they could produce a CD)

Other than that... yeah, Weird Al.

I should be going to see some other bands perform later this year, which I really look forward to.
I'm a horrible person.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
I've never been to a concert before in my life, and I never plan to. I like hearing the singers sing, not the people listening to the song. ;P

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
Although it depends on the venue and everything, you should be able to hear bands just fine.

Actually I just remembered something... I went to a Jessica Simpson concert. Don't ask. It was free and I was bored. The most I can say about that is that her band is pretty good.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
I've never been to a concert before in my life, and I never plan to. I like hearing the singers sing, not the people listening to the song. ;P
Horribly misinformed.  I've never had a problem with hearing the music, even in the worst of venues.  On the other hand, I'll have a terrible problem communicating with someone standing right next to me, but text messages handle that.

Been to just a few.  Not too much exciting, favorite was the Freshly Dipped Tour last year featuring Hieroglyphics*, Musab, Knobody, Tanya Morgan, and Blue Scholars.

* – sans Del tha Funkee Homosapien :(

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
I have been to four concerts, in this order.

Queen+Paul Rogers (won tickets off of 94.7 WCSX)
Rob Zombie+Ozzy
Linkin Park (best concert)
Tribute to Hendrix
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »
I suppose I'll highlight some of the best, followed by an anecdote or two.

Jethro Tull was my first concert. Pretty fun time. The first half of the show was very classically-oriented. When I went into the lobby during intermission, I overheard a conversation. "Man, they is playin' Okistro music in there." Mmhmm.

Porcupine Tree -- Great concert, great music. They came out playing their entire album, Fear of a Blank Planet. I had the opportunity to get a signed poser before the show, so I was walking around with it in my pocket when an inebriated chap came up to me saying, "what are you, and architect or something?"

Yes -- Without Jon Anderson was sort of a pity. Benoit David, who was recruited to replace Jon Anderson, was actually pretty good, but Yes was missing something.
     The punk-rock chick standing next to me had never heard of Yes. When Steve Howe began playing his solo on Siberian Khatru, she turned to me and said, "HE IS AMAZING." I nodded my head in agreement.

Genesis -- Horrible show. There were far too many 50-year-old women who wanted to hear "Follow You, Follow Me," all the while ignoring the brilliant Gabriel-era music that was played (when it was played). The show was a money tour, not geared to the fans of old Genesis, but to the pop-loving baby boomers.

Fish (of Marillion) -- Excellent show. I didn't know a lot of his solo work, having only known him via his work in Marillion, but he really brought his music alive with his passion and energy. Even if you've never heard of him, you ought to check him out.

Spock's Beard / The Flower Kings / The Rocket Scientists / California Guitar Trio / Neal Morse / Transatlantic / IZZ -- This was my first Progressive Rock festival. It was certainly something special, because three of my favorite bands came together on one stage. I got to meet several of the members of the bands, and talk with people who have a similar taste in music as I do.

There are others, but these are the best I can remember.

Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »
Was the Yes concert on their latest tour, or was it when Jon was working on one of his solo projects?
What's your problem, Cambodian?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »
Decatur, IL has this big free festival every summer called Decatur Celebration, and all of the real (meaning not local Christian bands) performances I've seen have been there. Acts I've seen over the past few years include Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Those Darn Accordions, War (twice, but it's the new War with only one of the original guys), Dennis DeYoung (twice, playing a bunch of Styx songs and a few tracks from his new album that hadn't officially been released at the time but they were selling it at the show), and Edgar Winter (twice, and the second time they played Frankenstein and it went on for like half an hour). There was a Plain White Ts concert (which I specifically avoided seeing) about a block away from the second Edgar Winter set, and I missed a chance to see the Sugarhill Gang one year. There were also a couple of tribute bands I've seen there, a Beatles tribute and a Paul McCartney tribute.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to get to go this year because it's the same weekend as Wizard World Chicago the Chicago Comic-Con.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:07:51 PM »
Was the Yes concert on their latest tour, or was it when Jon was working on one of his solo projects?

The latest tour.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
I suppose this is the time to state that Drama is one of my two favorite Yes albums.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
You killed it.

I've got a cousin who went to one of the shows in Justice's A Cross The Universe tour and got a couple videos of the Metallica and Franz Ferdinand remixes.
every

Print