Poll

Do you play Homebrew Games?

Yes
5 (33.3%)
No
10 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Print

Author Topic: Do you Homebrew?  (Read 9746 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 11:27:56 PM »
I like having physical copies of stuff and doing historical reenactment of video gaming. But for stuff that hasn't been translated, emulation is fine. I don't emulate much but when I do I only use save states for quicksaving.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
Ah! I forgot all about the issue of save states. I also only use them if I need to quit playing--not for insurance. I used to use them to prevent bad things from happening all the time. I guess I got tired of Resetti digging holes through my computer screen. And also, they're more volatile than normal saves. I didn't realize that "Snapshot" in SNES9x GX was pretty much "Save state," saved one, and accidentally went all the way back to the beginning of Twoson from Fourside. And I had bought the T-Rex's bat as Jeff by selling cookies and bread. I was pretty upset.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:50:08 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 08:48:22 AM »
I don't like Homebrew at all. The people who created it ruined the Nintendo Wii. This is because now the Virtual Console is useless if you can get the games on there for free. That takes away money that Nintendo rightfully deserves. Emulation and hacking on a new system is just ridiculous; it ruins everything by creating so many problems in gaming communities and companies, and many skilled people can lose a match in a game because someone else decided to hack and cheat their way to achieve some goals.

Here's an example:

Once, I was playing Mario Kart Wii. I was playing Balloon Battle online, and one of my teammates was hacking. He stood in the middle of GBA Battle Course 3, and he had a permanent Mega Mushroom, Star, and he also had a constant supply of Winged Shells and Red Turtle Shells. We won the match so easily with barely any effort. Meanwhile, someone on the other team could've been an extremely good player with a very high BR rating, yet lost because some unskilled or unconfident player decided to hack.

I don't mind hacking in older games, but doing it for newer games is pointless. It takes the fun out of the generation that won't come back again. Besides, it's hard to enjoy the game in the first place when you have hackers and people not willing to pay an easily-obtainable $5 to get a game.

I just find it sad that people have to resort to such things, especially since they're able to afford the $250 for a Wii, however much for a computer, and online connectivity.

Homebrew haters, I ask, do you at least respect the Brawl hacking teams?

I respect the Brawl hacking teams for their effort, but I think what they're doing is pointless. What's the purpose of a texture hack, other than to look cool? You're just playing a character with a modified look. All characters' attacks remain the same, as well as the physics of the game and everything else it has to offer.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:55:27 AM by hydrakiller4000 »
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 10:57:39 AM »
I respect the Brawl hacking teams for their effort, but I think what they're doing is pointless. What's the purpose of a texture hack, other than to look cool? You're just playing a character with a modified look. All characters' attacks remain the same, as well as the physics of the game and everything else it has to offer.
The point is that they're just having fun.
For example, I would've loved seeing Luigi fight as Mr. L, but that didn't happen.  If I had or wanted Homebrew, I could use it to hack Luigi's textures, and make him into Mr. L.
It's not really harming anyone.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 11:12:20 AM »
The people who created it ruined the Nintendo Wii. This is because now the Virtual Console is useless if you can get the games on there for free. That takes away money that Nintendo rightfully deserves.

lolololololololololololol
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 01:10:26 PM »
??????????
"Taking away" money is when you don't buy them through VC. You don't have to not buy them on VC.
Also, you aren't taking money. You just aren't giving it to them.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 01:38:37 PM »
I'd like to add another point I should've made earlier:

If hacking Brawl to make new character skins is pointless, isn't complaining about it even more pointless?
every

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 07:03:21 PM »
Is there a hack that makes sticker-collecting reasonable? 'Cause I'm this close to bursting a vessel.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »
Brawl costume hacking pointless? It's quite possibly the most meaningful thing I do right now.
It's YOUR problem!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 09:49:46 AM »
What's more important than making samus' zero suit no suit?

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
??????????
"Taking away" money is when you don't buy them through VC. You don't have to not buy them on VC.
Also, you aren't taking money. You just aren't giving it to them.

Okay, then you're just not giving them money that they should've gotten. That's because they would've earned that money if you got games off of the Virtual Console the right way, not using hacks to get them for free.

I'd like to add another point I should've made earlier:

If hacking Brawl to make new character skins is pointless, isn't complaining about it even more pointless?

Yes, it is. That's why I'm not complaining about it; I'm posting my opinion of it.

Software that is normally purchased can be obtained for free with many types of software. In this case, no one really considers it from the company's point of view. You may not care, but they certainly do, and them missing out on profits could potentially affect the products we receive. Maybe you shouldn't complain about Nintendo making their games "worse." You may be the cause of that because they're not making as much profit as they intend to, so they're just putting things out there to make a good profit. They already lose billions of dollars from pirating, so you can't say that it's not affecting them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:12:18 AM by hydrakiller4000 »
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
False dilemma.  If you were to take away piracy as an option, many people would simply not play the game at all, and awareness would be dropped.  I first played Super Metroid on an emulator.  The result?  I buy Metroid games.  The EarthBound fan community most likely consists primarily of people using emulators.  There is an overwhelming support to have the game released for Virtual Console.  See a pattern?

Also, I'm fairly sure everyone here is considering it from the company's point of view, but I'm also going to hazard a guess that you're just assuming that whoever you were addressing right then complains about Nintendo making games worse.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »
To some people, Pirating games, like Earthbound is a way to show Nintendo how much money could be made if they would just bring the game to VC.
Emulating ROMs is illegal, but it can also send a message.  The negative is that the intended message does not always reach the corporation.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »
I'd like to speak on the behalf of DS homebrew:

Colors and Moonshell are awesome. That is all.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
Lawyers who want changes to EarthBound to avoid possible attempted lawsuits + Nintendo of America people who refuse to make those changes

=

EarthBound is never going to be released on the Virtual Console.

Fire up ZSNES, everyone. Or if you're better than that, search Wiibrew for SNES9x GX. A good SNES emulator for Wii.
It's YOUR problem!

Print