Print

Author Topic: Return of the Dark Lord (the fanfic)  (Read 4419 times)

« on: May 15, 2006, 03:47:53 PM »
Hello all,

I am pleased to inform you that I have just started a fanfic, and I have the first chapter ready for posting!

Please note, everything in between *'s is meant to be in italics.

S U P E R  M A R I O  B R O S.
RETURN of the DARK LORD

CHAPTER ONE
Painful Memories

The wind was blowing violently against the roof of Super Mario's small and uncomfortably cramped house. He lay on his small bed, still awake from the haunting of his nightmares. He looked hopefully at his twin brother in the bed next to him. *I shouldn't wake him*, he thought to himself.

Super Mario and his brother lived in the Mushroom World, a world quite different from any other. It was split into many kingdoms, some of those being the Mushroom Kingdom, Sarasaland, the Beanbean Kingdom, and the Dinosaur Islands. He used to live in the busy city that was Brooklyn, New York, but due to a frightening twist of fate, he was brought to the Mushroom World.

The small man rose from his bed and walked groggily into their even smaller bathroom. He looked into his reflection in the mirror.

It stared back at him.

He studied his reflection: intense blue eyes, brown hair, and a bushy black mustache. He sighed when he realized he had deep circles under his eyes. Super Mario turned on the water faucet and cupped his hands under the cool stream. He swirled it around a bit in his hands before splashing it in his face.

*Just wake up*.

He reached for a towel and dabbed it over his forehead before wiping his face dry. He tossed it on the counter, turned off the water, and went back to bed, wishing only for sleep.

----------

The morning came before he knew it. His nose caught on to the scent of bacon, and he followed it into the kitchen, only to find his younger brother cooking breakfast. Luigi was his name, and he carried the same features as Mario, blue eyes, brown hair, black mustache, and the difference physically was that Luigi was taller and a bit slimmer than his twin.

"Good morning," he said. Mario didn't reply, but took a seat at the round wooden table. A plate of bacon and eggs was set before him about five minutes later, and Luigi sat down across from him. Mario's mind was still on the events of last night.

No one spoke.

----------

Super Mario left their house soon after. The weather had cleared up a bit since last night, which made Super Mario feel a bit better. He strode down a dirt path and passed through a small bunch of trees. There was a great clearing on the other side, and not too far was Toadtown, the city just south of the princess' castle. The Mario brothers had saved the princess (actually, the whole kingdom) from an evil creature called Bowser. His army of mutated turtles (better known as koopas) invaded and turned everyone to stone, imprisoned the princess, and took control of everything. When the Mario brothers arrived, they were confronted by seven star-like beings (who watched over the land) and were informed that here, they had powers beyond their imagination, and it was their duty to defeat Bowser and rescue the princess.

Bowser was run out of the kingdom, and wasn't heard from again.

He and the princess (after she was saved) became rather fond of each other, and soon fell in love. Super Mario was currently on his way to visit her, for he knew she could get his mind off of things....

Or at least he hoped.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:53:24 PM by Ludwig »
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:22:30 PM »
This(so far) is one of the better Mario fics I've read. It actually sounds like something I was planning to write, but this came out much better. I hereby give this fic a The Chef's Official Seal of Quality(for the time being).

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:04:10 PM »
It's been a while since the last update...I'm just now writing this stuff. Anyway, here's chapter two of "Return of the Dark Lord".

CHAPTER TWO
Angelina Toadstool

Princess Angelina Peach Toadstool was a stunning woman. Her golden hair flowed elegantly down her back and her blue eyes sparkled in the sunshine. Her castle matched her in beauty. It was a massive stone structure and the inside was a sight to see. A massive chandelier hung above the foyer, and just above the entrance doors was the largest window in the castle. It was stained glass, and on that was a picture of a beautiful woman with blond hair...

Super Mario had just passed through the large gates that separated Toadtown from the Castle, and was greeted by the guards with a smile.

"Good morning," the small mushroom soldiers said.

"Good morning!" Super Mario smiled.

The sight of the princess's castle already rose his spirits.

He heard the gates clink shut behind him as he followed a short cobblestone path that lead him straight to the wooden double-doors that was the entrance to Angelina's castle. He raised his fist to knock, but the doors swung open. Two mushroom retainers stood behind them. Super Mario recognized one of them as he and his brother's good friend, Toad.

"Hey, Mario! What brings you here?"

"Oh, I'm just on a visit." Super Mario didn't know the other mushroom retainer, which was a woman with shoulder-length brown hair.

"The princess is in her room," Toad smiled. "She's been expecting you." He thanked the small man and started up a flight of stairs and down a hallway. He entered through the only door on the hallway, and he was greeted by a large room with an attractive balcony in the front. Super Mario strode over to a woman who was looking out at her kingdom. He placed his hand on his shoulder, and the woman turned her face. She looked rather bored, but when she saw the plump man, she smiled.

"Mario, it's great to see you!"

"It's nice to see you too," he returned the smile.

----------

Luigi exited the small house and walked over to a shady tree where he took a seat under it. He sighed and smiled, looking at his surroundings. *It's a beautiful day*.

He then cracked a book open and began to read.

----------

Super Mario had been at Angelina's castle for a few hours now. He rose from his seat on the balcony, preparing to go home.

"I really should get back now, Luigi is probably wondering-" Super Mario never finished his sentence. There was an odd buzzing noise in the air. "Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Angelina stood completely still. "I don't hear anything,"

"It must be nothing..." Super Mario looked over his shoulder nervously, as if expecing for something terrible to hop out from behind the wall.

The noise became louder.

"We should go inside," he took Angelina's delicate hand and led her in her room. Closing and locking the doors behind him, he turned to see a puzzled look on the woman's face. She opened her mouth to speak, but her voice was interrupted by a deafening explosion. Super Mario ran out of her room, and headed down the hallway. The last thing he saw was a small, dark figure. It spoke words, but Super Mario did not hear them.

The last thing he remembered was hitting the floor.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:10:16 PM »
You have a lot of righting ability and great creativity and originality. Keep it up Ludwig!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:58:07 PM »
BAM! Chapter 3!

CHAPTER THREE
A Close Save

Luigi woke up. He was still sitting underneath the shady tree, a book opened on his chest. He stood up and stretched, but something caught his attention. He sniffed the air, and he smelled something out of the ordinary.

It was smoke.

He looked up, and a dark black mess of it was shifting slowly over his home.

Instinctively, he darted out from under the tree, following the same dirt path that his brother did when he left for the princess's castle...

Three hours ago.

"No..."

The castle soon came into view, but it was not at all what he wished to see.

The structure had been destroyed. Part of the front wall had collapsed, and there was a raging fire coming up from the rubble. Luigi's eyes darted towards Toadtown, and it, too was in ruins. He ran at a breakneck pace until he reached the entrance to the small town and fell to his knees, gasping for air.

Bodies littered the street, the gate that separated the town from the castle had been ripped to pieces, and homes and shops had been mutilated. Horrified, he stepped in front of the castle.

*Mario can't be in there...*

He didn't want to take any chances.

The tall, slender man burst through the flame and found himself in the foyer...or what was left of it. He began to run, but thick black smoke obscured his vision and he tripped over a large bit of the ceiling. He felt many sharp objects enter his left arm, and he screamed...more out of shock than pain. He reached for his injured limb and felt it:

There was glass sticking out of it.

*The chandelier*, he thought. *It must have shattered when...something...came barging in here*.

With a grimace, he pulled the razor-sharp bits of glass from his arm and continued up a broken staircase. To his left was a large pile of rocks that had removed from the walls. He knew there was a hallway in that direction, but there was no way he was going down there anytime soon. So he continued to his right. There was a hallway like the one to his left, but this one wasn't blocked off. He headed down it, barging in every room, hoping only to find someone...anyone...

Unfortunatley finding nobody, he headed down another hallway that connected off of the one he was in, and there was only one door on the hall. He entered it, and he found himself in a bedroom. As far as he could see it was devoid of people...

"Help!" an unfamillliar voice called out. It was a female.

"Where are you?" Luigi shouted. "Where are you?"

"Under the bed!" Luigi ran over to the large king-sized thing and looked under it. Sure enough, there was a small mushroom woman tucked under it. She had deep brown hair that fell down to her shoulders, and her eyes were a watery green. Luigi reached for her and pulled her out.

"I'm getting you out of here!" he led her downstairs and to his horror, a large bit of what was left of the foyer ceiling had fallen and blocked the door that would lead the two to safety. Luigi cursed silently, and turned to the woman.

"What do we do?"

"I-I don't k-know..." her voice trailed off. Luigi studied her face, and she looked to be in her early teens. Tears rolled down her cheeks, and she looked around. If they didn't get out soon, they would surely suffocate or burn alive.

There was a silence.

"Find a way out, my brother is still in here!" Luigi said at long last. He bolted back up the stairs, but stopped halfway.

*This isn't right*.

He turned around and the girl was still rooted to the spot with a look of true horror on her face. Motioning for her to follow, he reached the top of the stairs and stared at the pile of rubble. "We have to find a way to get past this!" he shouted over the roaring flame.

"How do you know he's behind there?" she hollered back.

"I'm sure of it. Got any ideas on how we're going to get over this wall?" Luigi looked at the girl. He saw her examining it, and though the thick black smoke, he saw her face light up.

"Up there! The rubble doesn't reach the ceiling!" she jumped up, and Luigi saw that she was right. "I want you to lift me over it!"

"Then how am I-"

"Just do it!"

"Listen-"

"Do you want to die in here?" her voice was suddenly serious.

"I-well...no. Here." He lifted her up, and with a bit of struggle, she was over the pile.

"Can you hear me?" she shouted.

"Yeah! Is...is Mario okay?"

"He's unconsious..."

"Just tell me how to get over there and I'll-"

"Get yourself out! I can deal with this! I know plenty of secret exits to this place..."

"But...how?" Luigi coughed. He couldn't last much longer.

"The dining room! GO!"

Luigi looked around, and headed down the stairs. He landed hard on his feet as he jumped the last seven steps. He turned to his left, and there was a large door that he couldn't believe he missed at the entrance. He passed through it and was led into a massive room. Upturned tables, chairs, and other broken items were scattered on the ground.

His sight began to grow dim, and Luigi began to run accross the room, for there was a massive, broken window at the very end. He was slowly losing consiousness as he ran, but the window was so close...

*No, not now!* He fought to stay awake. The window was so close now, and he reached it only just in time. His eyes were on fire as he fell a ten foot drop and landed on his wrist. He heard it break, and he shouted out in pain. Glancing at it, he noticed it was sticking out at a very odd angle. It was hard to get up, being barely consious, having a broken wrist, and a badly cut up arm. He slowly rose from the ground and looked for the woman and Mario, but there was no sign of them.

He looked helplessly around for someone...something to help him.

"Help!" he shouted weakly. He hobbled around to the east side of the castle, where he saw a small figure walk straight through the solid castle wall. It was dragging another, larger being with it. Luigi swayed on his feet and coughed some more.

"Mario..." the words barely left his mouth before he stopped fighting and let unconsiousness take over...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 07:54:13 PM »
You sir, are the greatest fanfic writer who ever lived.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 08:05:20 PM »
amen
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 08:29:35 PM »
Chapter 4 is short and sweet.

CHAPTER FOUR
Aftermath

Luigi came to. There was a haze surrounding his brain and he couldn't remember where he was. He lay flat on the ground, his face staring into the deep black sky.

Then he remembered.

He lay outside what was left of the princess's castle, his brother and a small mushroom woman propped up against a shattered fountain that was in front of the structure. Luigi rose from the ground with a grimace. He reached up to scratch his head and...

"Ouch!" he let out a quiet scream. He had forgotten that he broke his wrist after he fell out of the window...

The mushroom woman sturred, and she rubbed her eyes lazily.

"I thought you'd never wake up," she coughed, wiping black ash from around her eyes. "You've been out for hours."

"Mario...is he okay?"

"Yeah, he's actually sleeping now."

There was a silence where Luigi studied his wrist, only to find it red and very swollen. He couldn't move it.

"What's your name?" Luigi broke it.

"Victoria."

"Well, Victoria, where do you suggest we go?"

"I...I don't know."

More silence.

Luigi took time to scrutinize Victoria's facial features.

She had a small nose with round green eyes. He couldn't tell much more, for her whole face was covered in black ash. He imagined his was just the same. Despite Victoria's innocent and petite appearance, she was quite a tough person.

Super Mario stirred beside her.

"Mario..." Luigi limped over to his brother and embraced him. "I didn't know if you were okay..."

"I'm fine...I'm fine..." he sighed. The short man rose from the ground and looked around.

"Where do we go?" Luigi asked again.

"Well," Super Mario sighed. "We could always follow Pleasant Path and see where we end up." He motioned vaguely behind him. Pleasant Path was a long road that connected Toadtown to other parts of the Mushroom Kingdom.

"I guess that's the only choice we have..."

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 07:21:16 PM »
Long time, no update. However, as short as this one is, here is chapter five.

Chapter Five
The Dark Lord

Far, far away on the south peninsula of the Mushroom Kingdom was a dark castle. No one in the land dared go near it...in fact, nobody even knew it was there, or what unspeakable evil lurked in its dark halls...

A tall, slender figure sat gazing out of a tiny window that was found in the tallest tower.

It was a woman.

On her face was an expression of deep sadness and worry, for she was in the castle of none other than the King of the Koopas, Lord Bowser.

Nobody knew of his return to the Mushroom Kingdom a few months ago, and he planned to keep it that way. His koopa soldiers guarded the entrance and surrounding area. Small airships guarded the skies. Koopas armed with bows and arrows were found on the higher floors of the castle.

Nobody got in, and nobody came out.

The massive being trudged up a long, winding staircase and soon came to a small wooden door. (With difficulty) He stepped into a small room in which the Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom was being held.

“Good afternoon,” his voice was speaking in a false, soothing tone.

“What do you want?” the woman spat.

”I was just checking on you,” he kneeled down next to her. “To make sure you didn’t try to…*escape*.”

“Mario will be here soon, just like last time!” Angelina shouted.

“Oh, don’t be so sure.” He was speaking in a low whisper now. “I don’t even think he knows I’m here. The kingdom will be mine before he ever discovers it.” Bowser stood up and headed to the door, ready to leave.

“Filth like you doesn’t last long in my kingdom.” She muttered.

“What was that?” Bowser frowned and strode back over to her. “I don’t think I heard you.”

“I said, filth-” Bowser’s trash can sized hand connected with her face, knocking her off of the flimsy wooden chair.

Bending over her, he said, ”I could kill you right now. I could squash you like the bug you are! But no…I won’t. Things are just getting interesting.” He stroked her cheek with his razor-sharp claw, leaving a long trail of blood where he did.

“Good night, princess.” He closed and bolted the door shut behind him.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 05:10:15 PM »
The last update was on the 29th of May...wow. Well, folks, I have for you the sixth chapter for those who are reading.

Chapter Six
From Bad to Worse

The three trudged slowly on and on through the long and winding Pleasant Path. The sun was just starting to rise, and due to their condition, hadn’t covered much ground. Super Mario sighed and looked over to his brother, who was slouching and holding his wrist.

“Just hang in there,” Super Mario placed a hand on his back. “We’ll find someplace soon…”

“Let’s hope, because we call need a place to-”

“Hide!” Super Mario picked up Victoria and jerked Luigi behind some bushes.

“What’s your problem?” Victoria frowned.

“Shut up!” Mario placed a hand over her mouth and peered over the hedge. Two koopas were walking along the path, one with a blue shell and the other with a green shell. They were chatting with one another. “No...” He didn’t want to believe it…Bowser...back in the Mushroom Kingdom? *No!* He was run out a year ago, and he was presumed dead. His army was scattered and he was injured. Super Mario noticed the small Mushroom woman peeking over as well, and she sighed in relief.

“Mario, those are not Bowser’s soldiers!”

“What?” he sighed and began to think. *Of course! Pleasant Path leads to Koopa Village…not all koopas are evil…just the ones Bowser brainwashed*.

“Besides, they’re unarmed.”

“Hello there,” a friendly unfamiliar voice said. They all looked up and one of the koopas was standing over them, and to their great relief he was smiling. “That’s kind of an odd place to hide, don’t you think?”

“I’m sorry…we’re in a bit of trouble…”

“Wait a minute…I know who you two are!” he motioned vaguely to the twins. “You’re Mario and Luigi!”

“Yes, but please, let us explain our problem…the princess, she’s gone!” Luigi said. The smile was wiped clean off of the koopa’s face.

“Kooper, come here!” the second koopa ran over to them.

“Yeah?”

“I need you to go back to the village and get help. Raise the alarm. Let nobody in or out. Go.” His voice was stern.

“O-okay…” Kooper was a bit confused, but he followed orders anyway.

“You three follow me.” The four walked quickly down to Koopa Village. “I should have known there would be trouble following those airships…”

“What did you say?”

“I-I said…”

Super Mario cursed and stopped in his tracks.

“So it really is the work of Bowser.”

“Well…we can’t be so sure of that…”

“I am.”

Koopa Village was small and quiet, but now, it was anything but quiet. Koopas ran to and fro in fear, gathering their children or other loved ones.

The koopa who led the three to the village climbed the nearest tree and shouted.

“Everybody!” he waved his hands in the air. He didn’t need them at the moment because he was perched semi-comfortably on a branch. “Up here!” he shouted. “I need all of you to stay calm, for we are now with the Mario twins!”

Most everybody stopped and stared at the two.

“As long as we are with them, we are safe! But for now…head into your homes! The twins and I shall discuss what is to happen.” He hopped down from the three and ran over to the three.

“Now, we’ll start by patching up your wrist, Luigi.”

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:06:01 PM »
The plot thickens.......

Print