Poll

How should you spell it?

Doughnut
Donut
Print

Author Topic: Tasty Torus Topic  (Read 9034 times)

« on: December 17, 2006, 11:50:02 PM »
Let the epic battle commence.

No holds (maple) barred.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:11:05 AM »
Neither. How about DOUNUT. Only because it looks like Doumit (Ryan Doumit is one of my favorite major leaguers but you say his name DOE-mitt).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:29:02 AM »
I'm sorry, that isn't a valid option. Please select one from the listed choices.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:42:12 AM »
Donut all (chocolate or cinnamon) the way!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 11:15:03 AM »
I spell it as, "Doughnut"
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 12:59:54 PM »
I spell it the British way, Ye Olde Doughe-nutte.
every

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 01:28:05 PM »
See, I'm just against extra letters for nothing in general. I'm assuming "donut" looks natural enough to not bug anyone, so let's just go for it.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:38:43 PM »
Ok.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 02:09:05 PM »
Donut, It easier to spell!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 02:17:16 PM »
"Donut" looks wrong to me. I used to spell it like that, but "doughnut" is so much more... fulfilling. Besides, there really isn't anything in "donut" to indicate that the "o" is a long-sounding "o", which could cause some foreigners who have never seen the word before pronounce it "DOO-nut" instead of "DOE-nut".

Both spellings are listed on www.dictionary.com, but the definition for "donut" just has a link for "doughnut".
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:21:31 PM by bobman37 »

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 02:26:32 PM »
Its Donut.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 02:32:44 PM »
Doughnut.
Donut.
According to Firefox 2.0's spell check, "Donut," is correct and "Doughnut," is incorrect.
Perhaps the original word was "Dough nut," but developed into "Donut."
In my opinion, of course, bear claws, sticky buns and such are way better than doughnuts/donuts.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »
Sapphira's Nitpickiness

donut > doughnut
okay > OK
dialogue > dialog
theater > theatre
advisor > adviser
gray > grey (I untrained myself with this one; I used to prefer "grey")
lasagna > lasagne

Variations that drive me insane because they exist, but I have no preference for:
ax = axe
omelet = omelette

Variations that bug me when people don't know how to properly use:

blonde (f) = blond (m); either if unspecified, I think
brunette (f) = brunet (m); brunette if unspecified

British variations of words bug me, particularly when Americans use them and/or they mix and match American and British spellings.
It also annoys me when people add "s" to certain words, like "forwards," "towards," and "anyways."
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 03:24:46 PM »
I vote Donut.

BTW what's a torus?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 03:35:29 PM »
A donut.
Also, what the heck to the gender differences in hair colors. I never saw that before now. Also, "blonde" shows up as a non-word in Firefox. Heh.
I like how you said "British variations", as if we had the American spellings first. Some newspaper in Chicago or something decided to make some words more "American" than the way they were spelled Britishly and before that we spelled like them for the most part. I think.
That was a joke.

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 03:49:28 PM »
donut > doughnut  vs.  dialogue > dialog

^ I find that interesting, Sapph. What do you think about analog vs. analogue?

Also, I don't think it's an English rule to follow gender-correct adjectives.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
Dhoe-nhutt

Sorry, I tried to invent a new way to spell it.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 03:59:08 PM »
Analog > Analogue.
Monologue > Monolog
Now that IS interesting. It probably has to do with what I've been used to seeing. Hmm... Analog(ue) is used more in technical context, whereas monolog(ue) and dialog(ue) are used more in artistic/theatrical context. I think that's why I like analog being simple, but the other words being pretty and fancy and "eloquent"; I like associating context with spelling to give it a mood or something.

As for "gender-correctness," I don't know, but it should be, since we already have both variations. I think it's kind of cool, assigning each variation to designate gender, rather than the variations being random.

"D'oh! Nuts! Mmm, donuts..."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 04:00:57 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 04:23:19 PM »
A donut is a doughnut and a doughnut is a donut. Same thing. I prefer to spell it donut, though. Heck, I spell it both ways. Wow, two red lines in Firefox.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 05:03:01 PM »
I often use British spellings.  I think that may be because so many of the books I read in high school and college had British authors.  I'm not sure why, but I have a habit of ending words that end in "th" with an "e".  Maybe it's a British thing, but more likely because of the commonly typed "the".  I also often use nonexistent spellings, but Firefox is helping with that.  Many of my typos are because of the way I talk. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 05:48:49 PM »
Donut. Everyone already knows its made of dough anyway so why spell it out for them?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 05:57:21 PM »
In reality, it's "doughnut".  It all started when I opened my bakery, and, with my great dissatisfaction of the way they tasted, I made my own, superior kind.  I put up signs that say "We take the 'ugh' out of 'doughnut'", and that's how they appeared on the menu, "donut", with its convenient same pronunciation.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »
Donut. For some reason, "doughnut" makes me think of fat, tons-of-cream-inside pasteries insted of normal donuts.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »
Well, though I do agree both can be used correctly, I prefer (anything chocolate) doughnut. It seems more original and "right." Anyway(s), they're made out of dough, so why should the "ugh" be taken out? I mean, people still feeel "ugh" after eating a few, being they know that they've ingested something unhealthy, right?

Some defiitions from Google include "In geometry, a torus (pl. tori) is a doughnut-shaped surface of revolution generated by revolving a circle about an axis coplanar with the circle." and "a ring-shaped surface generated by rotating a circle around an axis that does not intersect the circle."
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+torus
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 07:33:28 PM »
Ughhhh, we always have to get Google involved, don't we?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 08:01:27 PM »
SushieBoy is anti-learning and pro-whining.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 08:03:15 PM »
Fried dough cake.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 10:20:12 PM »
Donut. Doughnut is too formal. And Firefox says it's wrong.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 11:55:49 PM »
I don't care. I won't go crazy over either spelling, though I can say I first knew of the "Donut" spelling because I saw it on the "Dunkin Donuts" logo as a young child. Then I saw the "Doughnut" spelling and then thought, "hm, maybe the Dunkin Donuts people shortened the word so the words would have the same amount of characters in the logo".

Then I saw the apostrophe in the logo (which I intentionally left out in my post for this reason), and then I threw my hands in the air and checked a dictionary, which showed both spellings. So, I don't care. If the dictionary says both are acceptable, that's okay with me.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 03:26:58 PM »
Donut. Doughnut is too formal. And Firefox says it's wrong.

Chrome says Doughnut is right and Donut is wrong. Interesting.

Apparently I originally voted Doughnut on this, but I'm not so sure anymore. Donut looks wrong, but of course, any word stops looking like a word when you spend so long analyzing it. I guess it just looks too similar to Don't?

The thing about Doughnut is that having Dough be recognizable in there starts raising the question of where the Nut comes in. Reminds me of the Action Button reviews about how the more Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock try to make sense, the more obvious it becomes that they don't make sense.

Turns out it's actually an interesting turn of synecdoche. The original doughnuts were actually nut-shaped balls of dough. Later on, the ring doughnut and filled doughnut became more popular, and somehow or another the ring doughnut ended up being the one popular enough to drop the adjective, and then 200 years later, the original doughnuts are called doughnut holes. Knowing the history makes things make more sense, as I'd always wondered why jelly doughnuts counted as doughnuts when they weren't toroidal.

So doughnuts have been around for about 200 years, and the "donut" spelling has been around for at least 111 years. Not nearly as much of a neologism as I'd expected.

By the way, Chrome's spell-checker doesn't recognize "synecdoche" so it is officially dead to me.

Anyway, now I'm starting to prefer Donut because of how many times I've typed Doughtnut and had to go back and fix it. Typing Donut flows so much more smoothly.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »
As of right now, Firefox (release 8.0.1) says "doughnut" is correct and "donut" is not.

I generally don't have to write the word out, so I don't have much of a preference.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58:19 PM »
Great Rao my old posts were stupid.

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:50 PM »
21 incorrect votes?

You Americans sicken me.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 02:05:07 AM »
Great Rao my old posts were stupid.
I have bad news for you.

Print