Print

Author Topic: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games announced for Wii and DS  (Read 30345 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:03:14 AM »
Mario and Sonic will appear together in a game for the first time in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, announced today by Nintendo and SEGA. Based on the upcoming Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, a lineup of familiar characters including Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Yoshi, and Tails will compete in a variety of events on the Wii and DS. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is scheduled for a Holiday 2007 release.

Link: Official Site
Link: NOA Press Release
Link: NCL Press Release
Link: SOA Press Release
Link: Sega Co. Press Release
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:49:39 PM by Deezer »

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 04:27:03 AM »
Wow, this is quite the occasion, a Mario and Sonic game. I'll bet that people from the Genesis years never saw this one coming. But I guess plenty of people got their wish, a Mario and Sonic game. Fortunately, this means a greater chance of Sonic characters in SSBB. Finally, however, people morons will stop asking stuff like "omg wut if mario and sonic got in 2 a fite????????" Well, at least a good number of them hopefully will.

Of course, it's obvious that Sonic can run faster than Mario. That was one of the main reasons for creating Sonic. Additionally, I'm not sure if it's linked from Deezer's article, however here's an image one guy in #tmk showed us. Looks legit to me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 04:41:37 AM by SolidShroom »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:35 AM »
And I thought the crossover in Mario Hoops was weird! How (or rather, will) Nintendo explain this one?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:43:51 AM »
When I first heard that NOA was putting Mario and Sonic in a game together, my heart stopped. I almost thought they were going to confirm that Sonic was in SSBB.

A pretty weird announcement. Like, finallly bringing two mascot charcter together for...the olympics? Still, once we get some screenshots, this game is pretty interesting. But, who's developing it? Sega or Nintendo?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 06:59:56 AM »
http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=12172

Another website claiming this to be true
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »
Umm, we got press releases directly from Nintendo and Sega.  We don't need "confirmation."

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »
It's great that Mario and Sonic characters are finally appearing in a game together, though I hate how Toad isn't even mentioned in the press release.

I hope Toad also appears in this game. I wonder who his Sonic character rival would be?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 11:33:13 AM »
0__________________o

The only thing I have to say is that it reminds me of the episode of the Superman animated series where Superman got sidetracked while having a "Fastest Man Alive" race against The Flash.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:04:40 PM »
I hope Toad also appears in this game. I wonder who his Sonic character rival would be?
Hmm, maybe a Chao?

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
Dang. I knew it had to happen someday, but I didn't think it would be so soon. Mario and Sonic finally get a game together.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »
As someone who grew up in the 1990s, I can't wait for this.
I'll think of a better signature later!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »
Well, this falls into the category of one of those sports spin-offs I don't really care for. Sonic's inclusion has nothing at all to do with my decision to not get this game. On the subject of Mario + Sonic... I don't know. Does Sonic really fit into the Mushroom Kingdom? Does Mario fit into... Err... (my Sonic knowledge is minimal, sorry.)

Edit: I'm all for Sonic in Brawl, though. Super Smash Bros. is already a Halloween bag of a game as it is, so why not?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:19:44 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 08:21:14 PM »
Well, this is "at the Olympic Games," so we don't have to worry about Mario and Sonic being out of their respective lands. Though the location opens another can of worms...
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:41:04 AM »
I thought this was an April Fool's joke for sure until I realized one thing. If it were, they wouldn't have drug the Olympics into it and gone to the trouble of using the offical logo. With that said:

W T D

Also, good job immediately writing this game off, Bird, after hearing nothing but the title.

P.S. I call Mario for the high-jump and Sonic for the 100m dash. Also Knuckles for wrestling.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 07:58:05 AM »
And Yoshi, Luigi, or Tails would all be good for the long jump.

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 08:57:57 AM »
This should be good ^_^.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 02:09:05 PM »
At some point yesterday, I was reminded of Scooby-Doo's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics because of this.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 03:50:50 PM »
At some point yesterday, I was reminded of Scooby-Doo's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics because of this.
Oh my god!  I remember that show!  I used to have a VHS of it.  The Really Rottens were so funny!

As for this game, I probably won't get it unless I read really good reviews for it.  I'm really not a sports person.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 04:49:13 PM »
Well, what, I don't care for sports spin-offs, LD. I think that by the look of the title I can safely assume I won't care for this game.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
Heh, this is that thing that people have been thinking about. I'm anticipating this because of this new move Nintendo and Sega have pulled and because it's going to be ported on the Wii and DS. I think it's safe to say for me, that I'll be looking into both to see the two different uses of innovation.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 07:02:01 PM »
So I was wondering who was in charge of developing the game, and I was fearing it was Sonic Team, who's latest track record ranges from absolute crap (Sonic 360) to improved, but still mediocre (Secret Rings). Luckily, it seems Sega Sports is the developer, with Miyamoto overseeing the project.

Hopefully, this game is their way of saying "Sorry hopefuls, Sonic ain't in Brawl, so here's your Mario/Sonic crossover you've been wanting, in a non fighting but still competitive form".

I'll probably be buying it, but I just hope they get rid of the 4kids VA's because they make my ears bleed.

P.S. One last chance to leave your mind scarred with a mental image: Eggman vs. Bowser Olympic Sumo Wrestling.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 11:21:11 PM »
If this causes Mario to end up in the Sonic comic, I will poop muh pants!

Probably not, though, since they've been working the games into the storyline less and less lately.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »
Of any Sonic game that gets worked into the comic, this ain't gonna be it, unless Archie decides to start running a Mario comic, which could be awesome, but also has more potential to be royally screwed up.

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 09:24:50 PM »
Does anyone else have the feeling that this is an April fool's day joke? Here's an arguement I posted on another forum concerning the subject:

Quote from: On another forum, I wrote this:
Does anyone else have the feeling that this is an April Fool's day hoax? Upon further thought, it seems so. I mean, seriously, why would Nintendo and Sega bring together two of the greatest video game franchise characters, Mario and Sonic, and thus bring to life everyone's greatest dream... for a game based on the olympics? Olympics-based games haven't been known for being sleeper hits, so why would Nintendo and Sega bring together Sonic and Mario for the sole purpose of one? Mario and Sonic at the olympic games sounds like a game that would be in one of my dreams. Nintendo isn't really known for developing lisenced titles like these in the past, opting for their own franchise characters.

This interview at GameDaily further makes me think this is a joke. Why would Shiguru Miyamoto be so heavily involved in a title like this? Isn't he busy directing Super Mario Galaxy? The olympics aren't the most watched event on American television, so why would Nintendo waste their time on it? And why aren't there any screenshots? Usually, when a game is announced, screenshots are released to back up it's existence (I think they'll show some April 1st)

This is a very clever joke. Even I was fooled. Plus, part of me still believes this game is real. If it is real, then Sonic in SSBB isn't too far off. Nintendo may not have done lisensed titles before, but they have done other weird things before, so perhaps it isn't too far-fetched. I hope this game is real. My logic says no, but my faith says yes. They probably announced it today so few would suspect it's a hoax.

All we can do now is wait...

What do you guys think?

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »
I have the one rebuttal to this being a prank.

Japanese sites have pages on it, and Japan doesn't celebrate April Fool's Day.
I'll think of a better signature later!

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 06:54:45 AM »
Does anyone else have the feeling that this is an April fool's day joke? Here's an arguement I posted on another forum concerning the

Nope. It's been on so many websites and all over the web that if it was an April Fool's joke, it would be the cruelest, most anger inducing joke that I doubt it would get one laugh. So many really want this to happen, like myself. You don't want to see this piece of paper mad.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 08:59:24 AM »
The corporations don't play jokes. News publications do. Why would they get a license as hard to get as the Olympics for a joke?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 10:30:17 AM »
How come people are so set on thinking it's false and then going and trying to prove to other people with their minimal reasoning that it isn't? "The one rebuttal..." Um no, MB already posted a much better one on the first page. Stop thinking you're unraveling some kind of mystery because you're not.
That was a joke.

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 10:57:43 AM »
How come people are so set on thinking it's false and then going and trying to prove to other people with their minimal reasoning that it isn't? "The one rebuttal..." Um no, MB already posted a much better one on the first page. Stop thinking you're unraveling some kind of mystery because you're not.

I never said that. I just thought I'd post my thoguhts on the subject. Unless you were talking to someone else.

The corporations don't play jokes. News publications do. Why would they get a license as hard to get as the Olympics for a joke?

Google is a big corporation, and they've played jokes on April fools day in the past, like last year's Google romance.

Oh, and perhaps they didn't get a license. Do we have physical proof that they did?

Nope. It's been on so many websites and all over the web that if it was an April Fool's joke, it would be the cruelest, most anger inducing joke that I doubt it would get one laugh. So many really want this to happen, like myself. You don't want to see this piece of paper mad.

Yeah, people have done some cruel jokes in the past. A couple years ago, LD did one where he posted as his brother and said that LD died. It's up to us to realize that most things announced on April first or near that day are more than likely hoaxes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:59:21 AM by Robert »

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 11:05:23 AM »
Yeah, people have done some cruel jokes in the past. A couple years ago, LD did one where he posted as his brother and said that LD died. It's up to us to realize that most things announced on April first or near that day are more than likely hoaxes.

LD is not a member of a huge corporation like Nintendo. If a corporation lied, they'd have all kinds of crap from everyone.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 07:58:54 AM »
This is an April Fools Joke, not because it's fake, but because it's a... joke. I'm with Robert on this one.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 10:21:31 AM »
I can't wait till this game comes out. That'll show you non-believers!

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »
LD is not a member of a huge corporation like Nintendo. If a corporation lied, they'd have all kinds of crap from everyone.

Uh, Robert just said that Google has made April Fool's jokes in the past, and, as he said, Google is a big corporation. People still constantly use Google, regardless of something they did last year.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 11:37:29 AM »
I think Google's going to be getting more crap this year than for any other AFD prank they've done...

Also, I'm not particularly looking forward to this game, simply because I don't have a Wii or a DS, and am not really into sports games.

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »
Uh, Robert just said that Google has made April Fool's jokes in the past, and, as he said, Google is a big corporation. People still constantly use Google, regardless of something they did last year.

OMG, I can't believe this..............

This is not an April Fools Day joke.

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 07:28:30 PM »
Oh wow...I never said it was an April Fools Day joke, I was just pointing out that big corporations sometimes make April Fools Day jokes. Personally, I don't believe this to be a joke, but even if it was, it's not like people will stop buying Nintendo games.

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 10:45:11 PM »
Well, I just hope it's not a joke........guess I'll find out in 18 minutes.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
geez what the heck argh come on what the heck for crying out loud what
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2007, 09:14:11 AM »
Wow, I leave and all the good game press info is realeased, what's wrong with me? Comming to late at everything!? Oh, and I hope this title is changed, it's too vauge for my taste, how 'bout: Mario and Sonic Battle to the End In Some Random Stadium With other Minor Characters!" Butttt, the question is, who's name will appear first in the title? Sonic or Mario? It's sure to change.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2007, 01:09:43 PM »
I think it should be shorted to "Mario & Sonic at the 2008 Olympics".

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »
How would Nintendo or Sega know that Mario and Sonic are going to the olympics? *shifts eyes* Dun dun dun!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2007, 04:42:54 PM »
I think it should be shorted to "Mario & Sonic at the 2008 Olympics".
Why? That name is only one character shorter than the current name.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2007, 05:24:23 PM »
It is? Well, it rolls off the tongue better.

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2007, 01:16:12 AM »
What about that Wii-DS connectivity.
Think this title will utilize that.
~TMK''s resident mute~

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2007, 07:28:29 AM »
You'd figure if this was so real, some other major online news sources would have something about it by now...

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2007, 04:01:30 PM »
Uh what?  Everybody's reported on this, and there have been numerous interviews with Nintendo and Sega reps about the game.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2007, 07:27:30 PM »
Not from what I've seen, is all I'm sayin'...

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2007, 07:43:25 PM »
In that case, I don't think you've seen enough information. And you haven't seen the date, either.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2007, 07:59:31 PM »
In fact, you might be blind.

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2007, 08:37:16 PM »
Yeah dude, pratically every gaming site I've been to has had at least some information on the game.

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2007, 05:21:13 AM »
This is...strange! But if it is gonna be released...we better see Mario and Sonic sword fighting...that would be cool...that'll decide the fate of the Mario v.s. Sonic Animations I see on Newgrounds (gooooood site)
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2007, 06:57:36 AM »
Mario and Sonic are no longer at war dude. That ended like.........years ago.

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 08:27:12 AM »
^ Did you join just to say that? >_>

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2007, 09:55:04 AM »
I know I'm late saying this, but this is exactly the kind of crazy-weird Mario/Sonic crossover I've been waiting for. I mean, Solid Snake in SSBB is awesome enough, but this is awesomer. I may be a little naive (especially since every other Olympics-related game is crap of the highest order), but I'm going to buy a Wii just to play this game. I mean, I was already, but now I really will.
every

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »
My favorite two characters in the same game, now thats awsome, Mario from the Mushroom Kingdom and Sonic from the planet Mobius(I'm unsure his kingdom is but in the comics of Sonic theres a castle and I think its called Acorn Castle, therefore, I just predict the kingdom is Acorn Kingdom, I just saying this.) and both of them in the Olymics.
Mario rocks, Sonic rocks, both of them ROCKS THE HOUSE!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »
The Sonic games and Sonic comics don't take place in the same continuity. The Mobius thing was thought up by the guys who wrote the comics. Otherwise, Sonic lives on a warped version of Earth.

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2007, 09:48:22 AM »
Talking about the comics again, that Mobius does almost look like a warp verson of Earth. Really, when I talk about Sonic I always talk about the games and comics together.

Oh yeah, I been thinking about why Nintendo and Sega making this game for. You know some people want Sonic on SSBB, well I been thinking that Sonic might be a unlockable character if you have a game save data on the Wii of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games and I think that going to be a secret on Super Smash Bros. Brawl(SSBB), but I just thinking this.
Mario rocks, Sonic rocks, both of them ROCKS THE HOUSE!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
Not a good idea to mix the comics and game together. They're two completely different continuities and you're likely to confuse those who are only a fan of one of them.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »
Actually, I hope Nintendo implements the save data unlocking thing. For people too lazy to unlock the characters the hard way, you could have a Sonic & the Secret Rings save and unlock Sonic, and so on, like how you unlock special weapons in the Ratchet & Clank games.
every

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
The Mobius from the Sonic comics is actually Earth in the far future, after being genetic bombed by an alien race known as the Xorda.

I have a thing for the Archie Sonic comic.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
I always thought Ken Penders was a bit nutty in the head after seeing everything he did to the comic. The new Ian guy isn't too bad now.

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2007, 03:45:43 AM »
To be a good comic writer, you need to be at least a bit nutty in the head.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2007, 09:09:38 AM »
Yeah, except a good majority of the comic's run was not all that good.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:49:40 PM by The Chef »

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2007, 02:29:06 AM »
I think you...        GOOFED UP!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
Typos are bad mojo. >_>

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
The one time they FINALLY decide to put them in the same game is an OLYMPIC GAME!? Did you know that decathlete was released for the sega saturn 10 years ago on the same release date as this?

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2007, 02:03:29 AM »
No I did not know that.

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2007, 08:45:11 AM »

Daisy and Vector the Crocodile are confirmed to be playable.

Daisy as a speed type nd Blaze as a balance type? Shouldn't they basically switch? O_o

Oh and FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2007, 11:24:07 AM »
Yeah, I guess that makes sense, but I figure they want two from each franchise in each division.

P.S. I would pick Stanley the bugman or Mighty the armadillo over Waluigi any day.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:01:19 PM by Boo Dudley »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2007, 03:12:39 PM »
They shoulda used Mighty in place of Shadow and Fang in place of Blaze. Daisy and Waluigi could've easily been replaced by Toad and a Koopa Troopa.

silverstarman

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2007, 03:30:37 PM »
They shoulda used Mighty in place of Shadow and Fang in place of Blaze. Daisy and Waluigi could've easily been replaced by Toad and a Koopa Troopa.

Hah, that's alot of characters for an athletic game. Maybe you can unlock them...but who knows?

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2007, 03:52:51 PM »
Sweet! Look at all the playable characters! I'm pumped about this game.

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »

As much as I hate to admit it, Mighty and Fang are no longer canonical and therefore won't be appearing any time soon. It would be a foolish decision not to put Shadow in, though, as he is the 2nd most popular character behind Sonic, and Blaze is probably not unpopular as well. Still, Daisy as a Speed type seems like a strange decision, as does Vector's appearance in the game at all.

Still, Vector's appearance shows that the Chaotix are growing in their roles as playables, which imo is good to see.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2007, 04:32:46 PM »
I had known of the new characters for a while, Also, anyone notice the title? Mario comes before Sonic, wonder If Sega had any complaints.

PS: You read my mind, Ultima :D

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2007, 05:34:33 PM »
I am pleased Waluigi made it to this game. I'd hate to see him replaced by a koopa.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2007, 08:08:31 PM »
Well, at least there isn't a certain fat feline in sight...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2007, 10:52:25 AM »
I'm disappointed by the lack of Donkey Kong. He's already snubbed in the Mario Party games, he shouldn't get left out of this one.

Hopefully, he's included as a secret character, but then again, that would mean we might end up getting Big as his counterpart.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2007, 11:42:11 AM »
As much as I hate to admit it, Mighty and Fang are no longer canonical and therefore won't be appearing any time soon. It would be a foolish decision not to put Shadow in, though, as he is the 2nd most popular character behind Sonic, and Blaze is probably not unpopular as well. Still, Daisy as a Speed type seems like a strange decision, as does Vector's appearance in the game at all.

Still, Vector's appearance shows that the Chaotix are growing in their roles as playables, which imo is good to see.

I don't see how not being used much anymore makes a character "no longer canonical". The official Sonic Channel hosted this character poll last year and Mighty proved to be pretty popular. You never can tell with Sega. Heck, it was enough of a miracle that the Chaotix made it into Sonic Heroes.

I'm disappointed by the lack of Donkey Kong. He's already snubbed in the Mario Party games, he shouldn't get left out of this one.

Hopefully, he's included as a secret character, but then again, that would mean we might end up getting Big as his counterpart.

Maybe Sega wants to represent the core Mario franchise and not other franchises that remain tied to it in some way.

silverstarman

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
I had known of the new characters for a while, Also, anyone notice the title? Mario comes before Sonic, wonder If Sega had any complaints.

I bet.

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »
I don't see how not being used much anymore makes a character "no longer canonical". The official Sonic Channel hosted this character poll last year and Mighty proved to be pretty popular. You never can tell with Sega. Heck, it was enough of a miracle that the Chaotix made it into Sonic Heroes.

It's generally assumed that the pre-Sonic Adventure games are set in Mobius, whereas the post-Sonic Adventure are on Earth, so, unless there was a drastic event responsible (a giant Chaos Control, for example, like on Sonic X), all games before Sonic Adventure and all games including and after it should be considered two different storylines. Therefore, if they are two different storylines, and the older storyline is no longer being followed and also non-canonical, then all unique characters from that storyline, such as Mighty, Bean, Bark, Sally, Ray, Fang, Antoine, Sally, etc. are non-canonical.

And now, to contradict my entire post, I do wish some of the older characters could come back; it's just that I think they won't, and they wouldn't have the same history and maybe not even the same character if they did.

EDIT: Never mind me, I'm stupid. x_X
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 04:01:35 AM by Ultima Shadow »
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2007, 04:13:03 PM »
Two seperate storylines? Where did that notion come from? The whole "transported to Earth" thing is from Sonic X, which nobody likes, and Mobius is only referred to in the cartoons and comics. Therefore, Sonic games have always been set on Earth. A crazy Earth, but still Earth nonetheless.

silverstarman

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2007, 04:40:55 PM »
The Chef is right. Most of the original sonic games werent, though.

Print